Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with AT Boots - CONFUSED!

I'm not usually a fussy gear guy. I like traditional skis, and traditional boots. When I started doing the dynafit thing about four years ago, I put a pair of old verticals on some Kastle FX104s, which are still going strong. I'm definitely more of a traditional, drive the front of the ski, skier. Ski on hard snow quite a bit.

For my initial tech compatible boot, I picked up some Dynafit Titans for $50, figuring I'd use them that spring, then get something new. Several years later, I'm still on the Titans...I take them full day tours, hut trips, quick laps, resort sometimes...you name it. I think I've gotten my $50 worth. Still...they were very used when I got them, and have always felt pretty soft to me, but they totally get the job done.

So, I'm thinking of finally getting a new boot, but I'm so confused...do I get something like the Scarpa Freedom RS130, or Tecnica Guide Pro 130....or thinking about the Dynafit Carbon Beast...or do I with something a little lighter/uphill focused? It's that very basic tradeoff concept - uphill vs. downhill performance. I've aways been pretty quick on the up, even with the Titans...so am I wise just to stick with that weight class of boot? Whenever I read reviews about little light AT boots, I'm skeptical to believe those things would really suit my style of skiing. I feel like there are tons of guys out there doing big days and trips on boots that many would consider too heavy...so, where does this leave me?! Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Lots of new boots ski better than the Titans and are lighter and have a better ROM.

Buy what fits your foot.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Thanks...yeah, it's confusing. I think I'll just keep going on my Titans. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrider83 View Post
    Thanks...yeah, it's confusing. I think I'll just keep going on my Titans. Haha.
    Just go try some boots on, it isn't like you're required to buy them. You may be surprised at what you find.

There are so many good options these days.

For charging::
    Mtn Lab
    Scarpa Freedom
    Atomic Hawk EXT
    Dynafit Vulcan
    Tecnica ZeroG
    Dynafit Beast
    Scarpa Maestrale

For uphill:
    Mtn Explore
    Dynafit Vulcan (Again)
    Dynafit TLT series
    Atomic Backland
    Scarpa F1

and so many others I am forgetting.

Dynafit

Get the red ones.. that fit your feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I think it's pretty well established that the following boots are excellent for your intended purpose, and they likely all ski and walk better than your Titans:

Mtn Lab
    Vulcan
    Beast
    Zero G GP (though there has been rumors/talk of walk-mode issues)
    Cochise 130
    XT 130 Freetour
    Lupo Carbon TI
    Hawx 130 XTD (available next season)
    Maestrale RS2 (available next season)

The Hawx 130 has the potential to be a step up from the current boots regarding stiffness/skiability-to-weight/walkability ratio based on the specs and initial reports, but it's not available until next season.

Fit trumps all. Try them on, and pick whatever fits best. Don't obsess about the tech or which one is better. If you've been happy with the Titan, they'll all be great.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 02-28-2017 at 08:55 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

where does this leave me?! Am I missing something? Thanks!
    yeah its called "new technology" cuz there is a generational leap in weight/ ROM for tourability/ comfort between your boots and what is available out there now

I had some 4 buckle garmont AT boots I bought 10 yrs ago, when I got the mercury and then the vulcan I found they were a big leap perfomance in lighter weight, more comfort more ROM more power for the down

Now you gotta decide if its about the up or the down for you

sure your old boots are OK

hell yer wife is ok

but wouldnt ya rather have the super model?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I'm not usually a fussy gear guy. I like traditional skis, and traditional boots. When I started doing the dynafit thing about four years ago, I put a pair of old verticals on some Kastle FX104s, which are still going strong. I'm definitely more of a traditional, drive the front of the ski, skier. Ski on hard snow quite a bit.

For my initial tech compatible boot, I picked up some Dynafit Titans for $50, figuring I'd use them that spring, then get something new. Several years later, I'm still on the Titans...I take them full day tours, hut trips, quick laps, resort sometimes...you name it. I think I've gotten my $50 worth. Still...they were very used when I got them, and have always felt pretty soft to me, but they totally get the job done.

So, I'm thinking of finally getting a new boot, but I'm so confused...do I get something like the Scarpa Freedom RS130, or Tecnica Guide Pro 130....or thinking about the Dynafit Carbon Beast...or do I with something a little lighter/uphill focused? It's that very basic tradeoff concept - uphill vs. downhill performance. I've aways been pretty quick on the up, even with the Titans...so am I wise just to stick with that weight class of boot? Whenever I read reviews about little light AT boots, I'm skeptical to believe those things would really suit my style of skiing. I feel like there are tons of guys out there doing big days and trips on boots that many would consider too heavy...so, where does this leave me?! Am I missing something?

Thanks!
    FWIW I ski Kastle MX88 ( heavy dual metal laminate ski) and use Lange Super Comps at the resort, and my first touring setup was BD Custom Tele Boots with Bomber Bishops- all gear that was heavy as shit. My first AT boot was a TLT5P, and man was that the right call. I am now a full-on weight weenie and my favorite boot is the Alien 1.0- I think it's a misconception that lightweight gear inherently doesn't ski well. You definitely have to ski them differently, but if you can adapt you will be skiing so much more vert that you won't care you can't ski it like an alpine boot- and you won't be as tired for the descents. Light boots, particularly carbon fiber boots, reward an upright stance where you use more lateral motions to edge the ski as opposed to front cuff pressure.

Don't know many folks who went light and then went back to bulk boots- only the other way around.

If you're interested I have a brand new pair of Scarpa Maestrales in 27 for sale. Good compromise IMO.

Just my two cents

There's also this for all JONGs Thread is a bit moribund but its not much use without input from others - http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...-List-by-model

I just got some fresh test boots, next years Dalbello lupo 130c. Now that is how you do a ski/walk mode. In all ways, it is a much better boot than the Tecnica Zero G, Guides. That I purchased on shop form. Check em out if you want a stiff-ass race boot. That doesn't weigh shit and walks nice.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by dark_star View Post
    My first AT boot was a TLT5P, and man was that the right call. I am now a full-on weight weenie and my favorite boot is the Alien 1.0- I think it's a misconception that lightweight gear inherently doesn't ski well. You definitely have to ski them differently, but if you can adapt you will be skiing so much more vert that you won't care you can't ski it like an alpine boot- and you won't be as tired for the descents. Light boots, particularly carbon fiber boots, reward an upright stance where you use more lateral motions to edge the ski as opposed to front cuff pressure.

Don't know many folks who went light and then went back to bulk boots- only the other way around.
    I tried the TLT5P as my second touring boot, and hated them. Yeah, they were good on the up, but I just never had any fun on the down. And I like a pretty neutral stance. I think it was the stupid metatarsal flex, but I'm still skeptical of light boots. Thinking about trying an F1 or something again sometime soon, but man it's a big investment to just turn around and sell them.

Also: with the new Hawx 130 XTD coming in at under 1400 g (with an intuition and one of the buckles removed) and the new AlienRS coming in at a 850g and 95 flex, I think the 1000g-1200g boots are going to have to step it up to compete. A 110 flex, 1kg boot would be ideal to pair with a burlier touring boot, IMHO.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Yep, I am really liking these new boots.

Stiff and unwavering. You could power the burliest skis out there with these boots.
    crab in my shoe mouth

What do they weigh in comparison to the zero gs?

Thanks all for your replies. What I'm gathering is that everything will be an improvement over what I'm using.

In my mind, it seems that for such an important piece of gear, it doesn't make to sense to hold back...better off just getting what will be the absolute best boot for me that I buy. Since I have no intent to give up my Head Raptors for the resort...but also that I ski a fair amount of hard snow, and am definitely a shovel driver on a pair the older Kaestle FX104 (camber).....seems like something in the 1500-1700 gram department that is stiffer (i.e. the Vulcan, Beast, next year's Maestrale, Mtn Lab, or Guide Pro is the way to go). I just don't see myself liking the super light boots, based on my style of skiing.

It's interesting having moved from CO (where boot choice for me would be easier) to the Adirondacks, where the snow is often pretty crappy, and the approaches are quite long...it's a tough combo to pick a boot for. It's easy to shrug off NE backcountry as...eh, whatever...stuff is all rinky dink, but I've found it to be quite interesting from a ski/boot selection perspective...You actually see quite a few people here on scaled voiles and the like, just in part to deal with the 3-6 mile approaches to your objectives. I've been doing that stuff in my Titan, and it doesn't bother me, so I'm looking forward to something that'll be shedding 500 grams with even better downhill performance.

Sounds like the mid-weights like the Maestrale RS is the way to go for your situation. I skied mine (in CO)for 3-4 year and they were more comfortable than my old snowboard boots, especially for touring. I did feel like I was over powering them on inbounds terrain and alway felt like I was going to break them, and I did. Broke the hinges and an ankle strap. Upgraded to Freedom RS this year but mainly for inbounds skiing, haven't toured in those yet. I haven't tried any of the light weights, but just feel like durability would be my issue with them. However, if you have a lot long approaches and are just skiing BC in them, they might be worth trying out.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Sounds like the mid-weights like the Maestrale RS is the way to go for your situation. I skied mine (in CO)for 3-4 year and they were more comfortable than my old snowboard boots, especially for touring. I did feel like I was over powering them on inbounds terrain and alway felt like I was going to break them, and I did. Broke the hinges and an ankle strap. Upgraded to Freedom RS this year but mainly for inbounds skiing, haven't toured in those yet. I haven't tried any of the light weights, but just feel like durability would be my issue with them. However, if you have a lot long approaches and are just skiing BC in them, they might be worth trying out.
    Cool thanks! Yeah..maybe I'll wait until those new ones come out. AHH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by salx View Post
    What do they weigh
    2nded

Looks like an interesting, likely Vulcan replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I'll try to find a scale. These come with a traditional style liner, none of that power wrap bullshit. Pretty well thought out boot.
    crab in my shoe mouth

So Adrider, nowhere to demo some lightweight AT set up to get an idea? One of our local shops will rent you a DPS/Dynafit whatever with a Maestrale RS.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    I'll try to find a scale. These come with a traditional style liner, none of that power wrap bullshit. Pretty well thought out boot.
    Are they stil $1000?

Huh? They better not be. That's insane
    crab in my shoe mouth

Huh? They better not be. That's insane
    The Lupo Ti Carbon was $1000 this year, and still weighed in on the SHW class of boots.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    The Lupo Ti Carbon was $1000 this year, and still weighed in on the SHW class of boots.
    Dynafit had a $999 boot in what.........2013? Since the Cochise changed everything in 2010/2011...boots these days are so fucking good, we should be happy to pay $1000 for that shit!

I just got some fresh test boots, next years Dalbello lupo 130c. Now that is how you do a ski/walk mode. In all ways, it is a much better boot than the Tecnica Zero G, Guides. That I purchased on shop form. Check em out if you want a stiff-ass race boot. That doesn't weigh shit and walks nice.
    I used to use the old Lupo TI, and they ski really well downhill - but the mechanism they use for switching to and from walk-mode is crap - when its cold its almost impossible to switch back from walk-mode to ski mode. The mechanism for the Carbon TI looks and feel pretty much the same as the old, crappy, mechanism. That and the hassle with the removable tounge ruled them out for me. I also used Dynafit Mercury with the removable tounge, but they didnt ski very well downhill for me (and the tounge is a hassle).

I bought the Zero G Guide Pro and Im super happy. Uphill, and downhill. But I do only 3-6 hour tours. That being said, if you find a boot thats listed here and feels good - buy it.