Page 3 of 72 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    ^^^damn you're riding and I'm drinking beer in sweatpants. Good on you.

This storm is a dud in Boston, 4.5 inches and its sleeting. So much for 12-18 in here.

Woke up to ~10". Fuck it. Not going anywhere.

Finally got out to do the shovel bit. I'll say a solid 14" here in Douchebury.

Snowshoes tomorrow!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Good call. I was and still am in same boat. My wife needs the ocean. Portland area is probably where if move to now if I was heading back east. Great spot imo.

What a super fun ride! Stella blue is Stella white today! We hit it just at the right depth for a little cushion and decent grip. 2hrs in toward the end it was getting too deep and slick.
    I thought you lived in the sea coast, no?
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

^^he does, close enough to come party in Portland

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    I thought you lived in the sea coast, no?
    Yeah, you know I'm right down the street from Crop! Just sayin "if" I was to now id head to Portland. Didn't exactly type that out properly before. I'm here because of family stuff from years ago. Parents were sick...and then kids came...you get locked in. We're close to moving on again now though.

Yeah, you know I'm right down the street from Crop! Just sayin "if" I was to now id head to Portland. Didn't exactly type that out properly before. I'm here because of family stuff from years ago. Parents were sick...and then kids came...you get locked in. We're close to moving on again now though.
    Oh word! Tel that dude hi for me next time you see him. Where you guys thinking of moving to?

It'll bennice to be close to Rye Rocks again.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

My youngest is at Steamers Lane and we might be that way too. Not sure, but likely that neck of the woods.

My youngest is at Steamers Lane and we might be that way too. Not sure, but likely that neck of the woods.
    Nice!! That would be an upgrade in the swell department. Fewer Quebexicans might make for a boring vibe in the water though haha

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Woke up to ~10". Fuck it. Not going anywhere.

Finally got out to do the shovel bit. I'll say a solid 14" here in Douchebury.

Snowshoes tomorrow!
    Yep 14-15" of dense chalk with a 3" thick breakable crust on top. This stuff is gonna be tough to work in to be rideable.

Sounds familiar, that's why we're here too. The kids head off to college next year so hopefully it won't be too long until we can head up to your area or possibly the ME coast.

I rolled the dice today and drove south in search of snow free trails. I expected the worst but the trails at Wompatuck were rideable with 3.0 tires. Snow was thin and nicely packed. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LAZwZSGmZ6KD7gQUkjNEKNJrTbDZ0a0xkTl_f9GjzaA-1536x2048.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	656.3 KB 
ID:	202829

^^ I like your bike

Where it's good, it was real good. Temps warmed up rather rapidly and there were spots where it just ate your front tire, resulting in many falls (see below).

Still a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    ^^ I like your bike
    Thanks man. I just finished building it just in time for the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    ^^ I like your bike
    Yeah, I'll second that one. Sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by MaineSkiAddict1 View Post
    Yeah, Bradbury has seen better days but it will still provide an easy rip (Save the "O" trail) for a quick hour and change. They have, however, been working the mountain side a bit. I've found a few off-map spots that are fun and the Trion extension to Pineland I believe is still being worked on.

I don't get down to Falmouth nearly as often as I should. The dudes at Allspeed in Portland are knowledgeable and spend a bunch of time doing maintenance there as well as development. All of them are good guys and can give you some options. Last time I rode Blackstrap (Falmouth), I rode everything on the Hurricane Road side save the free ride lines on the Yellow Trail. They have done some pretty cool stuff https://www.trailforks.com/region/bl...4&m=trailforks I haven't explored across Blackstrap road yet or the interstate.

Sugarloaf is spectacular. The network is expanding so quickly...they are making a huge push for it to be a mountain biking community. I haven't seen actual numbers but I bet their visits in the summer have exploded within the past two years.
    Quick Portland rundown:

It's very flat. Our biggest hill within riding range of town is only 400' tall (Blackstrap). Lots of roots & rocks or clay soils. Close to town it's very much 29er territory, just for the rollover ability. But, huge amount of trail building over the last decade and general access gains has made up for non-exciting terrain. It's not difficult to put together 4 - 5 hour 90% singletrack rides right from downtown. You might only get 1,500' of elevation in 5 hours, but it's easy to do lots of riding without a car.

Lots of people are excited by the new trail building in Gorham, 20 minutes away. Flat and twisty, and new, so the roots aren't showing yet. Plenty of good riding in South Portland and Cape, more rocky and rooty flat coastal trail mazes, takes some help to make a good loop without stopping every 3 minutes to figure out where you are.

People who like riding bikes down more than up spend their time at Blackstrap Forest ripping 1 1/2 minute downhill runs, and go to Highland to ride lifts as often as they can.

People who like riding both up and down head for Conway NH trails (1:30 away).

Weekend trips to Kingdom Trails and Carrabassett Valley are popular, but 2.5 to 3 hours away. CV is especially a big deal for the Sugarloaf condo owners, really changing things for them.

Bradbury is mostly a local network for people who live in Freeport and Yarmouth, don't know anyone who actually travels to ride there unless they're meeting up with local folks.

Very good locals only networks in Bath and Rockland / Camden area, some elevation to be found, especially around the Camden Snow Bowl, lots of tricky rock riding.

Links:
    Portland Trails
    Falmouth trails
    Cape Elizabeth trails
    Strava Heat Map as well, of course.

Allspeed and Cyclemania shops both do group dirt rides during the week that can quickly teach you good local riding right from downtown. Both very welcoming folks.

It certainly ain't Jackson or SLC, way too flat for that. But lots of people ride bikes here, and make it work for them. When it starts feeling too stale a trip to Conway, Burke high mountain or Sunday River can help fix that. And then there's the ocean...

Good info there, thanks mdlman.

Portland area riding always delivers and hitting up a brewery or two afterwards makes for a damn good day.

Quote Originally Posted by mdlman View Post
    Quick Portland rundown:

It's very flat. Our biggest hill within riding range of town is only 400' tall (Blackstrap). Lots of roots & rocks or clay soils. Close to town it's very much 29er territory, just for the rollover ability. But, huge amount of trail building over the last decade and general access gains has made up for non-exciting terrain. It's not difficult to put together 4 - 5 hour 90% singletrack rides right from downtown. You might only get 1,500' of elevation in 5 hours, but it's easy to do lots of riding without a car.

Lots of people are excited by the new trail building in Gorham, 20 minutes away. Flat and twisty, and new, so the roots aren't showing yet. Plenty of good riding in South Portland and Cape, more rocky and rooty flat coastal trail mazes, takes some help to make a good loop without stopping every 3 minutes to figure out where you are.

People who like riding bikes down more than up spend their time at Blackstrap Forest ripping 1 1/2 minute downhill runs, and go to Highland to ride lifts as often as they can.

People who like riding both up and down head for Conway NH trails (1:30 away).

Weekend trips to Kingdom Trails and Carrabassett Valley are popular, but 2.5 to 3 hours away. CV is especially a big deal for the Sugarloaf condo owners, really changing things for them.

Bradbury is mostly a local network for people who live in Freeport and Yarmouth, don't know anyone who actually travels to ride there unless they're meeting up with local folks.

Very good locals only networks in Bath and Rockland / Camden area, some elevation to be found, especially around the Camden Snow Bowl, lots of tricky rock riding.

Links:
    Portland Trails
    Falmouth trails
    Cape Elizabeth trails
    Strava Heat Map as well, of course.

Allspeed and Cyclemania shops both do group dirt rides during the week that can quickly teach you good local riding right from downtown. Both very welcoming folks.

It certainly ain't Jackson or SLC, way too flat for that. But lots of people ride bikes here, and make it work for them. When it starts feeling too stale a trip to Conway, Burke high mountain or Sunday River can help fix that. And then there's the ocean...
    Thanks for the beta dude! Know it won't be 2500' shuttle laps on my lunch break like the good old Jackson days but I can have a lot of fun with 400' of vert. JHMR bike park was barely over 300' and still an absolute blast.

I'm a little less psyched on flat root mazes, particularly in finding trails my wife will want to ride, but this has been super helpful.

Now just need a mag with a house in CV/Conway/kingdom that wants to rent their house to us, dog friendly, for $100 mid week. Any offers?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Thanks for the beta dude! Know it won't be 2500' shuttle laps on my lunch break like the good old Jackson days but I can have a lot of fun with 400' of vert. JHMR bike park was barely over 300' and still an absolute blast.

I'm a little less psyched on flat root mazes, particularly in finding trails my wife will want to ride, but this has been super helpful.

Now just need a mag with a house in CV/Conway/kingdom that wants to rent their house to us, dog friendly, for $100 mid week. Any offers?
    I bet you could find a cheap summer rental in CV. That is where I'd want to be if I was in Portland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    I bet you could find a cheap summer rental in CV. That is where I'd want to be if I was in Portland.
    Do I PM you then?

patience.

Quote Originally Posted by mdlman View Post
    Quick Portland rundown:
    Sweet info! my in-laws are in Lisbon. We get up there a couple times a year. I usually bring a bike in hopes of ride escapement, but it rarely happens. They are on big chunk of wooded acreage. Generally I just go dink about in the woods on their property.

Have been to B-bury a couple times, and Sunday River (which was fantastic!) on the big bike once. Would love to check out more local stuff when up there next!

The dudes I ran into at Sunday showed me some goods. Lots of steep, old scool techy DH. Loved our last run, descending down from way above the lifts!

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    I rolled the dice today and drove south in search of snow free trails. I expected the worst but the trails at Wompatuck were rideable with 3.0 tires. Snow was thin and nicely packed. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LAZwZSGmZ6KD7gQUkjNEKNJrTbDZ0a0xkTl_f9GjzaA-1536x2048.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	656.3 KB 
ID:	202829
    How do you think it will be tomorrow with the colder temps?

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    How do you think it will be tomorrow with the colder temps?
    I ended up riding yesterday too and most of the snow at Wompatuck is gone. That place dries out quick so mud wasn't much of an issue. I bet everything will firm up nicely after a night of freezing. I bet tomorrow will be good to ride but I'd be wary of icey patches.

If you want to go further south, I heard Miles Standish park in Duxbury is bone dry and 100% dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    I ended up riding yesterday too and most of the snow at Wompatuck is gone. That place dries out quick so mud wasn't much of an issue. I bet everything will firm up nicely after a night of freezing. I bet tomorrow will be good to ride but I'd be wary of icey patches.

If you want to go further south, I heard Miles Standish park in Duxbury is bone dry and 100% dirt.
    I've never ridden down there. I get the sense its a lot of two track?