Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where would YOU go for a week if flying out on March 4th?

I want to get my week of skiing in before spring comes in and destroys the winter. I have put it off waiting for the ideal week with a forecast of nearly constant snow but I am realizing that weather people can't tell you anything with any degree of certainty beyond 3 days out...and maybe I have been looking and asking for too much.

Having said that, where would you guys go if you had a week to ski starting Sunday March 5th (flying out tomorrow)?

Looks like airfare to Seattle is reasonable. Perhaps if I flew there I could choose between Crysyal, Steven's Pass, Whistler or Bachelor depending on what's gonna hit where and when?

Where would you guys spend a week starting tomorrow?

Thanks.
    Last edited by ma4149; 03-03-2017 at 09:33 AM.

Vermont of course. PM Greg from Alpinezone. Ditch the overhyped west.

Also if anybody is interested in skiing with an intermediate in any of these places that would be cool...I'm flying out alone. Not thrilled about that but that's the way it is.

Check where Benny is going on vacation?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I am willing to ski with any decent person willing to ski with me.

What sort of conditions are you interested in?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    What sort of conditions are you interested in?
    Virtually unlimited intermediate terrain and continuous refills of light snow.

Quote Originally Posted by ma4149 View Post
    So heaven? That's all you needed to say, heaven.

If you find this jewel please let us know

Snowmass has some unreal intermediate terrain and lots of snow.

Park $hitty
    Vail
    Snowmass
    Steamboat
    Breckenridge

The "continuous refills of light snow" is gonna be a crapshoot, but I'd recommend Utah for the best chance of them.

Agree with the general crapshoot but I am trying to be more scientific than that to increase my chances...like being a brilliant mathematician and counting cards in the background at a blackjack table or whatever!

Looks like the Cascades, Sierra and Idaho are supposed to get the goods the first few days .. then calm...then maybe it picks back up again in Cascades and perhaps the Tetons and Wasatch Sunday Monday...then what happens after Wednesday is anybody guess I reckon.

So do I go to Bachelor or Crystal or Stevens Pass, which may peter out about Monday?

Go to Targhee and maybe only get a mini storm Sunday Mondayish and then possibly not the rest of the week?

Do I act like a crazed lunatic and start at Bachelor then drive 11 hours to Targhee, having that 11 hours to do in reverse again to fly back out of Bend Oregon?

Same for Schweitzer > Targhee...8 or 9 hours from / to Spokane.

Makes a guy wish one spot was getting nuked the whole werk.

Stevens Pass, which may peter out about Monday?
    Stevens is expecting 9 inches on Monday after 6 on Sunday and then another 13 Tuesday, 4 on Wednesday.

What the fuck are you talking about "petering out about Monday"

Edit: Jong.

Perhaps you are right...Where do you get your numbers from? Then there's this

"Extended Forecast

By the middle of next week (Tuesday-Fri) there will be more unsettled weather and new snow, but the snow level will rise to 4,500ft, with a rain snow mix on the lower slopes for a time.

Open Snow NW – Larry Schick, Meteorologist"

What elevation does Steven's Pass sit at (base / peak)?

Pardon me for wanting to be sure and having a little case of "I want my cake and I want to eat it too".

So I take it you'd fly to Washington for the week?

Could have just said so dickhead.

So I take it you'd fly to Washington for the week?
    I'm already in Washington. If I was going to fly I'd probably go somewhere else.

Numbers are from NOAA/NWS who also say

"LONG TERM...From the previous long term discussion: Upper level
    flow becomes more westerly by midday Tuesday which will help the
    warming trend but will also continue the moisture conveyor belt
    and continued shortwaves will keep pops going into Thursday. To
    offer just the slightest bit of optimism...it does look like
    afternoon high temperatures Wed and Thu will start to creep up to
    near normal as many locations will get close to 50 degrees.
    Sure...could elaborate further on how that ends up being short
    lived due to another upper level trough for the end of next week"

Agree with the general crapshoot but I am trying to be more scientific than that to increase my chances...like being a brilliant mathematician and counting cards in the background at a blackjack table or whatever!

Looks like the Cascades, Sierra and Idaho are supposed to get the goods the first few days .. then calm...then maybe it picks back up again in Cascades and perhaps the Tetons and Wasatch Sunday Monday...then what happens after Wednesday is anybody guess I reckon.

So do I go to Bachelor or Crystal or Stevens Pass, which may peter out about Monday?

Go to Targhee and maybe only get a mini storm Sunday Mondayish and then possibly not the rest of the week?

Do I act like a crazed lunatic and start at Bachelor then drive 11 hours to Targhee, having that 11 hours to do in reverse again to fly back out of Bend Oregon?

Same for Schweitzer > Targhee...8 or 9 hours from / to Spokane.

Makes a guy wish one spot was getting nuked the whole werk.
    Man, what a dip shit you are.

Good troll though.

Right now I am leaning towards Idaho...Sun Valley Sunday Monday with a rest / drive day to where it looks like it will be going off next...

???

Right now I am leaning towards Idaho...Sun Valley Sunday Monday with a rest / drive day to where it looks like it will be going off next...

???
    There you go. Sun Valley, drive East and hit Whitefish then keep going East.

Any polite and grown up men with a set of rocks in here want to come forward with advice and information?

I'm super close to buying a plane ticket for tomorrow.

I'm kind of torn between flying into Bend and Mount Bachelor

OR

flying into Idaho Falls and doing Sun Valley / Targhee...and maybe even driving down to Powder Mountain if things are happening there and not in Idaho into the week.

Give me your grown up 2 cents please.

PM me if you prefer.

Although a man would come forward here, despite looking uncool to the peanut gallery.

You're an intermediate. What does it matter "super close to buying a plane ticket"? Look at some of the resorts that have been recommended for you, pick one with a decent base (over 6' is good), book. Pretty fucking simple. Coming across as an ass hole is really not going to get you many ski partners here. What you really should do is go to Jackson Hole and meet some maggots. But wait, you're looking for that special resort that is specifically catered to intermediates where it snows every night to allow you beautiful sunny soft groomers every day. Sweet.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Actually dickface I'm looking for powder not groomers, although powder over groomers would not be terrible, and yeah, I'm only an intermediate, so what?

I actually get two free days at Jackson if I end up in Idaho / Wyoming...

but going to Bend might be cooler for a solo traveler.

I'm on the fence, looking for a few decent people here to sway me.

And I come across as an asshole? Go see Best Picture for 2016...bullies eventually get chairs broken across their backs. I'd say my pushback is pretty mild.

Hey!!!! It's M Jong back from a nap.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Yeah well M Jong is on his way to Idaho Falls tomorrow so he's pretty fucking happy.

Post a picture holding a fresh Idaho paper at the airport when you land. Show us you're not a troll [though fairly amusing].
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Probably the smartest thing to do would be to fly into Mammoth with touring gear and a partner. 12" on Sunday, then clear sunny days.... eastern sierras are as good as it gets right now.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Virtually unlimited *intermediate terrain* and continuous refills of *light snow*.
    Sorry if this has been covered already, but you may find this place an awkward fit.
    At least for a bit.
    Honestly, EpicSki or AlpineZone might be a better fit. For now.

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...