Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Derp.

I did a kitchen remodel using cabinets and flooring from Home Depot. The only thing I did not do myself was counter tops. The cabinets were delivered direct to our home on a semi, driver and a helper put the cabinets in our garage. Everything went smooth, only hitch was one cabinet was wrong size which HD corrected by ordering the right size and told me keep the wrong one which worked great in our laundry room. I did not price out custom cabinets so I can't say if I saved any money. They looked great fit and finish were excellent, soft close drawers etc, everything square turned out fine. I am not saying this is the way to go, just pointing out that this route can work.

I’m no lover of big box stores but most local yards I’ve visited lately have made it pretty clear that they don’t give a shit about the consumer trade. Sure they’ve gotten screwed by the big box stores and I know I’m a small dollar occasional customer but I’m not ready to accept really awful service and high prices to support a local business.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Quote Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post
    I’m no lover of big box stores but most local yards I’ve visited lately have made it pretty clear that they don’t give a shit about the consumer trade. Sure they’ve gotten screwed by the big box stores and I know I’m a small dollar occasional customer but I’m not ready to accept really awful service and high prices to support a local business.
    Those local places who give such lousy service then deserve to get beaten. I guess it's all dependent on where you are. In the Bozeman area, seemed that times must be sssooooo good for the local yards that they don't give to flying turds about a guy like us walking in to shop. Whereas now I'm in a big city again where the competition is real and now I'm getting the total opposite experience. HD/Lowes are lousy as usual and it's the local yards that have been rolling out the red carpet to earn my business. Been building a deck and I came in, talked to a guy at the counter, showed him what I was thinking I wanted to do. He was eager to show me all options and tell me the ins and outs of them. Within a few hours after leaving, he e-mailed me detailed plans of how to construct it along with multiple quotes for every kind of wood I was looking at. At wholesale prices. This was at a pretty nice yard, too. Then when I was ready to bite the bullet, they delivered the wood the very next day! Service like I've been getting around town here has reminded me of what service from smaller businesses SHOULD be like. When a yard's treating you like you're just a nuisance since you're not some $$$ big contractor, then screw them. They deserve what's coming to them when the next downturn hits.

No shit, these guys are the best fucking remodelers in all of the Floridas... helped my trailer park go condo.

Name:  EDEA9BED-B074-41CB-957A-6CBE3B3F8E04.jpeg
Views: 708
Size:  158.1 KB

fact.

I generally favor Lowes

I generally favor Lowes home installation service for home improvement. Property holders regularly utilize home focuses like Lowes and The Home Depot to plan their kitchens and to purchase cabinetry. I have frequently protected home habitats as not a terrible work environment with on the off chance that you are planning a kitchen and you work really hard tracking down the most experienced home place creator around there.

Quote Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post
    There's one here in town that I had been going to occasionally, particularly for specialty stuff and high end wood, for 20+ years and when I stopped in last summer to get a few pieces of lumber and some ideas they told me they don't even bother with sales under a couple thousand $ anymore and their preference is to only deal with contractors. I asked if they still sell the shingles we put on the roof and he pointed them out, so I asked 'if I needed a pack for replacement purposes would they sell it to me' and he said no. The only other local specialty lumber yard closed up two years ago so I'm stuck with the box stores now unless I go further afield.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    Looking at various options to re-do the kitchen. Mostly just cabinets and floor.
    What does the collective have to say about these guys?

thanks
    Check IKEA too.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    Check IKEA too.
    Unless something has changed since I last redid a kitchen, ikea does a twice per year sale that is hard to beat as a value.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

We used Ikea for our kitchen recently. Quality, price and availability were better than HD or Lowe’s. Obviously not custom kitchen quality and you have to do the work yourself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4842.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	371820

Still a few last things to button up and a backsplash to install.

Got a pro tip from a tile guy when discussing floors and mentioning that I was going to rent my house out when I'm done remodeling. Applies to kitchen remodeling and I'll prolly do it throughout. When I mentioned engineered flooring (Pergo, etc.), he suggested a commercial grade vinyl tile that is far superior to regular vinyl insomuch as if someone drops something on it and dents it or fucks up a spot somehow, you can simply cut that spot out and drop in a new piece as opposed to having to rip out a section. He said the wear and tear and waterproof benefits far exceed other flooring options and it's not that much more. I have yet to investigate as I have other jobs on my plate at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by tomdav View Post
    I generally favor Lowes home installation service for home improvement. Property holders regularly utilize home focuses like Lowes and The Home Depot to plan their kitchens and to purchase cabinetry. I have frequently protected home habitats as not a terrible work environment with on the off chance that you are planning a kitchen and you work really hard tracking down the most experienced home place creator around there.
    A one post JONGbot resurrects a thread from last year to tell us there are Lowes stores in France. ok frogger.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    We used Ikea for our kitchen recently. Quality, price and availability were better than HD or Lowe’s. Obviously not custom kitchen quality and you have to do the work yourself.
    Love it man! When we redo ours we will also get the recessed lights. Looks shiek.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    Love it man! When we redo ours we will also get the recessed lights. Looks shiek.
    Thanks! Came a long way from soffits and fluorescent lights.

Yeah, it's looking good. I like the color choices. What are you going to do for a backsplash?

Very PNW, except for the sunlight coming through the window. Nicely done!

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Very PNW, except for the sunlight coming through the window. Nicely done!
    Ha. Yeah, finally saw the sun for the first time since Halloween this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Yeah, it's looking good. I like the color choices. What are you going to do for a backsplash?
    Doing a mosaic tile in a geometric pattern. Went back and forth about what to do, but I think it definitely needs a little bit of something to make it look less plain.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    There's one here in town that I had been going to occasionally, particularly for specialty stuff and high end wood, for 20+ years and when I stopped in last summer to get a few pieces of lumber and some ideas they told me they don't even bother with sales under a couple thousand $ anymore and their preference is to only deal with contractors. I asked if they still sell the shingles we put on the roof and he pointed them out, so I asked 'if I needed a pack for replacement purposes would they sell it to me' and he said no. The only other local specialty lumber yard closed up two years ago so I'm stuck with the box stores now unless I go further afield.
    Alas, that's increasingly true. I did some raingutter/downspouts work a few months ago, and was stuck with Lowes' spotty inventory for materials (HD was much worse), because the companies carrying exactly what I wanted either (local) won't talk to someone who isn't an ongoing contractor account, or (non-local) wouldn't waste their time without a three-figure charge for shipping via their trucking partner. I also did some doorknob upgrades, and fortunately I could get in to see the supplier whose stuff matched the rest of what we have, but only because a contractor buddy who works with them called them up first.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4842.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	371820

Ikea here too and same damned cabinets. Lol...different handles though.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

I’ve got two apartment buildings, up to four ikea kitchens now. #5 next year

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    I’ve got two apartment buildings, up to four ikea kitchens now. #5 next year

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    From now on, I will address you as "Slumlord" in all posts.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    From now on, I will address you as "Slumlord" in all posts.
    As long as you preface it with "Rent Gouging"

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    Alas, that's increasingly true. I did some raingutter/downspouts work a few months ago, and was stuck with Lowes' spotty inventory for materials (HD was much worse), because the companies carrying exactly what I wanted either (local) won't talk to someone who isn't an ongoing contractor account, or (non-local) wouldn't waste their time without a three-figure charge for shipping via their trucking partner. I also did some doorknob upgrades, and fortunately I could get in to see the supplier whose stuff matched the rest of what we have, but only because a contractor buddy who works with them called them up first.
    Uggh, gutters. Another fkn level of bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Uggh, gutters. Another fkn level of bullshit.
    Until I can get my hands on a gutter crapping machine that does seamless, I’m happy to hire that out. Guy replaced everything on our house. Took him a couple hours, they look perfect, and it wasn’t that expensive. It would have taken me a couple days, there would be seams, it wouldn’t look as good and it wouldn’t have saved me enough to be worth it.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

For the price there are several cabinet maker with very good websites. You can pick and drop and see what your finished installation would look like. Chat with them. Place order.i did my kitchen myself. Over a period of time. I found Lowe's to be the best option for this. The had a large selection of finishes and styles in stock. I could pick the pieces I wanted. Take them home play around with them. Set in place or mount. Then go back to the store and grab more. They had the same stuff for months and I changed my vision as to what I wanted a few times.

This was not really possible at the other places in the Reno area
    Own your fail. ~Jer~