Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Travel insurance for backcountry Japan skiing

Being insured for inbounds skiing is different than touring, and we'll be touring the whole time so who knows of someone who will cover that for two Yanks skiing in Japan? Always been easy to figure out in Canada, but I haven't found jack shit online for Japan.
    Last edited by Andyski; 02-27-2017 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    What are you insuring, pow?
    Insuring that if you get strained through trees into a terrain trap and powder your femur that you don't end up in bankruptcy court.

We just went with BCAA for our trip... but you know... Canada. Good luck with american insurance providers.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

We always get the travel insurance from a travel agent and skiing in Japan was no different eh?

they really nailed my buddy on premiums due to pre-existing heart issues
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Thread title says Travel insurance but then you mentioned breaking your leg insurance.

What insurance are you seeking?

Travel
    Health
    Life

My boy Ned Ryerson could probably hook you up.

I think you want insurance to cover any health issues over there,

listening you amelicans talk about HC is like another language

The ifrst time I heard it I had to ask someone what the word "Copay" means

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Thread title says Travel insurance but then you mentioned breaking your leg insurance.

Travel
    Health
    Life

Travel insurance almost always includes emergency medical care (and transportation) of some kind, which is what I want and which differentiates it from trip insurance, which is the "I had to cancel my trip" stuff you get from Expedia or whoever.

The problem is that the standard travel insurance nearly always excludes "off-piste skiing," which is what we're doing. In the past I've gotten this type of coverage from Alpine Club of Canada or whatever CAN bank when I've gone there or lived there and came to the states. I have no fucking idea who does this kind of thing for international travel not in N. America and Google isn't providing the goods.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    Travel insurance almost always includes emergency medical care (and transportation) of some kind, which is what I want and which differentiates it from trip insurance, which is the "I had to cancel my trip" stuff you get from Expedia or whoever.

The problem is that the standard travel insurance nearly always excludes "off-piste skiing," which is what we're doing. In the past I've gotten this type of coverage from Alpine Club of Canada or whatever CAN bank when I've gone there or lived there and came to the states. I have no fucking idea who does this kind of thing for international travel not in N. America and Google isn't providing the goods.
    Do you have a life insurance policy? Sometimes those have emergency evac benefits. The Hartford does. My Premera health insurance in the states has the Blue Card PPO international coverage included, most people don't know that. Coverage ain't great but better than 100% out of pocket.

Good luck.

something like the white card in the alps is needed there it seems bc yea we went to a couple places that had signs that said they had no ski patrol/ first aid/ rescue etc

Andrew even had to assist with a skier who had a compound femur fracture (just above the knee) and there was no ski patrol to speak of. They called the japanese version of 911 which is 110 and then a heli tried to fly in - it seemed to be a pretty tight commercial set up though as it was there qithin like 15 mins of calling- I think it said "Dr. Heli" or something like that on the side.
    Anyhow the heli couldn't land so then then they drive a groomer up to the guy and they loaded him on the back and andrew sat with him while they drove down(I had skied down) but there was only the groomer driver so literally nobody else to help aside from Andrew and a couple other random bystanders. It was intense. had us wondering what that would cost too

anyhow- a thought I had was to maybe call or email one of the N American run lodges there- Black Diamond etc and just ask if they know what people do there or if they have a suggestions
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7492.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	201190

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7496.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	201191
    skid luxury

FWIW my Norcal Kaiser health insurance covers care and evacuation any place and for any reason. Don't know if that's the case with all Kaiser policies--mine is pretty broad, since I was a Kaiser doc.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    FWIW my Norcal Kaiser health insurance covers care and evacuation any place and for any reason. Don't know if that's the case with all Kaiser policies--mine is pretty broad, since I was a Kaiser doc.
    Kaiser is awesome. I wonder how much that is for us minons?
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

I'm in Japan right now. I have travel insurance with a backcountry rider. InsureMyTrip.com, M H Ross.

Have a great and safe trip!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1712.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	759.5 KB 
ID:	201239  

Search for thread titled high risk travel insurance

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...avel+insurance
    Last edited by hoarhey; 02-28-2017 at 09:25 AM. Reason: too add link
    Aggressive in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Kaiser is awesome. I wonder how much that is for us minons?
    not cheap. Kaiser used to try to distinguish itself with low rates. Not any more.

I know a guy that can hook it up. Might need to tap into Lois' rainy day fund though.Name:  1488380104023.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  28.4 KB

Went with World Nomads, which we'll hopefully never have to use.

Needle nose Ned? Ned the head?

Insuring that if you get strained through trees into a terrain trap and powder your femur that you don't end up in bankruptcy court.

If you're seeking backcountry rescue insurance (as opposed to medical care back at the hospital), then this covers pretty much whatever charges you could ever conceivably occur:
    http://aacuk.org.uk/p-alpenverein-wo...tion-insurance
    I know, seems to make zero sense for a North American skiing in Japan to rely on rescue coverage from the UK section of an Austrian club, but I've read the documents carefully, and searching around has found only positive feedback on the claims process.
    (And this is not an original idea of mine -- I first heard about it from Americans skiing in Gulmarg.)
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Travel
    Health
    Life
    In Canada our socialized health care is free, so when we TRAVEL outside of Canada we want to protect ourselves against outrageous emergency health care fees. We call this type of insurance "Travel Insurance" Its a Canadian colloquialism for "Out of country travel emergency health care insurance.

I have used travel guard by a AIG last two years for trips to Alaska. Check them out highly recommend them, great to work with.

Just back from Japan. Used https://www.alpineclubofcanada.ca/ who insure thru Tugo. Not sure how well it would have worked as fortuantely didnt need it, but there are specific mentions of backcountry skiing. Think it was 100 or for 2 weeks.

NZ resident : for bc ski travel overseas, I also use AACUK also, for Rescue costs, + use Credit card general Travel Ins;

nothing at home as we have full free health-care PLUS national Accident Compensation cover ( that will blow USA minds ... ! ) .

Best ~

Quote Originally Posted by EssjaywhyNZ View Post
    NZ resident : we have full free health-care PLUS national Accident Compensation cover ( that will blow USA minds ... ! ) .

Best ~
    whats that do for ya ?

universal HC in Canada as well eh

and in BC the Provincial Emergency Program (PEP) will pay for it emergency stuff

NZ - universal no-fault accidental injury scheme: financial compensation and support to citizens, residents, and temporary visitors who have suffered personal injuries.

does away with all the litigation & rules paranoia T&C on your ski-pass;

also NZ SaR : no charge

~ very civilised

This Is How A Medical Transport Membership Could Save Your Life - Forbes Magazine https://apple.news/AO19ydOSIQaiAicC7FIWpCQ