Mammoth season length

What are your guys' thoughts on the length of the mammoth ski season? I'm thinking it's gonna go at least to July 4th this year, but I'm not to sure how much past that with the rising temps. What do you guys think? Also what chair are open late like in June at mammoth?

Mtn ops already say they will be open until 7/4. One comment suggested they may go beyond invoking the "As long as you can ski down Broadway" rule. Unfortunately that rule is more of a guide line had has been ignored once 7/4 has arrived, at least in the last 15-20 years. This year may be different.

At the end of the season they typically run chairs 1 and 3, and alternate 23 and upper gondi. Other chairs are run dependent on conditions. 2, 5, 6 and 10 may run well into spring, but usually not summer, but this year could be different.

Operating hours change as well...7:30 to 2 or 3.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

It's not the season's length, it's what you do with it
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

powdork can talk like that.

I was just thinking of you, Court, when I saw this. It's the Invisble Gondola Traverse from June to Mammoth. Cool piece and footie from June boarder crew. Check it.

backstory...

http://snowboarding.transworld.net/p...6ZfWw6lHvpc.97

and congrats to you guys for just fukking killin it on tallac yesterday.

Heard they may go into august. In 2010/2011, the reopened for a couple weeks in august. Probably not a lot of mtn biking this season. I'm sure it's a fortune to remove the snow.

I am pretty sure they didn't reopen the mountain to skiing in August of '10 or '11. There has been a hint of it being open this year past July 4th, but I wouldn't count on it.

The rule of thumb is the mountain stays open as long as Broadway is skiable. That said for at least the last 15-20 years skiing was closed 7/4 or earlier. It has been a long, long time since it was open past that.

Perhaps somebody with a better memory the me can post when that was. I am guessing the 80s, but maybe early 90s?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I am pretty sure they didn't reopen the mountain to skiing in August of '10 or '11. There has been a hint of it being open this year past July 4th, but I wouldn't count on it.

The rule of thumb is the mountain stays open as long as Broadway is skiable. That said for at least the last 15-20 years skiing was closed 7/4 or earlier. It has been a long, long time since it was open past that.

Perhaps somebody with a better memory the me can post when that was. I am guessing the 80s, but maybe early 90s?
    I think it was around 2010 that there was skiing in August, though it was not open to the public. It was the US ski team if I believe. Very limited area they were using near Saddle Bowl for training.

Pretty sure it was 95 when Mammoth stayed open for skiing into Aug.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."