Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Before we sold our house we redid our kitchen with Klearvue cabinets from Menards. A very similar style to Ikea types (the shells are all built the same but you pick if you want doors, drawers, or both.) Redid the entire thing for less than 5k...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kitchen.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	371929
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kitchen2.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	371930

I’m surprised by the ikea raves. A builder friend has been using them for years.

I just unpacked a wardrobe closet and I feel like I’m in college again. Shitty particle board with thermofoil wrap. Better have climate control, cause this shit will melt in the humidity.

The price is nice, but I can’t see doing a whole kitchen with this. If you buy particle board cabinets, at least they are glued and stapled and braced. IKEA just seems cheap.
    Anyone add glue? Those crappy cam locks suck.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    I’m surprised by the ikea raves. A builder friend has been using them for years.

I just unpacked a wardrobe closet and I feel like I’m in college again. Shitty particle board with thermofoil wrap. Better have climate control, cause this shit will melt in the humidity.

The price is nice, but I can’t see doing a whole kitchen with this. If you buy particle board cabinets, at least they are glued and stapled and braced. IKEA just seems cheap.
    From what I can tell the ikea carcasses are built pretty much the same as most of the modular systems you’d get from Hd or Lowe’s. Don’t think you’re getting plywood from any of them.

we added glue.

ikea/HD/Lowe's cabs == rental unit quality
    best for places that will be beat on & are guaranteed to need to be replaced
    decent looking, but cheaply made & fastened together

much like LVT flooring (luxury vinyl tile)

"luxury" vinyl tile

So. The sides of the ikea cabinet were surprisingly light.
    Didn’t feel like particle board.

Had to cut 7/8” off the bottom. WOW
    Turns out the sides are hollow. A thin strip of particle board front and back and one more in the middle where the shelf pegs are.
    Dayyyummm
    Vaporware
    . . .

Turns out the sides are hollow. A thin strip of particle board front and back and one more in the middle where the shelf pegs are.
    Dayyyummm
    Vaporware
    Haha, holy shit, that's pretty crappy. The previous line of Ikea cabinets (Akurum) at least was solid particle board - it's a bad sign when solid particle board sounds like a big step up. If I ever have a forever house, and it needs new cabinets, I'll probably look into Barker Cabinets - RTA made in Oregon, cost about 2x what Ikea costs, but it's plywood, dovetail drawers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    For the price there are several cabinet maker with very good websites. You can pick and drop and see what your finished installation would look like. Chat with them. Place order.i did my kitchen myself. Over a period of time. I found Lowe's to be the best option for this. The had a large selection of finishes and styles in stock. I could pick the pieces I wanted. Take them home play around with them. Set in place or mount. Then go back to the store and grab more. They had the same stuff for months and I changed my vision as to what I wanted a few times.

This was not really possible at the other places in the Reno area
    I don't mean this in a bad, but don't you live in a trailer?

Dayyyummm
    Vaporware
    Your closet thing is not the same as what the kitchen cabinets are made of. Solid particle board for ours. We have done fairly significant cutting and trimming of panels and they are solid.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    I don't mean this in a bad, but don't you live in a trailer?
    Yes, that I basically gutted one section at a time and am over rebuilding. Cieling walls and floors. Completely changed the floor plan. I will find a picture of the kitchen cabinets. I have over 1,100 sq of porcelain tile floors. Tin panels for the ceilings. I will like it if I ever finish.
    I took part of another bedroom to make a walk in closet for my room. Anyway I have spent a good bit of time in the big stores doing major do it yourself remodeling.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

It's like Snoopy's doghouse.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    It's like Snoopy's doghouse.
    I'm sure his place is cleaner and he doesn't push construction materials and tools around to get from place to place
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    We used Ikea for our kitchen recently. Quality, price and availability were better than HD or Lowe’s. Obviously not custom kitchen quality and you have to do the work yourself.
    Iv’e used Ikea before on a small condo kitchen...the cabinet boxes are very well built for the price and they have a kitchen planner tool that was awesome. The Ikea stuff looks much more modern too. I also liked the fact that if a door front got damaged, I could just go pick one up...great for kids and renters.

If you don’t want to do an Ikea install I bet it is easy to find someone to handle it.

My in-laws are doing a small job (1/2 bath and laundry area) w Home Depot and it has been a bit of an overpriced clusterfuck.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Anyway that's why I liked Lowes. Not every store is the same. But there's one near you that will have lots of stock. You can touch the stuff. And they will have lots of pieces in a particular style. Some stores. The stuff I picked is solid red oak frames and fronts. Rest I the heavy particle board stuff.
    I just liked that you could pick the pieces. To fit the space the way you want. And you can change your mind.

And they do have a nice website with pictures and lists of what's in stock by store
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Yes, that I basically gutted one section at a time and am over rebuilding. Cieling walls and floors. Completely changed the floor plan. I will find a picture of the kitchen cabinets. I have over 1,100 sq of porcelain tile floors. Tin panels for the ceilings. I will like it if I ever finish.
    I took part of another bedroom to make a walk in closet for my room. Anyway I have spent a good bit of time in the big stores doing major do it yourself remodeling.
    That's cool.

As discussed in the other home improvement thread - if you live near a west coast major metro (SEA, PDX, OAK, SF, LA, etc) go down to the industrial part of town and find one of the many Asian prefab cabinet shops. They are hard to beat for the quality/price.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA