Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks. Have you tried the 120 or 110 flex XTD yet? Do the lower flex boots have a more progressive flex?

What I'm looking for is a powder/travel boot and on paper the XTD looks like it could fit the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    Thanks. Have you tried the 120 or 110 flex XTD yet? Do the lower flex boots have a more progressive flex?
    I've only skied the 130. The 120 and 110 have PU cuffs with Grilamid shells (130 is Grilamid/Grilamid), so could have a more traditional feeling flex.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    How are the new langs? Fit any different and any improvements?
    I don't know whether the interior shell dimensions have changed or not, but the new RS feels roomier in the mid foot and over the instep, and has incredible ankle and heel hold (feel the inside of the liner on a pair, the liner is extremely contoured around the maleoli and could be uncomfortable for some but fit me like a glove). I have a slightly higher than average volume and quite wide foot, and wouldn't buy anything wider than the 97mm. Haven't skied the dual core version yet, but my old RS 130 skied pretty damn well - XavierD says the new one is better.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    How are the new langs? Fit any different and any improvements?
    Best damn boot I've ever skied. Likely part of why I didn't like the XTD.

XTD wasn't too stiff, just not near the smooth flex I expect from a crossover or resort boot. For a dedicated touring boot it's pretty awesom.

https://youtu.be/c9VDsesvYOo

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Only 2 places I’ve been frostbit. Bridget and big sky. I bought the pink heated langes back in the day as a direct result of life in Montana. Truly unnecessary in utah.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Need to pull the trigger...

ON3P Wrenegade.......108/189
    Dynastar X106...........106/188
    Blizzard Rustler 11......114/189
    Armada Invictis 108ti...108/188

Which One?
    ​I am not in your hurry

Wren.

No way will the Blizzards or Armadas stand up to as much abuse (rocks) as the ON3Ps. Can't speak to the build quality of the Dynastars.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Wren.
    no medal = Deflection? tractability?
    on the vine = lower pop/energy?

like all the dimensions - cept - wish the turn radius was closer to 20 than 30
    ​I am not in your hurry

Their build doesn't need metal to be damp, powerful, and stable. Bamboo/glass has a sweet blend of spring/pop without nervous vibration.

You want that long radius for arcing turns at 60mph down the huge groomers in the afternoon. They won't be hard to ski anywhere. Do it

Yup^

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post

Which One?
    I'm a big fan of the x106 but wouldn't grab it for Big Sky. I'd say it's more of a PNW swiss army knife, good for tight and technical terrain. I'll probably ski the 106 at Bridger.

I will be skiing on my LP105s at Big Sky unless it dumps. If I didn't have those I'd buy the ON3P Wren or the Inviticus 108. Probably would grab the ON3Ps because the bases are so durable and it would help identify me as a TGR cool guy.

Wren. I'll be on Goliaths unless it dumps, a lot.

Which One?
    Rustler 11 seems out of place. Cochise would be more comparable to the other skis on there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Rustler 11 seems out of place. Cochise would be more comparable to the other skis on there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Rustler Radius is 21 and I'm lovin that. Nothing else comes close... sooo, it won't ski comfortably flat at speed. radii is going to give it chops in tighter qtrs.
    Given my choices, I'd rather be closer to 110 under foot for this ski; offerings are narrow. I lean towards metal for the mettle of the ski. More likely to take it out in the EC. Would be nice to get comfortable with 108 as an EC DD. That's not happening; maybe last year. When the only option is to rail, it's just not as fun on wood/composite.

More likely to keep the ski in play and cap the quiver with a BG. I've smelled the koolaid and I haven't been on bamboo in so long. I just remember how pliable and even tempered the ski was from tip to tail. Elan
    ​I am not in your hurry

Why not just buy bandit man's q labs? https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=317785

Best Quiver Ski for Big Sky

Or mine?

FS: 190 Salomon Q-Lab w/ P14 or flat
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=317826

Rustler Radius is 21 and I'm lovin that. Nothing else comes close... sooo, it won't ski comfortably flat at speed. radii is going to give it chops in tighter qtrs.
    Given my choices, I'd rather be closer to 110 under foot for this ski; offerings are narrow. I lean towards metal for the mettle of the ski. More likely to take it out in the EC. Would be nice to get comfortable with 108 as an EC DD. That's not happening; maybe last year. When the only option is to rail, it's just not as fun on wood/composite.

More likely to keep the ski in play and cap the quiver with a BG. I've smelled the koolaid and I haven't been on bamboo in so long. I just remember how pliable and even tempered the ski was from tip to tail. Elan
    If you want 110-ish, metal and low-20 radius, why not Enforcer110 or Enforcer Pro?

Sent fra min F5321 via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Or mine?

FS: 190 Salomon Q-Lab w/ P14 or flat
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=317826
    Not overly confident about that ski's performance.

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...-salomon-q-lab

it was easy to over pressure and fold the shovels - from a skier who is 5'10"/175#
    Last edited by Gepeto; 02-01-2018 at 11:06 AM.
    ​I am not in your hurry

ON3P Wren or Kartel (if you want a smaller radius)
    Salomon QLab is a burly metal ski with smaller radius. I doubt the bases are as tough as ON3P though. I got a core shot on mine the first day out.

Eh, just get some wax into them.
    Worried about deflection? It's Big Sky. There's little to no wet cement or crud.
    I'm skiing Q Labs as my everyday ski. They are a handful, but would be a great Big Sky ski for all but the tightest spots. Just point and shoot. They don't seem to like to slash, though. I'll be seeing what they're like as a Big Sky ski this March for BBI.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

it was easy to over pressure and fold the shovels - from a skier who is 5'10"/175#
    I only have a handful of days on mine (183 - I'm 5'10" and 165lbs) but here's my experience. While these are a stiff metal ski, they have a more of a soft snow tip shape (along with honeycomb tips) and a more progressive mount than something like a Cochise (I bought these coming off a 185 Cochise). They also have a shorter turning radius and are much more engaging on groomers and at lower speeds. This unique combination makes for a very interesting and versatile ski. They are WAY better in powder than a Cochise, much more fun on groomers, quicker, and have like 90+% of the chargeability. The progressive mount point and softer shovels (relative to say the Cochise) means that you can't drive these as hard at mach speeds, but if you keep balanced and lighter on your feet these things still have a very high top speed IMO.

They are not a dedicated big mountain charger. They are a very versatile quiver killer all mountain ski that will keep you happy at high speed, in powder, on groomers, and blasting chop. I like them much more than my Cochise.

I can't comment on the 190 and the effect of being heavier. If you just want a charger grab the Wrens and call it a day.

Hey just a comment because I'm about your size, when some of these guys that aren't 200+ pounds are commenting about a medium or medium stiff flex you should be reading that as a relatively soft flex. So i would definitely bias towards the wrenegade and other stiffer skis on your list.

Is it still to late to plug the Devastator? I don't have a ton of time of big sky, but if your going to be skiing long fast run outs, or you know, just aggressively in general the Devastator would be great, they don't really have a top end speed limit, and with the progressive mount and reverse camber are super pivoty for trees and tight spots, and they can still handle fresh snow super well.

Although admittedly I'm a bit of a 4frnt whore and have been skiing my 196 Renegades pretty much everday this year at Bridger.

Best Quiver Ski for Big Sky

I think mount point has an effect on that. Early versions, like the one reviewed, was recommended about +2cm of the more recent skis. Mine are mounted at 856mm from the tail.

I’m 5’11 and have quite a few pounds on Jonathan. Maybe I ski slower, but I haven’t been in a position where I’ve been worried about the tips folding. I’ve had plenty of experience with that sensation. Maybe it’s a balance point, not a burliness issue.

That said, these are not specifically a charger ski, rather a quiver of one for a strong skier who likes to turn. The stiff tails will get you if you’re not on top of it and bail you out if you’re a bit back on a landing. It’s quite good in light/creamy pow, but I have better skis for pow.

I like these skis a lot for digging trenches in the spring and for smoothing out dust on crust.