Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

157mm, Super Boost!

Musings? Thoughts? Will this supplant Boost as the defacto rear hub standard? Existing 157mm hubs are compatible. 150mm hubs can be converted to 157. Good chainline. Strong wheels. Seems like a better option to me. My biggest concern is that, with a 73mm BB shell, I might be banging my heels and ankles on the chainstays.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

This "breakthrough" in technology is what should have been used instead of Boost. Since, it, like, kind of already existed.
    The hype to go with 148 was akin to the 7 Minute Abs vs 6 Minute Abs debate.
    However many are in a shit ton.

157mm, Super Boost!

I currently have 3 bikes, all have different front and rear spacing. So it's getting a bit silly at this point.

157 is the right place for things to end up. I can say that one of the forum favorite brands will be almost entirely 157 going forward. 148 is silly except maybe for hardtails.

Yay new "standards"!

9x100 front forever
    10x135 rear mtb forever
    10x130 (road rear)
    20mm forks
    15QR forks
    150mm (whatever DH rear axles used to be)
    12x142 rear
    15x110 (whatever boost fork is)
    148 (whatever boost rear is)
    ....and now, 157 apparently.

Did I miss anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I think the new 157 is at least backwards compatable with the old, but I'm guessing not often used, 157. So there's that.
    El Chup: 9mm Thru, ftw!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    This "breakthrough" in technology is what should have been used instead of Boost. Since, it, like, kind of already existed.
    Yup. And is exactly what ever downhiller was yelling at the idiots in the bike industry 5 years ago. So now we get to pay for further retooling to every bike company ordering frames.

There's not a single thing any of that boost bullshit accomplishes that wasn't already done with 150/157mm rear dh hubs.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Yup. And is exactly what ever downhiller was yelling at the idiots in the bike industry 5 years ago. So now we get to pay for further retooling to every bike company ordering frames.

There's not a single thing any of that boost bullshit accomplishes that wasn't already done with 150/157mm rear dh hubs.
    Presumably, the same reason we got 15 mm front hubs--XC dorks refusing to consider running anything that came from DH.

Yes, backwards compatible. My 150mm wheels could be useful again! (DH bike is long gone )

Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Presumably, the same reason we got 15 mm front hubs--XC dorks refusing to consider running anything that came from DH.
    I know that whole spandex scene is alive and well on the Wasatch and CO front ranges but seriously.......that mess needs to fuck off when it comes to directing anything in the realm of real bike development. That's about the only benefit of this enduro marketing push is that it's at least one more faction showing that mountain biking isn't just about the most pinner stuff possible to go uphill fast.

But yeah I'm sure you're right. Too many people who never had a foot in dh coming up with this stuff.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

It's absolutely how we got 15 mm. The industry started pushing thru-axe forks for obvious reasons, but idiots said "Sure, thru-axle is clearly safer and structurally superior, but DH forks use 20 mm axles! I'm not putting that shit on my svelte race machine that I spent an extra $1000 to shave 100 grams off of!" So, manufacturers developed a different axle standard that didn't actually weigh any less, but 15<20 so the spandex dorks ate it up. My guess is that for rear hubs they've decided to just skip straight to Step C.

I used to ride with one of the engineers who designed the 15mm interface for the fox forks (where it started). He couldn't even look himself in the mirror for a while. As it should be.

Liar!

They get to sell/fob more stuff onto the market.

Granted, that stretches "accomplishment" a bit.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

I forgot the most important part!

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    157 is the right place for things to end up. I can say that one of the forum favorite brands will be almost entirely 157 going forward. 148 is silly except maybe for hardtails.
    Are you saying this is the reason for the delayed product release? You know, the one we've been talking about for some time now.
    However many are in a shit ton.

^^^

^^^

for those of us on the very brink of buying a carbon framed "enduro" bike ... any hints on when these knew bikes are being revealed?

Nope sorry. What size are you looking for? If small I might have a smokin' deal for you.

I ride a small

pm incoming

Nope sorry. What size are you looking for? If small I might have a smokin' deal for you.
    I ride an XL. Thanks for the offer though. Will the new bikes you're hinting at be super boosted across the line up or limited to the aluminum models? If you can't talk about it just let me know and I'll stop being 'that guy'

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    I ride an XL. Thanks for the offer though. Will the new bikes you're hinting at be super boosted across the line up or limited to the aluminum models? If you can't talk about it just let me know and I'll stop being 'that guy'
    When I know the answer I'll figure out a way to let y'all know. Best guess is early next year.

That is very helpful thanks!

I used to ride with one of the engineers who designed the 15mm interface for the fox forks (where it started). He couldn't even look himself in the mirror for a while. As it should be.
    I just bought a set of Crossmax SXs off of ebay thinking I could just buy the little end cap adapters to switch them from 20mm to 15mm. Then I realized I was a moron and that I had to buy an full axle conversion to make them 15mm. I suddenly got really angry and had delirious thoughts of just saying fuck it and mounting my old coil sprung 888 on my 5Spot. Then I came to my senses and just bought the axle conversion while muttering hateful thoughts under my breath. And then I discovered that the fuckwad who sold me said wheels had drilled out the stock valve stem holes. WHYGODDAMNIT?!?! The Mavic valve stems work great. Why would you ruin those rims like this. Thankfully, I found out Stans sells tubeless schrader valves which seem to be working so far. Now I just have to hope I don't blow up these wheels because some jackass compromised their strength by drilling like a neanderthal. And yes, all of this made me angry again and I need a beer now.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Where ya been Arty? Nice to see you back