Garmont Literider/Masterlite broken ski/walk mechanism - solution

So both of my walk/ski mechanisms have failed on my Garmont Literider boots. This same mechanism is used on the Masterlite boots. The failure is caused by really poor design and inadequate material strength.

Being that Garmont doesn't make ski boots anymore, I was basically out of luck in terms of product support. These are nice boots, and it would be ridiculous to have to scrap them just because I can't get these small metal brackets anymore.

I've gone ahead and redesigned the bracket in CAD using a stronger alloy, produced some 3D printed prototypes, and I've gotten quotes to have these things machined (CNC). Obviously, being a custom part, the cost to have only two of these little brackets machined isn't cheap. Most of the cost goes toward set up of the CNC mill. However, I was thinking that if enough of us are interested in producing this part, we can bring the cost down.

So, is anyone interested in getting some of these brackets made? All the hard design work is done, now I just need some people to commit to purchasing some of these to bring the cost down and make this feasible.

As much as I sincerely admire your design skills, resourcefulness, and initiative ... you're much better off getting a modern touring-oriented boot, e.g., any of these:
    http://skimo.co/compare-touring-boots
    ... will ski better, weigh the same or less, and have greater rearward cuff articulation.

Those Garmont boots were pretty bad for their day, and their day was a long time ago, so not worth investing any time, money, or effort to keep them going.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    Those Garmont boots were pretty bad for their day, and their day was a long time ago, so not worth investing any time, money, or effort to keep them going.
    This. Gets some newer, better boots. There are plenty of cheap, used boots that will blow your mind if you're used to those Garmonts.

Speaking of which- worst....deal....ever: https://www.amazon.com/Garmont-11110.../dp/B003VUE0LQ

Huh. Well being that I haven't used any other touring boots, I guess I just didn't realize how much these apparently suck. I am only an intermediate skier so not very picky.

I ended up sending the design to China to have a couple parts CNCd for $90 shipped. Considering I only paid $60 for the boots in the first place, I'm not too bothered by spending a bit extra to at least be able to sell them. It was a fun project in any case.

I'll keep my eyes opened for a new pair of boots now though.

Garmont Literider walk mode CAD file.

kmaxphoto, I just had the same problem with my brand new Literiders. I actually like the boots when the walk mode isn't broken so if you would be willing, I would really appreciate if you sent me the CAD file so that I can have some new ones CNCed. I have access to a CNC here. DM me please.

Save my boots too!

Hey Guys, could you send me the DWG file as well? I just broke the exact same support off my Masterlite's and don't have the cash to get new Skimo boots. I may be able to sweet talk the engineering shop at my school to machine a couple for me though...

Thanks so much for designing the DWG again. Did you increase the steel thickness around the upper bolt hole? Another 10 g of metal would have made a world of difference. Garmont deserved to be defunct for design flaws like that and a complete lack of customer support.

Quote Originally Posted by tourman View Post
    kmaxphoto, I just had the same problem with my brand new Literiders. I actually like the boots when the walk mode isn't broken so if you would be willing, I would really appreciate if you sent me the CAD file so that I can have some new ones CNCed. I have access to a CNC here. DM me please.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyM View Post
    . Garmont deserved to be defunct for design flaws like that and a complete lack of customer support.
    Garmont did not go defunct they are still selling outdoor footwear, what Garmont did do is sell the ski boot end of things to Scott 3-4 years ago and they don't make that boot, so how can you expect either of them to support a ski boot that probably came over on the mayflower? It just floors me that someone would buy this boot "brand new" I am sorry but someone has to point out all of the suckage here
    Last edited by XXX-er; 04-11-2017 at 09:30 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I'm sure if you sold the boots to a hardboot splitboarder, they wouldn't mind the broken walk mode.

Of course now that I've had the part made, everyone with this problem is coming out of the woodwork huh?

For all those interested in the design, send me a private message with your email address and I can send you the file.

I've only done one long (10 hour) resort day on these new parts, but no sign of bending. They are made of 316 stainless steel. The new design does away with the sharp transition and side taper at that upper hole, adds material and lengthens the front taper, and reduces the size of the counterbore slightly to maximize material on either side. The upper hole's counterbore is also slighly reduced to add more material, which means the original screws don't screw in quite as far into the threaded inserts as before, but still plenty enough to be secure.

Time will tell if these designs hold up. These boots really aren't as bad as people make them out to be. Would I buy them brand new over more recent boots? No. Are they more than adequate for what I do? Hell yes. For $60 (and now an extra $90 to have these parts made), I'm more than happy.

Some photos of the iterations. From left to right: Original, 3D printed design 1, 3D printed design 2, Final part.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170309_164930_HDR.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	942.0 KB 
ID:	204288

Fair. I also got these boots used and while I feel like i got suckerpunched after the lock mechanisms broke on trip 3, had that not happened the $200 I paid would have been well worth it for some longer skimo action and to hold me over until I can buy much newer boots and skis. Suckage pointed though =).

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Garmont did not go defunct they are still selling outdoor footwear, what Garmont did do is sell the ski boot end of things to Scott 3-4 years ago and they don't make that boot, so how can you expect either of them to support a ski boot that probably came over on the mayflower? It just floors me that someone would buy this boot "brand new" I am sorry but someone has to point out all of the suckage here