Check Out Our Shop

Tralee or Limrick Ireland?

doing 10 day trip in august with family...fly into Dublin, 1 night there....then 4 nights in Galway, and need 3 nights in either Tralee or Limrick we narrowed it down to. Like a town with things to do...especially with a 9 year old in tow - we figure bike rentals/skateparks/hiking when we could; aside from the touristy stops. Then back to Dublin for last night. Towns will be our hubs for day trips to check out any and everything within an hour. Dingle is a day stop in there as well. One of those towns more attractive than the other to hang 3 nights?

There once was a girl from Tralee...
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Damnit. Beat me to it.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    ...wait, that's the start of a Limerick. Now I'm confused.

There once was a girl from Tralee
    Who lifted her skirt at least twice daily...

With her ass bare
    And thrust in the air...

The lads from the village
    Did nail she

4 nights might be a little long in Galway (despite the fact that it's the iceman ancestral home), it's not a big place, consider shaving a night off there and going to Limerick for a day or so and seeing the old city and then head towards Tralee.

Myself from Galway I'd go the other way, north to Connemara and on to Sligo and maybe Donegal, but that's me. If you do go north, Clifden is a cool little town in Connemara and just outside of town you can catch a ferry to Inisboffin, which is a great little island just 6 or so miles offshore. You can make that a day trip or stay there, we stayed, rented bikes, went to "the last bar before America" that night and had a blast.

Tralee or Limrick Ireland?

Limrick is kind of industrial...not that great. Go to Tralee, or better yet, stay in Castlemaine, just over the mountain at Tom and Eileen's farm. Thank me later. Jaunt over to Tralee and continue over to Dingle. Do not skip Dingle and Sleigh Head

I was in Ireland for two weeks last May. I am ready to pack my bags and move to County Kerry. Everything about that part of the world and Ireland is great. I woke every morning to a never-ending supply of bacon and brown bread. Caught native brown trout in tiny rivers. Ate ridicuosly fresh seafood. Loved life.
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Binky View Post
    Limrick is kind of industrial...not that great.
    Truth. It's called knacker-town for a reason. It'd be like visiting the US and going to Cleveland.
    Not worth 4 days by itself, and it's a bit of a drive, but Westport in Mayo is awesome. Maybe split 4 days between there and Galway.

I know it's not one of the towns/areas you asked about, but as the entire island isn't that big, i have to give a shout-out to Portrush, County Antrim, in the North. So much to explore near there and the town is awesome...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

fwiw we settled on Dublin, Galway, Lahinch, Tralee, then back to Dublin for flight home.

That's gonna work. I was in Lahinch for about a half hour, it seemed nice, but the Cliffs of Moher are spectacular as advertised. Unfortunately a half hour is about the max you need to agree that the place is spectacular. Maybe there's some hikes? I'd look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    That's gonna work. I was in Lahinch for about a half hour, it seemed nice, but the Cliffs of Moher are spectacular as advertised. Unfortunately a half hour is about the max you need to agree that the place is spectacular. Maybe there's some hikes? I'd look into that.
    There are plenty of hikes along the cliff, just look for this sign and proceed beyond the gate:

Like I said, if you are in Tralee, head slightly southwest. There are these wonderful sights:

"You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb

Dingle will be a day trip or 2 stop as well.

4 nights might be a little long in Galway (despite the fact that it's the iceman ancestral home), it's not a big place, consider shaving a night off there and going to Limerick for a day or so and seeing the old city and then head towards Tralee.

Myself from Galway I'd go the other way, north to Connemara and on to Sligo and maybe Donegal, but that's me. If you do go north, Clifden is a cool little town in Connemara and just outside of town you can catch a ferry to Inisboffin, which is a great little island just 6 or so miles offshore. You can make that a day trip or stay there, we stayed, rented bikes, went to "the last bar before America" that night and had a blast.

I was gonna ask the collective if there was a better island to go to than Inishmore. I booked two nights there and I'm now wondering if there's a quieter option. Then I read this about Inisboffin - which is better? Or is there a better option than these two?

Ice, my family is from Kiltrone and Cloongowla north of you a bit. There's only a handful of farms in that area so I think it would be easy to find someone who knows my family., How friendly are the locals, usually, if i mosey up to someone working out there and ask some tedious family history questions?

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post

I was gonna ask the collective if there was a better island to go to than Inishmore. I booked two nights there and I'm now wondering if there's a quieter option. Then I read this about Inisboffin - which is better? Or is there a better option than these two?

Ice, my family is from Kiltrone and Cloongowla north of you a bit. There's only a handful of farms in that area so I think it would be easy to find someone who knows my family., How friendly are the locals, usually, if i mosey up to someone working out there and ask some tedious family history questions?

If you're settled on the galway Region, I don't think they're vastly different.

If you're travelling around I'd recommend Tory island up north in Donegal. Super remote and you can have a pint in Europe's northwestern most pub with a fantastic view.
    The cliffs are super cool too.
    Only in summer though. In winter storms can leave you stranded there for days.

Cliffs are lower right corner of our trip pics from last year.
    Edit: and the surf up there aint bad either..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240610_165620.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	494822
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

That looks sweet, SP. We are travelling around but just in the southern half of the isle this trip.

For a day trip ( im not sure on overnight stays?) The blasket isles are super cool. You see them from sleigh head in dingle. ( also highly recommend albeit a bit touristy ). Driving up to coumeenoulee beach on the coast road with the rv was pretty awesome ( and nerve wracking...) take the Western/ southern Route on the coast there and drive back via wine Strand. So you are on the left side towards the ocean when you drive there.

Edit: you can stay there.
    https://www.greatblasketisland.net/accommodation/

It's as remote as you can get.
    Quote:
    "The Great Blasket Island Accommodation has no electricity, Wi-Fi, TV or electronic devices.. Guests can experience camp fires, sunsets, nature and history in one of the most spectacular locations"

The whole area was used in the terrible star wars sequels for a reason. Amazing landscape.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

If his ear was a cunt he would fuck it
    I’ve just decided to be a middle aged somewhat depressed somewhat anxious fucktard until the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    If his ear was a cunt he would fuck it
    PM Rontele

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    For a day trip ( im not sure on overnight stays?) The blasket isles are super cool. You see them from sleigh head in dingle. ( also highly recommend albeit a bit touristy ). Driving up to coumeenoulee beach on the coast road with the rv was pretty awesome ( and nerve wracking...) take the Western/ southern Route on the coast there and drive back via wine Strand. So you are on the left side towards the ocean when you drive there.

Edit: you can stay there.
    https://www.greatblasketisland.net/accommodation/

It's as remote as you can get.
    Quote:
    "The Great Blasket Island Accommodation has no electricity, Wi-Fi, TV or electronic devices.. Guests can experience camp fires, sunsets, nature and history in one of the most spectacular locations"

The whole area was used in the terrible star wars sequels for a reason. Amazing landscape.
    We are going there for a day trip - I thought I read no one lives there so I presumed as a result no one runs a place to stay there.

We are leaving Tuesday for 2 weeks- no time to change plans now, thanks though. Also thinking of some cliff cruises, dolphin watching, etc. from Dingle.