Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Lowes or Home Depot for kitchen remodeling?

Looking at various options to re-do the kitchen. Mostly just cabinets and floor.
    What does the collective have to say about these guys?

thanks
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

Which has a better parking lot scene?
    I see hydraulic turtles.

The each have slightly different products at similar price points. So go to both and pick what you like?

But if you are in a reasonably populated area, for cabinets and flooring I feel like you can get better stuff for the same $ at a cabinet shop and lumber liquidators type store.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Which has a better parking lot scene?
    Beat me to it. PM DD.
    I still call it The Jake.

Whichever happens to be offering the 12 month no interest financing at the time.
    The Sheriff is near!

I'd do Ikea for cabinets, personally. Flooring depends on type and patience. When we did lowes hardwood, we had a box of bad pieces we ended up returning (taken from about 10 boxes), so you have to buy extra and pick the good ones.

Home Depot if nobody can see it. Lowes if people can see it. I just did my kitchen in IKEA and though the product was great. Prices, service, mill work, delivery, design program, all top notch.
    Serious all the time.

YMMV. They both hire local contractors for the install and you don't really get the opportunity to vet them. You could get stuck with a shitty install experience then have to deal the corporate behemoth to make it right.....
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Dentists don't buy big box crap. Who are you people?

Seen a few people go this route. Every one of them had issues ranging from late delivery to poor after the sale service.
    The "designer" never sets foot in your home, so they miss any quirks or options that would allow better use of the space. Go with a local yard that has a designer that will come to your house and measure.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    YMMV. They both hire local contractors for the install and you don't really get the opportunity to vet them. You could get stuck with a shitty install experience then have to deal the corporate behemoth to make it right.....
    All said above is pretty much spot on. Cost for custom may end up not much more than big box depending on region. If looking to save money and get a good product ikea is probably the best bet.

Where are you located?
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

i will say without reservation that i had an enormously shitty and expensive experience with hd subcontractors.

Lowes or Home Depot for kitchen remodeling?

Another vote for IKEA for wall and counter cabinets. Design is the tricky part (their web browser planner can give one THE headache), but given the lego style of their fit, return and switching out is easy if you change your mind (customer service was top notch, no questions asked on any return). Price per sqr foot couldn't be beat vs similar level competitor, and again due to the nature of the build/materials, quality of the parts was very consistent. We went independent on the flooring, counters and fixtures.

Needed cabinets and 6 panel doors for remodeling. Priced both at Home Depot. I got better cabinets, with more options, and much, much nicer doors (straight grain fir instead of random grain pine) both for better prices, from the Truckee Tahoe lumber yard than from Home Depot. In my case a big part of the difference in price is that TTL delivers here for free; HD charges a lot. But regardless of where you are don't rule out local cabinet shops, flooring shops, etc.
    My son ordered replacement windows from Lowes in Boston--the price was great, but it took nearly a year to get them installed--4 th floor walk up condo, issues with the local contractor Lowes hired, confirming his insurance with Homeowner's association, my son works 100/hr week, yada, yada , yada. Eventually got done, most independents wouldn't even give him a bid due to the height, and as I said the price was unbeatable.

As a dentist who is just wrapping up his kitchen remodel, I am uniquely qualified to answer this one.

Do you have a contractor? Or are you looking to be a GC and just hire out each piece of the job? I honestly would avoid using HD/Lowes installers for anything, because you have no clue what you're getting, and you have people just trying to get the shit done, and not necessarily caring if they encounter a problem, they'll just hammer that square peg into the round hole. Like with most skilled jobs, lots of people can do it if everything goes smoothly, you pay the good people more because you need people who will appropriately address things when it doesn't go smoothly.

We considered both HD and Lowe's. And here is what we found: for cabinets, a local manufacturer provided us nicer cabinets with more accountable service at basically the same price point, maybe a little more expensive but nicer cabinets and easier organization to deal with. IKEA would have been quite a bit cheaper. So if price is your major consideration and you like IKEA styles and can deal with IKEA quirkiness, I would go with that. They have a design service, but if you are in a big city, I bet there are some local design places that provide IKEA design services for cheap (I know there is one in Denver, for ex). There are also some that do it nationwide, and also offer a similar semi-custom cabinet service. I could rustle up that company name if you are curious (not that I ever dealt with them).

Appliances, well, we bought those at HD.

Floors, we went through a local contractor. I cannot imagine HD or Lowes would have been cheaper (we got 4 quotes and the ones we used were really reasonable) and again, we had more accountability (they just came by last week to touch up a couple of issues we discovered).

There is a monster thread in here that I started about remodels that has tons of useful info from some of the smarter dentists in here, go wade through it.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Tried to use Lowes for our floors. They actually made it very difficult. So we dropped them and used a local company. Much better quality and service. Difference in price was negligible.

You work on the street right, st Jerry? Just find the best custom guy in your area and get it done. You'll be dissapointed with big box.

If you live anywhere near Pennsylvania I have a friend that is 2nd generation family chain cabinet builders. They do the best work I have ever seen. They are the real deal.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    You work on the street right, st Jerry? Just find the best custom guy in your area and get it done. You'll be dissapointed with big box.

If you live anywhere near Pennsylvania I have a friend that is 2nd generation family chain cabinet builders. They do the best work I have ever seen. They are the real deal.
    I'd go IKEA before either HD or Lowe's. My wife and I hired a gc who had great flooring, tile, and electrical subs. IKEA had their own sub for countertops. We ended up replacing the floor with solid oak hardwood, IKEA cabinets, new sink, some electrical work. We got the whole thing done for under 8 grand in our circa 300-400 square foot kitchen. We assembled all the cabinet bodies ourselves to save money, and we didn't move plumbing. We had bought new appliances the year prior. It was kind of a pain in the ass, but it looked great and wasn't too pricey.

I work with some Lowe's management alumni. They think HD is doing better with the installers these days, fwiw.

IKEA cabinet boxes for sure. Seeing them now in $1M+ homes around here. You can always buy custom or semi-custom doors elsewhere to match the IKEA boxes. Check out Semihandmade. Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ski-wpk View Post
    IKEA cabinet boxes for sure. Seeing them now in $1M+ homes around here. You can always buy custom or semi-custom doors elsewhere to match the IKEA boxes. Check out Semihandmade. Great stuff.
    $1M+ homes around here doesn't mean much these days!
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    $1M+ homes around here doesn't mean much these days!
    Your trailer is probably multi millions.

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post

Thanks. Will likely go the local route.
    Located in southern Westchester County, NY
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Your trailer is probably multi millions.
    I upgraded to a modular, you should see my pimped out place now.

In some big box store P-lots the illegals hanging out might do a really fine tuck and roll job on your ride, maybe hang some turkey nuts?

but I would go to the big box store that has the illegals hanging in the P-lot who do the fine custom mill work

Quote Originally Posted by ski-wpk View Post
    yeah I've also heard this^^ the boxes are just boxes
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Drywall screws are a telltale sign of a shitty kitchen installation
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.