Page 17 of 72 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Rode blackstrap up by Portland for the first time last night. Awesome stuff with nice long runs. Rooty as hell on some of it, you earn the climbs but there's some sweet built trails. Can't wait to spend more time there starting in August. Allspeed crew was up there too and super nice
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Spent the long weekend and holiday exploring some wmass areas. Got into Earl's, Sawmill, and Charlemont (following Dunfee's second hand beta -- thank you, sir). As a complete hack on the bike, moderate fitness, and also taking er easy after a recent crash, each of these had just the right amount of technical climbing and fun descents for me to have a blast in under two hours. Will be back out to ride Thunder a few days later this month when I'm slightly less concussed.

Our driveway was totally blown out by the heavy rain last week in Vt. $7k washed away because a tree got stuck in the culvert. :-/. Another note, riding has been superb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    a tree got stuck in the culvert.
    So common. Culverts cannot be large enough in the hills.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    So common. Culverts cannot be large enough in the hills.
    For sure. It is still passable now but not really safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Random trip to KT planned for tomorrow. Anyone around?

Quote Originally Posted by MaineSkiAddict1 View Post
    Random trip to KT planned for tomorrow. Anyone around?
    About a 50/50 chance we'll be there late morning/midday.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Does anyone have a close up of the pivot point? I've built a couple teeters, but never on a manmade post. That one seems pretty smooth. We have a perfect spot for a similar set up.
    I will send you a PM.. went through there today and snapped a few pics for you.

Basically the big post just has a single bolt through it that the platform pivots on. It is very well balanced, and the base is solidly built.

Its smooth. Exit is a pretty abrupt transition from steep to flat, but it works.

Uggh had to take a nice walk today pushing the bike out of the woods. We were eating up a descent and I completely shredded my back tire pointing it through a rocky stretch. Tore a hole about 2" long when a pointy rock punctured the tread area then as I nearly lost it ripped the sidewall on the other side about 5" long. On the upside the bead never let go so I was able to roll some of the smoother stretches on the way out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Rode blackstrap up by Portland for the first time last night. Awesome stuff with nice long runs. Rooty as hell on some of it, you earn the climbs but there's some sweet built trails. Can't wait to spend more time there starting in August. Allspeed crew was up there too and super nice
    There you go, next thing you know I'll hear you were crushing beers at Brian Boru

Definitely uggh to walk out. I had a perfect hour and a half ride in the backyard last night. 70` and super windy which equaled cooling and bug repression as well. Also dried out a lot, didn't have to wash the bike, just brushed crumbs off. Of course it's back to rain this evening.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

17 NE - Get out and ride thread

Anyone doing the Pave Madness on Sunday? Pave' are the cobblestone roads that are featured in the Spring Classics, Paris-Roubaix etc... in this case it's all gnarly class IV roads. And I do mean gnarly. There are no real lines, things close out, the ruts will eat you, so many ways to crash. Pete Vollers knows how to party. His events are unique and challenging as fuck. See you on Sunday!

https://www.bikereg.com/vopm
    Last edited by buttahflake; 07-07-2017 at 05:13 AM.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Uggh had to take a nice walk today pushing the bike out of the woods. We were eating up a descent and I completely shredded my back tire pointing it through a rocky stretch. Tore a hole about 2" long when a pointy rock punctured the tread area then as I nearly lost it ripped the sidewall on the other side about 5" long. On the upside the bead never let go so I was able to roll some of the smoother stretches on the way out.
    It sucks, doesn't it. I had a walk out this week when a pawl in my free hub shit the bed. I have a new wheelset and now need a new freehub and conversion kit to go from 12x142 to 10x135 qr. I guess a drive to Alpine Bike Works in Killington is needed. ☹️

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    I will send you a PM.. went through there today and snapped a few pics for you.

Basically the big post just has a single bolt through it that the platform pivots on. It is very well balanced, and the base is solidly built.

Its smooth. Exit is a pretty abrupt transition from steep to flat, but it works.
    Right on! Thanks!

Nice weather last night for the ride, but the horse-flies have shown up and they love my sweaty stank

On the bench talking to the coach mid ride.

Re: Horseflies - LeRog seems to be touting Bounce dryer sheets again as the end all, be all solution. Stuff a few in the back of your helmet and it's like you have a force field to protect from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Definitely uggh to walk out. I had a perfect hour and a half ride in the backyard last night. 70` and super windy which equaled cooling and bug repression as well. Also dried out a lot, didn't have to wash the bike, just brushed crumbs off. Of course it's back to rain this evening.
    It was so nice and dry yesterday, even had some sandy and dusty areas. First time this year the bike wasn't caked with goo when we finished, was a nice change for sure. Up to 1.5" of rain so far this morning

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    It sucks, doesn't it. I had a walk out this week when a pawl in my free hub shit the bed. I have a new wheelset and now need a new freehub and conversion kit to go from 12x142 to 10x135 qr. I guess a drive to Alpine Bike Works in Killington is needed. ☹️
    Yeah Tony and Andrew ought to be able to get you fixed right up. Those guys know their shit.

Of course, while walking I caught my toe on something and apparently ripped the sole off my right shoe. Shoe goo or Gorilla Glue, whadday'all think?

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    gnarly class IV roads. And I do mean gnarly.
    Wait, what? Kinda like those groomers at Kmart?

Laps upon laps for u!

No dude, nothing at all like that. More like beat to shit snowmachine trails. Muddy, rocky, more riverbed than road. Like, fucking gnarly and whatnot. I'll see you there. Let's Party
    crab in my shoe mouth

No dude, nothing at all like that. More like beat to shit snowmachine trails. Muddy, rocky, more riverbed than road. Like, fucking gnarly and whatnot. I'll see you there. Let's Party
    Sounds like the trail at Mt A!

I'll party, but no gravel machine for me.

This is MTB or Fat only. No way you want to do this one on a gravel rig. I'm bringing the 140mm full-squish.
    Let's Get Some!
    crab in my shoe mouth

That looks more annoying than fun to me. I like fast with berms or slower trial style tech.

17 NE - Get out and ride thread

You're more annoying than fun, it's a freaking rad party on bikes in the deep woods! What don't you get?
    Laps
    crab in my shoe mouth

Spinning and splashing on the pavement today, 55 miler with 2500+ feet of gain. Thought I could avoid the showers but the rain soaked me for the last 25 miles. At least I had the rain jacket.
    Followed up with some Stoneface Porter for rehydration
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Lemme know if you wanna rip groomy flow trails up at K. I have two comps with my pass, and I have become addicted to the place all over again. Second the APW guys- they've treated me very well and seem to be hustling hard to support the local scene and grow.

You're more annoying than fun, it's a freaking rad party on bikes in the deep woods! What don't you get?
    Laps
    You're a kook! Looks and sounds like a sufferfest! Rog will join you...he's a kook too. You guys can lap each other.

Anybody been to Bretton Woods to check out their lift served trails yet? Looks decent on paper and the xc network doesn't look terrible. I hate when places require full squish bikes for the dh stuff though, I bet I'm faster on my plus or fat ht than most of the other people there on their squish machines.