Page 51 of 72 FirstFirst ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1782
    Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    gl - building trails is a whole 'nother animal than maintaining them.
    It doesn't have to be that much different or require much more effort depending on your goals.

I've been clearing/creating trail for decades using just loppers, a small folding saw, and sometimes but not always, a rake. NEVER a shovel or McLeod or whatever those things are called. "Digging" to create new trail using shovels and other heavy tools is a slow and tedious way to "build" trail. Plus it's very high impact compared to just scratching in a whole lotta trail in a much shorter timeframe and riding the trail in over time. Scratching in new trail is about working with the topography and natural obstacles just how they lay instead of fighting the land using berms, bench cuts and having to create drainage. In some regions I've found an old lawn mower with the wheel height set on high is very effective and efficient when there's a very dense understory present.

I like turtles.
    Is exactly how I feel when I read anything from DaveNJ and MM.
    Thread has jumped the shark.
    crab in my shoe mouth

I’d like to do some trail work.

How do I mount a leaf blower on my fork?

Leave the leaves be. Taking them away is not the answer. Unless it's an area where the trails see little to no use. Like just you and a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    That thing is crazy-pants! Did you get to pedal it by any chance?

I got to pedal around on a couple of Darren's older bikes a few years ago. Only really in the Sunday River parking lot, but it was still cool. No linkage forks though.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

I like bicycles.
    best part of bicycles is riding them

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    best part of bicycles is riding them
    Totally. Magic today riding in a sea of leaves.
    https://youtu.be/aqZw3TstXiU

Quote Originally Posted by MrMan View Post
    Leave the leaves be. Taking them away is not the answer. Unless it's an area where the trails see little to no use. Like just you and a few others.
    You describe our trails like you’ve ridden them.

Yep killer day for a ride I got out on one of my old favorites, didn't look like anyone had been on it in weeks. The leaves were many inches deep, there were tons of sticks and branches down, the ground had softened in a lot of places and the moss was like riding on a carpet along the ridgeline. Real primitive backcountry type riding. I'm going to miss this place...

The state is about to start a big logging operation this winter and there were hundreds of trees marked for cutting so one of the original, early trails in the area is about to be ruined forever They're doing it to make better rabbit habitat and encourage new, young forest growth rather than allow a previously cut (100 years ago) forest to continue to recover and mature. They're going to strip a cranberry growth area that happened naturally and cut a road in where the ridgeline singletrack is now to get heavy equipment in and logs out. Apparently there are less than a dozen of some obscure subspecies of jackrabbit that need dense undergrowth to protect them from raptors and other predators so they're going to take out the big logs and leave all of the trash to create thickets that birds and coyotes won't want to go into. They say that we're going to be allowed to go in and lay in new trails after they're done but there's no way it's going to have that nearly old growth feel anymore and it's just going to be ratty and ugly so why bother putting all of those hours of effort into an ugly place.

You describe our trails like you’ve ridden them.
    Maybe some similar. Like mine maybe. Seldom ridden trails can afford to have freshly fallen organic material taken away here and there. While I much prefer to ride the leaves into a nice tight tamped golden ribbon of new trail surface, the other guy that rides and maintains the trails with me has a hard on for the leaf blower. Have at it. Low impact primitive trail FTW.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 265
Size:  20.0 KB

I can ride with my backpack blower. Smallest Stihl backpack they make. ...but I don't actually have it running while riding. Use it as little as possible, but it's a must because the trails disappear especially night riding.

Awesome ride last night...damn! Perfect weather!

I'm pumped to get out tonight! Leaf blowing is a tough call, but necessary when trails see minimal usage. Raking just isn't efficient.

After a couple chill Ipa's last night post ride some crazy samples were brought out.
    The Funky Buddah was a great Porter.

Quick afterwork ride....73F...getting tough to find the trail in places.

I just put my snow tires on which means it will be 70 degrees through November.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    I just put my snow tires on which means it will be 70 degrees through November.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    My snows stay on year round. You're welcome. Bring on the January thaw!!!

Quote Originally Posted by teletele View Post
    Any of your regular spots open into hunting season? Thinking of a November pop-in to ride Earls or wherever...

Any of your regular spots open into hunting season? Thinking of a November pop-in to ride Earls or wherever...
    Earls and B St are open as far as I know, but I have only ever seen 1 hunter at B St and he was an old timer not venturing too far from the parking lot.

Hunting is on from now until Feb I believe but not on Sundays so that would be the safest.

Have a specific date in mind?

Earls and B St are open as far as I know, but I have only ever seen 1 hunter at B St and he was an old timer not venturing too far from the parking lot.

Hunting is on from now until Feb I believe but not on Sundays so that would be the safest.

Just had an excellent afternoon @ B-Street on Monday. Rode with one other person, didn't see another rider until back at the lot after our ride. Saw two hikers/dig-walkers the entire time.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Just had an excellent afternoon @ B-Street on Monday. Rode with one other person, didn't see another rider until back at the lot after our ride. Saw two hikers/dig-walkers the entire time.
    Even when the lot is full, which is pretty rare, I hardly evah see anyone else around. Very few trailheads and the trails are so spread out nicely you only occasionally run into others.

Yeah it's becoming a 'which way did she go' game and will be that way until all the leaves come down and we get a good windy storm.

Killer day to get out for a ride! Gideeup!

Did a rough layout of a new trail on this hill. Glad I didn't build it!

Not specifically, but I guess some Sunday in Nov, excluding Mikaela Sunday of course.

I'll be in touch. Promise I'll hang this time

17 NE - Get out and ride thread

The Walpole version of BroDonkulous is November 5th. New segment just got finished. Tie Dyed, 56 seconds of pure bliss. Easily the best berm I've ever ridden. Pulls you in an embraces you like a mother. So cool. And jumps that I rolled yesterday, I was able to send today. Ran into the young fellahs, who built it, and thanked them for their effort. There will be some local probros at this rolling party. I'm expecting to see some of y'all. I'll lead a section exploration the day before. There is a party after.
    Let's Party.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    BroDonkulous. 56 seconds of pure bliss. Easily the best I've ever ridden. Embrace young fellahs. There will be some exploration
    Let's Party.
    #brokebackmtn