Page 2 of 72 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    I go away snowboarding in Japan for a week, and winter shits itself?! Bah!!

I'll definitely be able to get excited about riding soon thankfully, just got some winter maintenance to get through first and then its go time!

We got a bunch done this weekend, but also came upon a few new blowdowns. The work never ends, but I sure enjoy the shit out of new builds...and then especially riding them. So damn fun!

Anyone know any info about riding near Norwalk, CT? I am headed down for work next week and, if the conditions are dry, I can get some riding in.

^^^PM scublover, I think that's near his neck of the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineSkiAddict1 View Post
    Anyone know any info about riding near Norwalk, CT? I am headed down for work next week and, if the conditions are dry, I can get some riding in.
    Waddaya need to know? I'm only about 45 minutes from there.

As of now it's dry but that won't last more than a few more hours. We're looking at 3-7" by lunchtime Friday and then another storm on Monday night/Tuesday. Bring a bike, I'll show you some fun stuff an hour north of Norwalk. If you don't want to drive an hour there's always Mianus River Park or Wilton Woods but they are questionable if it's soft. If you have a fatty bring that because even if the snow melts it's gonna be soft ground.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Waddaya need to know? I'm only about 45 minutes from there.

As of now it's dry but that won't last more than a few more hours. We're looking at 3-7" by lunchtime Friday and then another storm on Monday night/Tuesday. Bring a bike, I'll show you some fun stuff an hour north of Norwalk. If you don't want to drive an hour there's always Mianus River Park or Wilton Woods but they are questionable if it's soft. If you have a fatty bring that because even if the snow melts it's gonna be soft ground.
    I assumed things were pretty dry (although Tuesday could screw with that). If conditions were right, I was hoping to ride.

My Friday schedule is almost wide open. The only trick is that I am going to need to demo/ rent a bike from somewhere. I won't be able to bring any of my bikes.

I'm in the area, and will have Sun afternoon, and all Monday free. More than welcome to borrow one of my rides one of those days.

Granted, I'll be on the Fatty. Have a mid-fat hardtail that may work, considering the snow we're getting...

Might get out this afternoon, but just to a little local place.

8-12" predicted for Tuesday. I'm supposed to be on jury duty, but suspect it may be cancelled. In which case, snow day!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

I assumed things were pretty dry (although Tuesday could screw with that). If conditions were right, I was hoping to ride.

My Friday schedule is almost wide open. The only trick is that I am going to need to demo/ rent a bike from somewhere. I won't be able to bring any of my bikes.
    How tall are you? I have a couple of demo bikes in sm and med. Yeah it's looking like we're gonna get a foot or more so hopefully things are packed out and + bike will be sufficient. I have a sm Hayduke (23" top tube) with 3.5's that should work if you're 5'10" or less, may be a touch cramped but you'll live. I should be open for a ride on Friday, lets figure it out on Thursday. Bring lights if you have 'em.

Scrub - Sunday looks like it's gonna be silly cold but I may hit the Y'town trails for a bit after lunch if you want to take a ride over. Monday is a definite maybe, I'd love to get back to that place we went in Patterson a few years ago. This time we won't have Josh slowing us down and I can give you a good tour if you want. I'll check with the wife and see if I can get out if you want to meet up there. I'm also curious about Hemlock Hills near you, have you been?

How tall are you? I have a couple of demo bikes in sm and med. Yeah it's looking like we're gonna get a foot or more so hopefully things are packed out and + bike will be sufficient. I have a sm Hayduke (23" top tube) with 3.5's that should work if you're 5'10" or less, may be a touch cramped but you'll live. I should be open for a ride on Friday, lets figure it out on Thursday. Bring lights if you have 'em.

Scrub - Sunday looks like it's gonna be silly cold but I may hit the Y'town trails for a bit after lunch if you want to take a ride over. Monday is a definite maybe, I'd love to get back to that place we went in Patterson a few years ago. This time we won't have Josh slowing us down and I can give you a good tour if you want. I'll check with the wife and see if I can get out if you want to meet up there. I'm also curious about Hemlock Hills near you, have you been?
    Prob late after Sunday @ Wilton Woods.

Haviland I've been a fair bit; no worries there.

The Hemlock/Pine/Bennett's/Wooster stuff is my most often ridden. Know it very well. Lemme' know when you want a tour! Very close to das heimat. Will most likely be in there Monday.

No fatbike needed yet, but for sure after Tuesday.

Rad. I'm 5'7 so the Hayduke is probably fine. Much appreciated. I'll bring lights and such. Once if figure out my commitments, I'll let you know.

Thanks!

Rad. I'm 5'7 so the Hayduke is probably fine. Much appreciated. I'll bring lights and such. Once if figure out my commitments, I'll let you know.

Thanks!
    It's actually pretty good right now. Not as much snow as predicted the other day. No fatty needed.

Tuesday and after may be different entirely, however!

Yeah today fat wasn't needed and won't be until the Tuesday storm. Sunday will probably be too cold for the suspension on my other bikes though, they get super sluggish below about 25*.

Crust cruising is all time in carrabassett valley right now

^^OOhh looks good Krusty the Klown is my bestest friend. We've got 2" of soft pow over mush. When the snow fell the other day it was on warm ground and now it's just insulating it and keeping it soft. The only place it's firm is where bikes were on it Friday afternoon and yesterday morning. Those spots it's great. It's all gonna go to shit with a foot plus on Tuesday though. Probably be next weekend at best before things are rideable again in most areas near me.

That looks awesome Ticket! That is so much fun on the fatty!

Finished up a new trail yesterday that we started last year. Ended up .9, which is nice addition to the area. Won't see it again for a month or so as it will be buried in snow.

Any Portland, ME mags on here? Wife and I are anticipating a move that way early summer from SLC. Have ridden and enjoyed Bradbury Mtn. before but that's the only trails I'm familiar with other than Agamenticus in the southern maine/portland area. Would love to know what's fun locally.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Any Portland, ME mags on here? Wife and I are anticipating a move that way early summer from SLC. Have ridden and enjoyed Bradbury Mtn. before but that's the only trails I'm familiar with other than Agamenticus in the southern maine/portland area. Would love to know what's fun locally.
    I live just north of Portland. The list of stuff is growing by the day. Falmouth has exploded with a TON of riding. Blackstrap/ Cape Elizabeth/ Gorham are all rad. I just checked Gorham stuff out for the first time this fall and I'm already itching to go back. Two different networks that can be linked together fairly easily.

Bradbury is beaten to shit and maintenance is...well, there aren't as many trail stewards there. That said, I still go once a week just for variety.

The Westside trail in Yarmouth is also fun. No vert to speak of but it's a nice out and back with some optional lines.

Also, worth a drive is all the stuff in Kennebunk. Only 20 minutes or so from Portland and fun.

When are you going to be in the area?

I live just north of Portland. The list of stuff is growing by the day. Falmouth has exploded with a TON of riding. Blackstrap/ Cape Elizabeth/ Gorham are all rad. I just checked Gorham stuff out for the first time this fall and I'm already itching to go back. Two different networks that can be linked together fairly easily.

Bradbury is beaten to shit and maintenance is...well, there aren't as many trail stewards there. That said, I still go once a week just for variety.

The Westside trail in Yarmouth is also fun. No vert to speak of but it's a nice out and back with some optional lines.

Also, worth a drive is all the stuff in Kennebunk. Only 20 minutes or so from Portland and fun.

Ah sweet good to hear! Still looking to squeeze in as much vert as possible, hence the excitement about Bradbury. Spent the fall in Falmouth doing election work and trail ran at some small network but didn't know about other stuff.

Moving out likely around mid June. Hoping to get away on the weekends to sugarloaf, NH and VT. Will just have to drug my wife to get her away from the ocean that she's missed so much since we've been in the west.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Not him, but...good to know.

My in-laws are in Lewiston-ish area, and we get up there several times a year. I always bring a bike, for the just in case I can get away to ride.

Have been to Beatbury several times, and Sunday River for lift serve (was fantastic!) once.

If I ever can bust out for more than that, would love to get a tour of some more/better stuff!

That said: had Wilton to myself this afternoon.

Ah sweet good to hear! Still looking to squeeze in as much vert as possible, hence the excitement about Bradbury. Spent the fall in Falmouth doing election work and trail ran at some small network but didn't know about other stuff.

Moving out likely around mid June. Hoping to get away on the weekends to sugarloaf, NH and VT. Will just have to drug my wife to get her away from the ocean that she's missed so much since we've been in the west.
    Yeah, Bradbury has seen better days but it will still provide an easy rip (Save the "O" trail) for a quick hour and change. They have, however, been working the mountain side a bit. I've found a few off-map spots that are fun and the Trion extension to Pineland I believe is still being worked on.

I don't get down to Falmouth nearly as often as I should. The dudes at Allspeed in Portland are knowledgeable and spend a bunch of time doing maintenance there as well as development. All of them are good guys and can give you some options. Last time I rode Blackstrap (Falmouth), I rode everything on the Hurricane Road side save the free ride lines on the Yellow Trail. They have done some pretty cool stuff https://www.trailforks.com/region/bl...4&m=trailforks I haven't explored across Blackstrap road yet or the interstate.

Sugarloaf is spectacular. The network is expanding so quickly...they are making a huge push for it to be a mountain biking community. I haven't seen actual numbers but I bet their visits in the summer have exploded within the past two years.

Jackson > SLC > Portland > Atlanta
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Jackson > SLC > Portland > Atlanta
    Hahaha. If you can actually believe it, Plan D was Charleton SC. I'm loathe to be near my parents and place of birth again. But then we were like... what the fuck are we thinking?!? Let's at least be near some mountains.

Mountains and lobsters with claws, good call.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Hahaha. If you can actually believe it, Plan D was Charleton SC. I'm loathe to be near my parents and place of birth again. But then we were like... what the fuck are we thinking?!? Let's at least be near some mountains.
    Good call. I was and still am in same boat. My wife needs the ocean. Portland area is probably where if move to now if I was heading back east. Great spot imo.

What a super fun ride! Stella blue is Stella white today! We hit it just at the right depth for a little cushion and decent grip. 2hrs in toward the end it was getting too deep and slick.