Page 21 of 72 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Went well until he broke his week old Ski Rack installed chain.
    FUCKING mosquitoes were cloud like when I stopped for him to catch up and a bonus collection of deer flies as well. Must have got tagged 25-30 times.
    Master link?

We've been lucky down here with bugs. Had one horsefly outing and one skeeter hell, but that's it so far. Last several rides have been pretty much bug free. ...Got to keep on moving where I can't be found

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    Thanks to Biggins and buttahflake for the recommendation on Ascutney. Place was fun and flowey compared to the rock fest here around Concord. I stopped at the falls for a picture. There was also a mother and father with their 6 or 7 year old and 1 or 1.5 year old in a soft carrier stopped for a formula break when I took this
    Solid.

Killington tomorrow. Skibbidy-bop!

Quote Originally Posted by MaineSkiAddict1 View Post
    Which loop did you do?

I'd be interested to do the climb again and ride down the new sections of Newton's. I still think the descent on Oak Knoll is the way to ride it. For whatever reason, the climb yesterday felt neverending.
    I did the 50k but the heat and humidity had taken its toll on me. Was totally spent up Newton's and hanging on for dear life down Oak Knoll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

So Strava thought I rode with the kook with the toddler in the soft carrier:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1096367393
    I've seriously never seen anyone do that before. Can't be comfortable for you or the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Master link?

We've been lucky down here with bugs. Had one horsefly outing and one skeeter hell, but that's it so far. Last several rides have been pretty much bug free. ...Got to keep on moving where I can't be found

Probably the master, didn't look too long as my chaintool was in my garage and the mosquitoes. It was a Shimano chain so wouldn't be surprised. I moved to Sram 5 or 6 years ago and haven't had a broken chain since. Quick link is so easy.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Always carry a multi-tool with a chain breaker as well as a quick link.

One of the reasons I still wear a pack is to have a tool, link, tube, minor first aid kit and air. I'd love to ditch the pack but haven't figured a good way to carry the necessities.

Rog says jersey pockets. I dunno though, I'm not into the way a weighted down jersey pulls down. I use this http://bikase.com/product/long-john-frame-bag/ and move it from bike to bike.

In spite of the truly horrific way it looks on a guy of my shape, I have joined the hip pack cult. I don't know it's there, have 1.5L of water, keys and repair essentials. Again, shockingly embarrassing in appearance, but rides awesome and ISN"T a back pack (NTTAWWT).

Can we all just call it what it is? It's a fanny pack.

Did the full circuit for the second time ever today and it was good fun.. Dry everywhere for the first time this season. Rain tomorrow.

Our safety meeting spot and more blueberries...yum!

Yeah, for sure, the best day yet this year. Grip was endless, and the bike came back cleaner than when it left. That looks most excellent Straw.
    crab in my shoe mouth

17 NE - Get out and ride thread

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    In spite of the truly horrific way it looks on a guy of my shape, I have joined the hip pack cult. I don't know it's there, have 1.5L of water, keys and repair essentials. Again, shockingly embarrassing in appearance, but rides awesome and ISN"T a back pack (NTTAWWT).
    I think for most of my post-work/mid-week rides my MH waist pack that holds a water bottle and has a small pocket that should fit air/multi-tool/tire lever/quick link could work. I don't know about a tube though. I pre-hydrate and then ride for less than 2 hours so one water bottle should last. Experimentation begins this week.

Bigger weekend rides might require the backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    I've been using the Source Hipster for a little over a year now. The only gripe I have is that it gets loose as the water level drops and I have to stop and snug up the belt. I don't use the shoulder harness part though. I want to try the Dakine one because I think it has enough storage capacity that I can lose the mini frame bag but I haven't seen one yet to try before I buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I think for most of my post-work/mid-week rides my MH waist pack that holds a water bottle and has a small pocket that should fit air/multi-tool/tire lever/quick link could work. I don't know about a tube though. I pre-hydrate and then ride for less than 2 hours so one water bottle should last. Experimentation begins this week.

Bigger weekend rides might require the backpack.
    A voile strap works great for lashing a tube to your frame. I stick mine near the toptube / downtube junction. It has to be a real messy ride for that area to get dirty but it's still easy to get if it's ever needed.

I've been rocking bib shorts with back pockets for the past few years, haven't let me down yet. Have comfortable spots for all the essentials: tube, pump, CO2, food, tire lever, multi-tool, zipties/random bits. If its not deadly humid or hot, I can sometimes squeak by to the 3 hour mark if I have keep hydration up the previous few days.

Conversely, the last few weeks I have done chill rides near home and gone through 2 bottles in under hours. Humidity is a killer!

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Always carry a multi-tool with a chain breaker as well as a quick link.

One of the reasons I still wear a pack is to have a tool, link, tube, minor first aid kit and air. I'd love to ditch the pack but haven't figured a good way to carry the necessities.
    I carry all of that on my frame and in my fanny pack.

I ride with a vape pen and my phone/Strava, and a gu in my jersey pockets. And one bottle on the frame. And that's it. Tubes and tools? puhleeze, this isn't 1993.
    You guys are doing it wrong.
    Take a lap
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post
    I've been rocking bib shorts with back pockets for the past few years, haven't let me down yet. Have comfortable spots for all the essentials: tube, pump, CO2, food, tire lever, multi-tool, zipties/random bits. If its not deadly humid or hot, I can sometimes squeak by to the 3 hour mark if I have keep hydration up the previous few days.

Conversely, the last few weeks I have done chill rides near home and gone through 2 bottles in under hours. Humidity is a killer!
    Bibs always seem a little to like a 1920s "swimming costume" when taking a dip in the brook or pond after a ride.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38a6628c49f13a712097de474c917af9.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	209759

I go bib, no shirt, pasties and a beer helmet. So far so good.

Haha, yeah no arguments there. Been rocking the raceface ones, they're sheer in some spots to cut down on overheating, so I opt to not flash my junk when swimming.

I lead a lot of group rides, tool and tube usually get handed out to to helpless people running themselves into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I've been using the Source Hipster for a little over a year now. The only gripe I have is that it gets loose as the water level drops and I have to stop and snug up the belt. I don't use the shoulder harness part though. I want to try the Dakine one because I think it has enough storage capacity that I can lose the mini frame bag but I haven't seen one yet to try before I buy.
    I have the larger dakine one. You can really stuff some shit in there -- I've had the bladder going, all tools, tube, small first aid kit, and still space for digital camera -- although it feels a little awkward with the weight and just the one waist strap.

I pulled the bladder and just use a larger bottle on the bike and am totally fine for a two hour ride. Want to find a smaller pump though, my mini floor from Lezyne just barely squeezes in there.

The one up headset tool thing looks dope but I'm not about to drop $130 or whatever it is to rebuild my tool kit.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

iceman rides in bibs.

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    So Strava thought I rode with the kook with the toddler in the soft carrier:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1096367393
    I've seriously never seen anyone do that before. Can't be comfortable for you or the kid.
    The family that rides together, sweats, pees, falls, etc together.

Admittedly the best part of the ride looks like it's near Felchville. Hee hee.

Backpacks offer nice protection for your back when you kook out and eat shit.

I still cannot wrap my head around a fanny pack with all that gear plus water. I've had a few over the years and still have my Chouinard that was the most stable, but when they came out with small approach packs it was so much better than constantly adjusting the belt from sliding down.

You have the same weight, so what are you saving? Slight weight savings on the pack itself and heat build up on your back? Center of balance?

What's old is new again. You guys riding 26ers too?

I still cannot wrap my head around a fanny pack with all that gear plus water. I've had a few over the years and still have my Chouinard that was the most stable, but when they came out with small approach packs it was so much better than constantly adjusting the belt from sliding down.

You have the same weight, so what are you saving? Slight weight savings on the pack itself and heat build up on your back? Center of balance?

Schweaty back and getting the weight down low by your center instead of flopping around by you shoulder everytime you gets airborn.

Camelbak has an interesting fanny pack/backpack combo and seems like more of the brands are putting the bladders horizontally across the back instead of vertical, which I imagine will help a ton
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

My waist pack looks more or less like this one so it's quite a bit smaller than my backpack. It kinda holds everything and I've used it for nordic skiing for years, so it's pretty stable. I don't need the large bladder, the extra weight, or the lack of breathability on my back. What made me think about it was a ride a few weeks ago when I forgot my pack in the truck and seemed to do fine (luckily no mechanicals).

I doubt I'll get out before the monsoons end on Weds. but I'll be sure to report back.

Name:  c700x420.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  65.0 KB