Worn/Loose FKS Heel

Pair of Rossi FKS (World Cup, Din goes to 15 does that make them FKS 15's?).... Anyhow, I noticed that I was getting a lot of play in one heel, both can move the boot heel up and down a little bit, thought this was normal but then one heel just got real sloppy. Was able to lift the heel much more than the other. Forward pressure issue? Also the plate that rotates has a lot of play. Replaceable part, adjustments or are they toast?

"Some folks may have the luxury to hold out for “the perfect.” But a lot of Americans are hurting right now and they can’t wait for that." - Hillary Clinton

By design, the white thing should move freely without sticking when you use your hand to move it backward and forward, and the white thing has a spring inside it which should be pushing the white thing with forward pressure against the black part that you are moving forward and backward in your video. But in your video, clearly that white thing is NOT moving as you move the other parts. In your video, the white thing is stationary in its rear-most position. So I think either the spring is not pushing the white thing forward, or else the white thing is sticky/stuck in the rear-most position, or both.

Try using your hand to move the white thing forward and backward a few times. If your white thing is just sticky, then maybe you can just move it back and forth until it starts to move freely again. Not sure how it would become sticky though, but maybe adding some lube would help to keep it from getting stuck again later.

If you get that white thing moving freely again, it should have a spring inside that returns it to its forward-most position whenever you are not forcing it to a back position. If your spring successfully pushes the white thing forward, and it is not sticky, then you have "fixed" it, so after that, just verify the binding is adjusted properly for your boot and then keep skiing.

On the other hand, if the white thing is not sticky AND it is not being pushed forward, then your spring is not doing its job. In that case, watch the video at , remove the 4 heel screws, take off the whole heel piece, remove the metal plate, and look at the heel's underside for a spring inside that white thing. If no spring there, then maybe you can order a new spring from Rossi or Look. If the spring is there, then assess it to figure out why that spring is not pushing the white thing forward. Like maybe your spring is slightly out of position? Or maybe some of the white plastic is broken off, in which case the spring has no plastic to push against? Or maybe small gravel rocks between the spring coils, which might lock up the spring? Or maybe the spring just got old and lost its "push"? I don't know.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

That's a great post VI.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    Not sure how it would become sticky though, but maybe adding some lube would help to keep it from getting stuck again later.
    Sometimes the original grease in those parts just gets so viscous and bound up with crud that it becomes like a paste.

You can clean that stuff up with some solvent and regrease. The spray can of white lithium grease is great for tracks and sliding stuff, as is the spray can of silicone for topside stuff like afds and the little swivels and pivots.

Thank you for the responses! When I get back home I'm going to check them out. I'll keep you posted.

Like others have said, check the spring under that white tab. if you care. That white thing does nothing for release function.
    And the ease of up-down movement is just the rivets breaking in.
    Your bindings are fine, go skiing.
    Last edited by gwat; 02-24-2017 at 12:09 PM.
    Do what you like, Like what you do.