Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Flylow leathers are awesome. Can't remember the model name but they are dexterous enough for boot buckles, skins etc and warm down to -10c no problem.

I put a XL latex glove over the top when it's pissing down, and a thin wool liner and/or medical glove (vapour barrier) underneath when it's cold as fuck.

Last a season of patrolling and free skiing with limited sewing needed all for 40$.

These ones-

I have a pair of BD Dirtbag gloves that have lasted 40-50 days. They're warm down to high teens, and frequent application of Nikwax leather wax has kept them reasonably water-resistant for that time. They are very good for touring in the PNW, in the sense that I almost never want to take them off while skinning but my hands stay warm on the descent. I've heard the BD leather is thinner than on the Kinco or FlyLow gloves, though, and I don't think they're going to last the rest of the season. Will have some Kincos tomorrow.

If you have long fingers, Rab Guide gloves have been my warm gloves and are quite dexterous. OutdoorGearLab ranked them the most dexterous in their winter glove test. Might be good to try on.

Vertical cut: On sale at backcountry
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 10.03.15 AM.png
Views: 1214
Size:  296.6 KB
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Scott Teton is like a warmer, less dexterous, cheaper version of the Hestra VCF.
    Good under the cuff glove.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Hestras are pretty meh in a wet climate. My hands get cold easily. I used to swear by hearts but haven't looked back since going to OR gloves.
    Thanks for the tip. OR make great shells and pants IMO. I wasn't aware they produced a decent glove as well.

+1... FreeThePowder! Great product at an exceptional price, and they have great customer service, too. The SX Gloves with removable liners are more dexterous than the RX.

https://www.freethepowder.com/collec...ski-glove-sale

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    I've heard the BD leather is thinner than on the Kinco or FlyLow gloves, though, and I don't think they're going to last the rest of the season. Will have some Kincos tomorrow.
    Okay the BD Dirtbag gloves are way thinner and more dexterous than the Kincos. Still don't think they'd be that comparable even if they were both new. Highly-scientific comparison below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170307_173804454.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	761.2 KB 
ID:	201892

the BD's are goat skin

some Kincos are goat

http://www.kinco.com/glove-101/materials/

here is a handy guide^^ to materials and shit

I've already told y'all that AQS is the shit for fixing gloves so I don't need to mention it

we don't get Kincos up here in the land of plaid and poutine eh?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Glove recommendations

Live in cold climate, hands run cold. Spend a lot of time outside. Here's my two cents.

Bd dirtbags are not warm. In fact many of the bd leather gloves I've had are not warm. I have both the spark and the squad gloves and while awesomely durable and good fitting, I can't say they're warm. They are both a 25 to 30 degree glove for me. The dirbag is a spring glove for me or a driving glove.

Kincos get the nod for me quite often when touring in about 20 degrees. If not sealed with sno seal they're always wet which blows. When cold (sub 15) I use a "two part" glove made by Pow. I would not recommend the glove but the system I like. It has a very nice silk weight liner that manages moisture well. I suppose a quality liner of any kind stuffed into the medium weight glove of your choice would work. Maybe even a kinco flylow type glove I guess. But I like the liner because I just take the outer glove off for ripping skins. I'm not coordinated enough to rip skins with gloves on. Cant stand it.

On cold lift serve days I wear something similar to the bd guide glove that's very well insulated.

Fwiw I wear kincos probably 100 days a year between skiing, moving snow, hauling wood, etc. if you can find a combo with kincos you're happy with i personally think they're hard to beat.

That and a heavier glove for really cold days is the ticket for me. All the other gloves I have get worn comparatively little.

Perhaps I'm a bit of a princess when it comes to fit, but to me Kincos and Flylows (and quite a few more expensive models) fit like a sloppy $10 construction gloves. I want a mid-weight glove that can easily manipulate all my backcountry ski gear, and I'll happily compromise multi-year durability for fit and sensitivity. I've found some (but not all) high quality leather Outdoor Research and Hestra models work well, but that Black Diamond is the most consistent for fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    Okay the BD Dirtbag gloves are way thinner and more dexterous than the Kincos. Still don't think they'd be that comparable even if they were both new. Highly-scientific comparison below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170307_173804454.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	761.2 KB 
ID:	201892
    How did you take this pic with both hands occupied?

Quote Originally Posted by justcuz View Post

Fwiw I wear kincos probably 100 days a year between skiing, moving snow, hauling wood, etc. if you can find a combo with kincos you're happy with i personally think they're hard to beat.

That and a heavier glove for really cold days is the ticket for me. All the other gloves I have get worn comparatively little.
    I use wool glove liners under my Kincos so if I'm trying something off, or really need to be dexterous AF, I just slip the Kincos off for those few minutes but still have my hands insulated. My wife bought me a pair of these Ibex wool glove liners for Xmas and they seem tough and warm. They're also perfect for the skin track to add just enough heat and avoid blisters on pole handles.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I use wool glove liners under my Kincos so if I'm trying something off, or really need to be dexterous AF, I just slip the Kincos off for those few minutes but still have my hands insulated. My wife bought me a pair of these Ibex wool glove liners for Xmas and they seem tough and warm. They're also perfect for the skin track to add just enough heat and avoid blisters on pole handles.
    I like it. Might snag a pair

Hestra Job Winter Ozone. $40, or 2 for $60 from Hestra. All goat, proprietary waterproof breathable membrane, dextrous, warmer than Kincos. No knit cuff. I'll save the Kincos for warmer days and work around the house.
    https://www.hestrajobusa.com/c/weath...ther-resistant

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Hestra Job Winter Ozone. $40, or 2 for $60 from Hestra. All goat, proprietary waterproof breathable membrane, dextrous, warmer than Kincos. No knit cuff. I'll save the Kincos for warmer days and work around the house.
    https://www.hestrajobusa.com/c/weath...ther-resistant
    I was very disappointed in these. The goat leather is not very durable. Cuts under the fingers from not very sharp edges in less than an hour of using them brand new. Had high hopes as I thought they would be perfect spring gloves.

For the record they were the white Kobalt winter flex czone ones. Got them for $12 so can't really complain that much. The run large too, order L (9) and wish I got Med's. I wear a 9 otherwise.
    Last edited by Soups; 02-19-2018 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    I was very disappointed in these. The goat leather is not very durable. Cuts under the fingers from not very sharp edges in less than an hour of using them brand new. Had high hopes as I thought they would be perfect spring gloves.

For the record they were the white Kobalt winter flex czone ones. Got them for $12 so can't really complain that much. The run large too, order L (9) and wish I got Med's. I wear a 9 otherwise.
    You sure they're exactly the same? $12 would be much much cheaper than the pair(s) linked above. ( I'm referring to the $59.99 2 pack)

Anyone else have any real life feedback on the hestra ones? Deal seems really good and kincos are plenty warm for me most days they take a long time to break in too.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    You sure they're exactly the same? $12 would be much much cheaper than the pair(s) linked above.

Anyone else have any real life feedback on the hestra ones? Deal seems really good and kincos are plenty warm for me most days they take a long time to break in too.

Yep. Exact same as the white ones pictured.

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    Yep. Exact same as the white ones pictured.
    Yeah but the post with the link was for the 2 pair @ 59.99 are those different leather or should one expect those to wear as poorly as the whites?

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Yeah but the post with the link was for the 2 pair @ 59.99 are those different leather or should one expect those to wear as poorly as the whites?

Not sure. When I click on the link it shows like 5 options. These are the ones I got and they're goat...

https://www.hestrajobusa.com/p/kobol...esistant?pp=12

I have the white Kobolts winter flex as well. They're much lighter insulation and are leather palm side only. I've been using them for a few years as spring gloves (which means on and off all winter here) without problems. The ones I've posted about are much warmer and are all leather. I've only been using them for a month My son has been using them too. The one problem is that they aren't as breathable as a non membrane glove like Kincos.

Goatskin is goatskin I think. If durability is the priority thick pigskin is a better choice--ie Kincos. That said, I have a pair of very lightly lined deerskin gloves I've used for about 15 years and they're still intact. The goatskin is much more dextrous than the pigskin and the thinner the leather the more insulation--so there's always a tradeoff.

These are the ones I'm talking about. https://www.hestrajobusa.com/p/winte...esistant?pp=12
    I think the leather in these is a little thicker than in the Kobolts but I wouldn't swear to it.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I have the white Kobolts winter flex as well. They're much lighter insulation and are leather palm side only. I've been using them for a few years as spring gloves (which means on and off all winter here) without problems. The ones I've posted about are much warmer and are all leather. I've only been using them for a month My son has been using them too. The one problem is that they aren't as breathable as a non membrane glove like Kincos.

Goatskin is goatskin I think. If durability is the priority thick pigskin is a better choice--ie Kincos. That said, I have a pair of very lightly lined deerskin gloves I've used for about 15 years and they're still intact. The goatskin is much more dextrous than the pigskin and the thinner the leather the more insulation--so there's always a tradeoff.

These are the ones I'm talking about. https://www.hestrajobusa.com/p/winte...esistant?pp=12
    I think the leather in these is a little thicker than in the Kobolts but I wouldn't swear to it.
    Good enough endorsement to get 2 pr for $60. Thanks.

Have you worn other hestra? What size are you? They say they run tight. I wear a 10 in the vertical cut.

I live in a cold climate and run cold (skinny and lanky). I use the Flylow Ridge glove and it keeps my hands warm to about 0 F. Any colder and I have a wool liner. They're fine for boot buckles and zippers but I would say they're dexterous as fuck but they've held up well.

I'll probably try the FTP gloves after they Flylow's wear out.

Skied in 10 degree weather yesterday in my new Hestra Fall Line 3-fingers. I was surprised my hands didn't freeze. All my previous gloves, I've had issues in those temps. Anyone ever noticed these are dextrous AF?

To Javier's point, they have a limit on precip. 2 days prior, I soaked them through in only about 3 hours of PNWet slush storm skiing, but I hadn't yet caked sno-seal on there (just the hestra balm). I have sno seal on there now, and it seems like it will stretch that 3 hours to 4-6.

re: expensive, sure, but not if they last as long as all u hestra-ownin' mags say they do, and not if I didn't waste a shit ton of money trying 17 different gloves over the past 5 years. In that light, not only dextrous AF but also cheap AF.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Skied in 10 degree weather yesterday in my new Hestra Fall Line 3-fingers. I was surprised my hands didn't freeze. All my previous gloves, I've had issues in those temps. Anyone ever noticed these are dextrous AF?

To Javier's point, they have a limit on precip. 2 days prior, I soaked them through in only about 3 hours of PNWet slush storm skiing, but I hadn't yet caked sno-seal on there (just the hestra balm). I have sno seal on there now, and it seems like it will stretch that 3 hours to 4-6.

re: expensive, sure, but not if they last as long as all u hestra-ownin' mags say they do, and not if I didn't waste a shit ton of money trying 17 different gloves over the past 5 years. In that light, not only dextrous AF but also cheap AF.
    i beat my vertical cuts for about 6 seasons. Snowsealed once a season, thats about it. If I really needed to wear em i still could but they're a bit long in the tooth. Probably best gloves I ever owned. Old time mag grabbed them for me in Denver when they had a factory sale or whatever...those failed on me fast. Sent in for warranty and got a new the new pair above... I cant stomach $179 for a pair..hell even $100 is spendy if you ask me. I got the orig pair for like $45.