RMNP Backcountry Camping

Late July we're going to be in Ft Collins for a wedding, and want to get out into RMNP for a couple nights of backpacking.

For those who have spent time out in the backcountry, would you go Odessa Lake or Hunters Creek?? I want to be able to hike into a nice area for a couple nights of base camp.

For all the weeks in the West Elks and San Juans, I have never been in RMNP in the summertime. I know permits are an issue but I can take care of that. Where's the spot to kick back for my bday.....

Odessa Lake: camp in the middle of the postcard. quick access to famous views, quality alpine rock climbing, more hiking traffic.

Hunter's Creek: maybe less hiking traffic, big terrain around but you'll have to hike a couple miles to see it. proximity to south face of Long's and Meeker.
    "You're young and you got your health, what do you want with a job?"

Odessa would be my first choice. The views are incredible! The sooner you get that site reserved, the better.

If you're open to something outside Rocky with no crowds, look into Cirque Meadows. It's just outside the park in the Commanche Peaks wilderness. You could get into the park via Mummy Pass (much closer) or Stormy Peaks. One of my favorite vistas in northern Colorado. Excellent fishing a short walk uphill at Emmaline Lake too.
    Last edited by hatchgreenchile; 02-27-2017 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post

If you're open to something outside Rocky with no crowds, look into Cirque Meadows. It's just outside the park in the Commanche Peaks wilderness. You could get into the park via Mummy Pass (much closer) or Stormy Peaks. One of my favorite vistas in northern Colorado. Excellent fishing a short walk uphill at Emmaline Lake too.
    Wow. Blast from the past. Good call on this one.

Both good ideas. Ogalalla Peak area is one of my favorites too. Long approach but worth it: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=289601

Quote Originally Posted by Notchtop View Post
    Wow. Blast from the past. Good call on this one.
    So good up there! Paying for a site, bear cans and no fires can be a pain and is the main reason I haven't checked off lots of interior RMNP spots. Nice to stay nearby for free Lots of moose in the Commanche too.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CM.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	536.6 KB 
ID:	201100

Odessa never gets old though
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Odessa.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	774.9 KB 
ID:	201099
    Last edited by hatchgreenchile; 02-27-2017 at 09:03 AM.

Am I mistaken or is that my namesake on left and little Matterhorn on right? Been so long since living near rmnp. Making me think about spring skiing road trip.

Yes - both mountains are accurate. Beautiful country up there.

thanks for the tips, got 2 nights reserved up at odessa lake. sweeet!!!

I'd head up Poudre Canyon and hit the Rawah Wilderness instead.
    Maybe stop at the Mishawaka Inn for a live show.