Thread: Rugged phones

Rugged phones

Looking to replace my broken S5.
    I am thinking of a "rugged" phone, rather than an Otterbox/lifeproof, but open to options.

Battery life- replaceable battery a bonus, as I don't mind carrying a spare.
    Good GPS/compass
    Decent screen size
    Actual buttons might be nice

Must be Verizon compatible- will also be used overseas.

Anybody have something they love? Or hate?

I always buy the "active" version of the Samsung, IE S6 Active. Larger battery, and built in "case". But you do loose the ability to swap the battery and storage.... If you add an external case to the phone it is pretty indestructible.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I use a service called Ting. https://ting.com/rates and they hooked me up with a rugged military grade flip phone.

if you really want to give the cell phone companies all your money continue using the big name players, but know there are other options out there that are able to ping pong off different cell towers..

If you go this route, this link (I get commission) will save you $25. https://zderqn3lsba.ting.com/

Kyocera brigadier...I can have a tracking app like lotus free running and listen to the dead for a full day tour or 7 hours in th bc and have about 30% or more battery left.

Any more there are only a few options- old school non-smart phones that are built with the rugged cases- Casio and Kyocera and Sonim come to mind- depending on the carrier you use.

For Smart Phones- the way to go typically is a good gorilla glass phone (no Apple IPhones), a water resistant or water proof case - Samsung Active, Motorola, and then stick the full device in a good protective 3rd party case made for that phone. Or a few rugged specific, Sonim and Caterpiller all come to mind again depending on the carrier and whether you need GSM (AT&T or T-Mobile as well as international) or CDMA (Verizon or Sprint)...

Anybody have experience with CrossCall phones?
    http://crosscall.com/en/

Most of these good phones are not Verizon/CDMA, which is what I need here in rural Maine.
    I can only find the Brigadier used, and given the non-replaceable battery, don't really want to go that way.

Quote Originally Posted by hhtele View Post
    Most of these good phones are not Verizon/CDMA, which is what I need here in rural Maine.
    I can only find the Brigadier used, and given the non-replaceable battery, don't really want to go that way.
    https://www.verizonwireless.com/arch...rugged-phones/ See if you can find the Motorola Droid 2.

Whatever you do just do not get an Apple phone because they absolutely suck in the cold and their batteries are garbage cans. Honestly Samsung Galaxy s8 is supposed to be extremely strong and sick, or you could get the s7, Verizon said themselves it was one of the more rugged phone they sell. If you want an even crazier stronger smartphone go with the Brigadier by Kyocera. If you don't mind getting a flip phone get a DuraXV+ by Kyocera. but I mean you already said you don't want the Kyocera phones, so I'd say S8 or S7...

Quote Originally Posted by iamchappy View Post
    Kyocera brigadier...I can have a tracking app like lotus free running and listen to the dead for a full day tour or 7 hours in th bc and have about 30% or more battery left.
    The Brigadier has a 3100 mAh battery, i think it charges quickly, i choose to carry a charger instead of having to replace batteries. I use to replace batteries with the Casio Commander phone i had prior.

S7 in a Spigen Tough Armour case.