Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Repairing ripped gear?

So my ski pants acquired a fairly substantial amount of additional ventilation recently. They are Patagonia so maybe they can get a factory repair. That said, you experience is that they'll just throw them in the garbage and give me a slight credit. Gorilla Tape seems like is works great on puffy type fabrics but not so much on the waterproof/breathable type stuff. What do you do?

Dental floss and shoe goo?

Some of the various brands of repair tape?

Not looking to make them brand new again but it would be nice to make them into a serviceable backup pair and make them usable for the rest of the season.

How much is substantial? An inch or two, similar color fabric repair tape. If you follow directions the fix will last more than a season. More damaged than that it'll need more work. shoe goo + floss or gorilla tape aren't worth the effort.

Tuck Tape for red
    Duct Tape for silver
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Brand recco on repair tape. I'll have to look but probably 3 or 4 tears 2-4". On the bright side, I still have both nuts.

Sew some scrap cordura to cover the hole. Seal with aquaseal.

Patagonia recently did an excellent repair job on my puffy. My only cost was shipping to them.

I fix a lot of dry suits with aqua seal on 3 layer gortex or anything I can get at the back of, I use masking tape tape the edges of the rip togetehr on the outside

I spread AQS on the inside put a patch of thin material (I like old dryer anti static sheets) in the aqs, cover it all with saran wrap and roll it out flat with a bottle

remove the tape after 8 hrs, if you did a good job of taping you might not notice a rip in dark fabric

aqs can also work well on a bigger hole in a puffy and it will look > tape OR for them little holes where the featehrs leak out use a dab of liquid bandage or clear nail polish to seal the hole
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Patagonia will most definitely repair them. Visit your local store if you have one.

For gear without pata's awesome repair policy, I just go to the local seamstress for a patch then aquaseal it.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    How much is substantial? An inch or two, similar color fabric repair tape. If you follow directions the fix will last more than a season. More damaged than that it'll need more work. shoe goo + floss or gorilla tape aren't worth the effort.
    I don't agree. 3-4 seasons ago I put a substantial tear on the leg of my pants - 13" long with a little zig zag at the end. I'll update with pics later.

I lined up the fabric edges, put duct tape on outside, turned them inside out, and carefully applied a very thin bead of aquaseal with a match stick.

24 hours later, I pulled the duct tape and applied a second really thin bead of aquaseal on the outside (in hindsight, I'm not sure that this step is necessary). The repair has been bomber - it looks as good as the day I did it.

Last summer I put a much smaller tear (probably only about 10") in the same pants right above my boot cuff while scrambling on some rock. It ripped from the right side of my calf around the front to my left. I followed the same procedure as above, but only on the inside this time and you can't barely tell it's been repaired unless you look for it.

Aquaseal is your friend. It's cheap, takes about 15 minutes, doesn't cost you shipping and downtime, and will probably last as long as the pants.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Seth

Gear aid patch kits worked great. I have 10 year old Patagonia pants and these are awesome.

https://www.gearaid.com/products/repair-patches

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    I

24 hours later, I pulled the duct tape and applied a second really small bead of aquaseal on the outside (I'm not sure that this is actually necessary). The pants have been unbelieveably bomber - the rip has not grown at all.

Last summer I put a much smaller tear (probably only about 10") right above my boot cuff while scrambling on some rock. It ripped from the right side of my calf around the front to my left. I followed the same procedure as above, but only on the inside this time and you can't even tell it's there.

Aquaseal is your friend. It's cheap,

Seth
    I never put AQS on the outside of a garment, I do use it on bike & ski gloves , just before you wear the hole in your glove slop a little AQS on there and cover with saran wrap

the saran lets you move the product around and you don't end up with a messy job or aqs on everything

I fix dry suits all the time for the bros (a case of good beer eh) , its water proof and I havent had any come back

put the tube in a sealed glass jar in the freezer and it won't dry out, next time you need to glue on a velcro patch or fix a hole just put it in a cup of boiling water for 15min

Gearaid patches

I ski OG Patagonia Primo pants (Gore XCR version). Have gottensubstantial tears twice--once to the cordura patch and internal gaiter from an edge, and once to one of the knees (hit a hidden rock while traversing, thankfully wearing knee pads). I just hit them with some well-laid duct tape for the rest of the season, and then Patagonia repaired beautifully when I sent them in in June. I paid shipping one-way. Great service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Another Gearaid recommendation. Or black duct tape. Don't waste time sewing yourself. If you suck as bad as I do at it, just take them to a seamstress.

Forget repairing it, just buy new Arcteryx so that you fit in with all the latte-sipping Subaru-driving Front Rangers.

I've had mixed luck with Gearaid patches. Small rips they've worked fine for me, but on a 4" rip I'm not so sure.

I can help you. I can send you OEM seam tape to apply yourself...this is special stuff that I do not really make available to
    anyone outside our customers...but i see the pain for finding the right products to fix things based on response to this thread. Or, if you like duct tape (which I do) you can go that route or the fix kits. My process is done internally. I can give you the tools you need to make a professional repair with a fairly good aesthetic outcome.

1. is the tear accessible from inside garment or hidden by a liner?
    2. is the fabric hardshell with tricot interior or soft-shell with a fleece interior, or something else (e.g. 2 layer membrane exposed covered by interior lining)
    3. has there been a delam in the area of the rip where the interior is separating from face (if this is a laminated fabric)
    4. do you have a home type iron

Or, if you pay shipping both ways I will fix it for you myself for no charge
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Forget repairing it, just buy new Fulsus so that you fit in with all the beer-sipping Subaru-driving Summit County Dirtbags.
    FIFY except Fulsus isn't making bibs yet.... cough cough MiCol!!!

How fucking cool is MiCol and his company?

Very.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Forget repairing it, just buy new Arcteryx so that you fit in with all the latte-sipping Subaru-driving Front Rangers.

I've had mixed luck with Gearaid patches. Small rips they've worked fine for me, but on a 4" rip I'm not so sure.
    rips and holes are a good place to use crests, tagging a tree while tree skiing will put holes in your sleeves at the perfact spot to glue a patch so I fixed a 5" rip in the shoulder of an arcterxy shell by gluing a canadian flag over the rip in one shoulder and a jack rabbit patch over the hole in the other shoulder, the hole was completely covered which was a sucess but I was chastised for not actualy earning the jack rabbit patch

Thats pretty cool of micol to give out goretx tape but insted of gortex patches and tape I just use the AQS cuz I look at how many sq inches of breathable membrane is there in a jacket or pant or drysuit, and % wise how how much breathability am i losing by covering a rip with AQS ... not much

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    I can help you. I can send you OEM seam tape to apply yourself...this is special stuff that I do not really make available to
    anyone outside our customers...but i see the pain for finding the right products to fix things based on response to this thread. Or, if you like duct tape (which I do) you can go that route or the fix kits. My process is done internally. I can give you the tools you need to make a professional repair with a fairly good aesthetic outcome.

1. is the tear accessible from inside garment or hidden by a liner?
    2. is the fabric hardshell with tricot interior or soft-shell with a fleece interior, or something else (e.g. 2 layer membrane exposed covered by interior lining)
    3. has there been a delam in the area of the rip where the interior is separating from face (if this is a laminated fabric)
    4. do you have a home type iron

FKNA! Solid mag helping solid mag.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I'd go with Tenacious Tape from McNett before going with duct tape. Sounds like you have some options from a fellow mag that is going to hook you up with maybe even a better option.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    How fucking cool is MiCol and his company?

Very.
    'xactly. Good dude he is.

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    I can help you. I can send you OEM seam tape to apply yourself... I can give you the tools you need to make a professional repair with a fairly good aesthetic outcome.

Mike and CFS continue to deliver.

MiCol rocks

Otherwise try Mcnetts Iron Mend

Put a 6" rip in a pair of Flylow Chemical hardshell pants (put a pole tip through them in a crash, somehow missed punching it into my thigh as well). I had 2" Gorilla Tape around so I matched up the edges and ran a strip on the inside and outside of the tear. Looks a little ghetto but I'm still using them like that 2 years later. Outside tape is starting to peel a little bit though, need to replace it or get someone to do a proper repair.