Page 14 of 72 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Took a road 40 after work today. Got a good look at the passing showers from many locations along the way. Altered my route several times to miss the blackest clouds. One of the advantages of the paved ways in the metro....

A few raindrops got me anyway...pleasantly cooling but didn't soak the road.
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Your front brake cable should be routed between your fork and wheel to protect it.

Mud holes were deep on last nights ride. Stagnant puddles likely allowed breeding of many mosquitoes. I hope I don't get dengue fever.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Your front brake cable should be routed between your fork and wheel to protect it.

I can't win, had it routed on the inside on my last bike and Rog told me it was wrong. At least I don't have an inner rim tear.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    I can't win, had it routed on the inside on my last bike and Rog told me it was wrong.
    Well then Rog is wrong. If I went into a bike shop and all the floor model were built and setup this way, I would walk out and look for a new shop.
    I'm not picking on you, I'm just trying to prevent a costly mistake of ripping or cutting a brake cable. As a mechanic its the small things that pop at me. I will admit I'm a little OCD when it comes to cable routing on bikes, its my number one pet peeve.

A fitting beer to end one of my last rides around Boston. Off to a wedding in Idaho Friday then starting a new life in the Green Mountain state.

Enjoy the move HS!

Headed to thunder Saturday and hopefully camping over And riding the Charlemont trails then next day. Looks like a ton of riding but not much beta. Anybody got ride suggestions there?
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

You can access the mountain trails by riding up E Hawley Road to E Road, but there's also a blue trail that'll take you up there eventually, its bit meandering in sections but not awful. I haven't ridden much of anything off the back of the mountain but there looks like a ton of trails in there.

I found trail maps here: http://www.charlemont-ma.us/charlemont-trails

Not everything is on strava and I don't think anything was really on trail forks. I wanted to check out the stuff to the north of rt2 but ran out of time. Looked like a lot of riding over there compared to the mountain, and easier access too. I pedaled up Warfield Road to get to it but had to bail off early, looked like you could access it from the Inn's parking lot.

Unsure if Billy's World is open yet, that's a fun descent back to Thunder

Cheers Hank, welcome to VT!

Tacky goodness at HP again last night. It was just starting to get a bit dusty too after the heat last week.

Killington bike bum today. So damn fun. Anyone else doing it? Wednesday's 'till October.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Enjoy the move HS!

Headed to thunder Saturday and hopefully camping over And riding the Charlemont trails then next day. Looks like a ton of riding but not much beta. Anybody got ride suggestions there?
    From what I'm hearing there are miles and miles of goodies on the Warfield side. Some of it is pretty rough though according to some of the local I know. I take that with a grain of salt because they're old

Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post

Find Harold Green when you're at the ski area and ask him for current details, he'll know what's good to go and what's not.

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    Killington bike bum today. So damn fun. Anyone else doing it? Wednesday's 'till October.
    I gotta get up there for one of those, today was HS graduation for my twins.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Enjoy the move HS!

Yeah.

Ride the lifts again the next day, or get up the STAB trails.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Hit STAB for first time today, great network. Need to go back when I've had more than two hours of sleep and didn't go to a Dead & Co show the night before.

Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post
    You can access the mountain trails by riding up E Hawley Road to E Road, but there's also a blue trail that'll take you up there eventually, its bit meandering in sections but not awful. I haven't ridden much of anything off the back of the mountain but there looks like a ton of trails in there.

Not everything is on strava and I don't think anything was really on trail forks. I wanted to check out the stuff to the north of rt2 but ran out of time. Looked like a lot of riding over there compared to the mountain, and easier access too. I pedaled up Warfield Road to get to it but had to bail off early, looked like you could access it from the Inn's parking lot.

Thanks man! Good suggestions. This is what the Charlemont Trails folks recommended:

On the north side of the valley, for descents you'll want to hit Red Zone, TV Tower and West Side. If you park in Town, Climb up Riddell Rd, climb the first double track to the right after the road turns to dirt. Turn left and look for a right hand double track that immediately hits a single track to the left. That's No-Name, will bring you up the nastiest part of the riddell climb much more pleasantly. At the top of noname, you'll see Riddell Rd again, climb until you see Game trail on your left, climb that, then join Sweet 15 and climb and descend that back to Riddell. Continue climbing riddess until you hit middle loop rd, take that to Red Zone.

Descend red-zone until it hits the double track, take the double track down a short way and take a right onto Rice Brook, follow that to the bridge. Climb the Double track across the bridge up to the maple grove. Take the Zoar connector until it hits TV Tower, take TV tower to the Summit. If you want, loop Lost back to Get Smart back to TV Tower back to the connector. This time take the right to continue down to Zoar on the connector and West End back to Town.

Now you can head over to Thunder and take the lift, or climb Poison Ivy to Wilderness to Silver Doe
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

USFS walked our trails today and is drafting up a laundry list of repairs that we need to make to ensure we are "in compliance". Maybe someday.

High spots were dry.

Low spots were not.

Microburst.

Friends were out for an evening drive.

Yesterday was the last day of school, today begins the season of 5+ rides / week.

Vietnam area was mostly dry, can't wait to do it again tomorrow!!!

Last edited by JayPowHound; 06-22-2017 at 07:33 PM.

I did a bit over 12 miles and almost 1900 feet of vertical gain (and loss) in nearly perfect conditions on super rocky trails this afternoon. I'm exhausted, my hands are wasted and it feels FKNA great

Sunday at 10 in Northfield we're gonna go out and party on the trails....I mean do some trail work. We will be finishing up some new trail as well as fix a spot or two on existing. If you've never been and want to get a tour of the growing network, come on by. Meeting at Norwich University Shaw Center. Bring a bud, tools if ya have 'em, food water and what-not.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Just got back in from NEMBA fest. I went for the day to demo bikes. The trails were in great shape and dried out all day.

Wish I'd known you were up. We were there too. What'd you demo?
    It's not tragic to die doing what you love.
    http://www.flickr.com/pearljam09/
    http://pearljam09.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by PearlJam09 View Post
    Wish I'd known you were up. We were there too. What'd you demo?
    I ran hot laps of the demo loop for 4 hours.

I rode the SC Hightower and Tallboy, Trek Fuel EX, and the Yeti sb4.5.

None blew back my hair enough to drop $5k at this point so I'm upgrading some parts on my current Tallboy 1.

My first day as a Vermonter was a humid and sweaty 13 miles and 2k of vert at STAB trails. Beers and PBJ sammies afterwards made it all better.

Off to Idaho tomorrow for a wedding in my GTI with a bike a top, TR to follow.

None blew back my hair enough to drop $5k at this point so I'm upgrading some parts on my current Tallboy 1.
    I tried the hightower with the plus wheels and a bronson. I was underwhelmed by the hightower, but really enjoyed the bronson. I would love to see how they would fare on the standard rooty/rocky CT trails as opposed to buff, flowy KT
    It's not tragic to die doing what you love.
    http://www.flickr.com/pearljam09/
    http://pearljam09.blogspot.com/

What did you think of the Sb4.5? I was somewhat in the same boat as you and just decided to rebuild my Ripley, but couldn't find a 4.5 to demo.

Second kid finally arrived last Monday (another little boy) and so looking forward to getting on the bike after the family clears out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    What did you think of the Sb4.5? I was somewhat in the same boat as you and just decided to rebuild my Ripley, but couldn't find a 4.5 to demo.

Second kid finally arrived last Monday (another little boy) and so looking forward to getting on the bike after the family clears out.
    Congrats man. I was planning on getting up early this morning before the kids got up for a ride but looks like the front is just hitting the Merrimack valley. Oh well best laid plans and all.