Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Many big box installers are shit. My brother spent a fortune on his kitchen and it looks like crap. I hired a contractor whose work I had seen and have a great kitchen. You don't always get what you pay for.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Lowes or Home Depot for kitchen remodeling?

We had a bad experience with HD and a granite countertop. Took over a month after the install to get it all sorted out and it still kinda looked like shit. At least it was before selling the place. They basically subcontracted it out and took money off the top so the sub tried to cut corners in order to make profit. We called them out on it, and got the major issues fixed but it took a month of hassling, bs and escalation.

Tread carefully. I've done two door installs with Lowes/HD (Denver south metro area), and both were botched initially, and took several additional weeks to correct. I think our front door took nearly 8 weeks to finish from the initial install date. Very frustrating for a simple project. The only positive was complaining to management and getting 30% off the price of the projects.

A neighbor did a kitchen remodel through HD and it took something like 5 months to finish after all the issues.

Given that experience, I would never use them for anything more complicated. We did a 40k kitchen remodel last year and used a local contractor recommended from a neighbor and were very happy with the results.

NO. NEITHER. DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT.

As Danno said, this has been hashed out multiple times. I'm not totally anti HD & Lowes but cabinets, flooring & installs are the last things I'd get there.

You live is fuckin' Westchester, doesn't somebody at the country club or around the horse barn have some direct referrals to contractors Chet or Buffy used?

I'm calling you out. You are lazy. The best return on your time is in pre-construction. If you don't have the time, hire a GC. If you don't have the money, GC it yourself. If you don't have the time nor the money, you can't afford it.

they probably got the illegals from the P-lot who do the great tuck n roll jobs ... perfect example of why you want a refferal
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I would think going to Home Depot for a "contractor" would be like going to McDonald's looking for a "hamburger".

I'd also think that being "good in category" would immediately disqualify any person of substance from working for the 800 lb gorilla. That's not what megacorp is looking for.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

^^^pretty much. Contract installs pay about 1/2 of what i get independently (I'm talking about local cabinet shops and flooring suppliers) and they never want to pay for any remediation of site conditions (floor prep, out of square/plumb etc.). In fact they don't even let me walk the jobs.

Contract installers are either just learning a trade (once proficient, the will find there own work) or horrible business people that can't deal with scheduling, invoicing, bidding etc.

If you use a contract installer and the supplier to provide the scope of work this will give the installer and ask them what happens if additional work is required.

I've price shopped cabinets from both HD, Lowes, and higher end shops around town. In the end, the price difference was negligible IF comparing apples to apples. No freaking way would I trust the big box stores to take good care of me in the end. Not to mention, many of their products are subpar to try to meet certain price points while maintaining SOME level of profitability. The massive possibility of getting worse service, a worse product, a bad install, and zero support is not worth the risk IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    horrible business people that can't deal with scheduling, invoicing, bidding etc.
    One could argue that's 90% of all GCs, too. But they still try.

check out ikea cabinets with these door fronts: http://www.semihandmadedoors.com/
    they are a little more than the ikea doors but many more options. the ikea boxes and drawers are solid have done two kitchens and three bathrooms this way.

If you are purchasing value cabinets go ikea. If you are doing click lock floors HD or Lowe's are a fine place to buy them.

Never ever use a contractor from a big box store.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

We are currently in the midst of a remodel that is including kitchen cabinets. I happened to be in Lowes grabbing a few things and noticed they had I think 40% off their cabinets with various rebates. So I sat down for a while and did a quick design. Even with the discount I wouldn't have saved much and the difference in quality and options between them and the local shop we went to was huge. I see big box as a supply store, but if you need the work done, go to a pro.

Not a popular opinion here but I had a small kitchen installed by HD and the work was top notch. Three Russian guys that seemed to take their shit serious. The angle cuts on the trim pieces were perfect and they spent a shit ton of time getting the kick panels to perfectly match the uneven floor tiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Not a popular opinion here but I had a small kitchen installed by HD and the work was top notch. Three Russian guys that seemed to take their shit serious. The angle cuts on the trim pieces were perfect and they spent a shit ton of time getting the kick panels to perfectly match the uneven floor tiles.
    These are basic requirements of any legit cabinet install.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    One could argue that's 90% of all GCs, too. But they still try.
    bong hits and accounting go hand in hand

If your choice is big box stores? Ikea no question. They have a kitchen promo 2-3 times a year where everything is 20% off, which makes a huge difference. You can return anything, install a cabinet and decide you don't like the drawer configuration? No problem. Where I live they also had the best prices on Caesarstone quartz counters, with the 20% off it was cheaper than the fly by night discount chinese quartz places of questionable quality. 25 year warranty, a friend of ours had yellowing after 15 years on 4 of their white doors. Doors weren't made anymore so they got a refund on ALL their doors, drawer fronts and panels so they could replace everything with one of the new lines.

If you don't want to do the work yourself, find your own installer. Don't take anyone any of these stores offers for installers, it's a complete gamble, you might get someone that's awesome, but you're more likely to get someone shit. Find a reputable installer who ideally spends all their time doing kitchens. If you're getting IKEA, find someone who's done dozens of them already and knows the quirks.

I don't know shit about kitchen remodeling, but I ALWAYS choose HD over Lowes for the simple fact that HD lumber is FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) approved.

So give your bidness to HD.

"The Home Depot was the first national retailer to carry Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)-certified wood in 1994. Since then, we have led the industry in sustainable wood sourcing.
    Reflecting a political commitment toward sustainability, globally protected forest land grew by 35% between 1990 and 2010.
    FSC-certified products reinforce this commitment. They are produced from wood harvested from responsibly managed forests where environmental, societal and economic interests and benefits are safeguarded."
    They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do.

ikea
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Just remember, go to East Asheville Hardware before you go to Lowe's.

"fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I'm GC & do a lot of kitchens. On occasion clients will have chosen to get cabs from HD or Lowes. It's always a mess.

Most of the comments above are bourne out by my experiences as well. The installers are contract guys who for whatever reason can't seem to find independent work. I've had to fix their terrible installs a few times, and that is not a cheap endeavour for the homeowner.

In most cases the local cabinet shop will have installers or will refer real contractors who will do a fine job. The cost may be a little higher but it will be worth it if you value your time & sanity at all.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

The Home Depot by me at least has a better selection than lowes for kitchen stuff

Box stores suck and their products are shit.

Answer these questions -

How often do you plan on using your kitchen daily?

How many years do you plan on living in that house?

Then get a price from pos box store with a shit layout. Then have a real cabinet maker design custom to use all available space instead of fillers with dead air behind them that the box will give you.

When you get the numbers back, divide it out and figure what it will cost you per use and per year for cabinets where the door won't fall off in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Grape_Ape View Post
    I don't know shit about kitchen remodeling, but I ALWAYS choose HD over Lowes for the simple fact that HD lumber is FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) approved.
    This is the dumbest shit I've read in the PR in some time.

If you buy your lumber at HD or Lowes, you are doing it very wrong.

Did you know there are REAL lumberyards where you can drive right up to what you need and load it directly into your truck?

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    This is the dumbest shit I've read in the PR in some time.

If you buy your lumber at HD or Lowes, you are doing it very wrong.

Did you know there are REAL lumberyards where you can drive right up to what you need and load it directly into your truck?
    Sort of. Generally speaking, lumber yard lumber has gotten worse and HD/Lowes lumber has gotten better over the last 8-10 years. For whole house packs, the big box guys are very price competitive and are serving out of regional wholesale yards. I can generally pass my costs on the the customer so as long as the local yard is no totally out of line, I go with them.

I know spec builders saving $15-20K on materials costs by getting lumber packs delivered from the front range. The local guys are busy as shit and don't care. That is an apples-to-apples comparison including delivery and pickup/returns.

I've got a fixed price job this summer when I have to buy +/- 100 sheets ACX @ $50 per. I'm gonna price shop for sure.

Like most things, it is situational.