Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tractor Beam on North Star Mountain

How ‘bout a little flower power?

It’s June in CO.

It’s a beautiful day. Don’t let it get away.

You, too.

I can’t sing, but I’ve got soul.

Sole?

Walk on.

That’s Tricky Alex. “Franz” of the “Hans and Franz” line on a certain hockey team. One of two Czech wingers that just plain kicks ass on the ice. But how would he do on something softer?

I normally wouldn’t ski something like this with someone whom I’ve never seen ski.

But before taking our first shift on skates, his lack of ego about time spent in Chamonix gave me a pretty good impression that no worries would be necessary. In fact, I found that he skis pretty. Very pretty.

Nice, now back to the beginning.

Two weeks ago, we were s’pos’da ski Tractor Bowl off Hoosier Pass. Lack of freezing temps overnight turned us away. Last week, rain was falling as we pulled in to the lot at Stephen C West Arena in Breck for the off-season, early am hockey scrimmage. Skiing cancelled. Played our first summer game the next night, won big, and hoped for next week.

Today, June 7.

After puck-time, things look good. We climb the mountain despite tired legs.

Under a sky playing the western blues. On the way up, an encounter with Miss Candy-hat herself had us wondering what synchronicities had played a hand here.

It’s been a long time since I did the stroll.

Long lost ski partner Mir was walking away from what she described as “perfect snow” on the “prettiest line” and wished us a good time. Oh, and by the way, “don’t mess up my tracks.” LOL.

That’s me, about to mess up her tracks. (cool little wet-slide to the left, fyi) While it was never our intent to add to her artwork, we did just that in the end. After searching to and fro, that line just looked the best. So we skied it, too.

And baby, baby, baby, do you like it?

Yeah.

And then there was the bonus vert. The additional 200’ or so of perfect corn dropping down to the lake. From where an easy walk (no uphill!) back to the car awaited. Mmmmm. Snowfields….

After that, our walk back brought us full circle to the place we started. To where the beer was buried in the snow, and back to the flower.

Yowser!

Great Stoke as always.
    The snow doesn't give a soft white damn whom it touches.
    ~ e.e. cummings

Thumbs up

I like the fact that it says 'Heli Skiing' on your Völkls but you're walking. Don't know why, it just really appealed to me.

Ah, the CO summer TRs...love em. Thanks for the great pics!

Mir looks STOKED she beat you to the goods...

Nice, Duph. I envy you.

Quote Originally Posted by duph
    Long lost ski partner Mir was walking away from what she described as “perfect snow” on the “prettiest line” and wished us a good time. Oh, and by the way, “don’t mess up my tracks.” LOL.
    You should have done figure eight's with Mir's tracks......
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw
    You should have done figure eight's with Mir's tracks......
    Fuck that. Dollarsigns!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster
    Fuck that. Dollarsigns!
    You rang?

if only all our prayers could be answered so easily Brett, truly a new brighter world you bring forth since thy resurection.......

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy
    if only all our prayers could be answered so easily Brett, truly a new brighter world you bring forth since thy resurection.......
    Glad you noticed. PM me for an address to send your tithe. THanks

I shall give to George W what is George W's,
    I sahll give to Brett what is Brett's

Quote Originally Posted by duph
    Oh, and by the way, “don’t mess up my tracks.” LOL.
    heheh

cool line, looks nice and smooth

Arrow

heh!
    thread bookmarked!

really sweet pics! and those were some sweet lines too!!!!

nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster
    Mir looks STOKED she beat you to the goods...

Nice, Duph. I envy you.
    You should - that's like five minutes from his house. Fun steep shot. Mike said it was 55 degrees, but we won't go there. Oh wait, I just did. Surely it's not that steep. Why do I not use the inclinometer that Halsted gave me? Incorrigable.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Z
    heheh

cool line, looks nice and smooth
    Such a sweet line. You should have seen me standing there trying to talk the guys out of skiing on my tracks. You know how goofy I am about that.

Nice TR, Matt. Like that new camera for sure.

edit - hey LemonBoy, I've had a glance at the good threads/discussion you're putting up. Just no time to study on it and make a good answer yet. Hopefully tomorrow.
    Last edited by SheRa; 06-09-2005 at 06:17 AM.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Nice TR, you guys look alike.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Ireallyliketoski
    Nice TR, you guys look alike.
    Um, my nose is much nicer.
    Henry David Thoreau

Thumbs up

Very well done TR! Great composition on those pictures. Good work!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by SheRa
    Surely it's not that steep. Why do I not use the inclinometer that Halsted gave me? Incorrigable.
    D'OH!

I'm sure its buried somewhere in your backcountry kit.

Awesome pics...I'm now officially pumped for the weekend!!

D'OH!

I'm sure its buried somewhere in your backcountry kit.
    It's in a front pocket and I'm even starting to carry reading glasses. I'm gonna make some comments in the light/fast thread here at some point about that. I REALLY want to use the inclinometer to train my eye. I had an altimeter on my watch for a long time that I used obsessively and now I feel pretty confident about estimating vert. Want the same thing with slope angles - just need to make a habit of it. I read every single word of the instructions (you've got some typos ) and I've also shown a couple of other people how to use it. Cool little gizmo.

Hey are you going to ski this summer? I'm off Tues/Weds...
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by SheRa
    It's in a front pocket and I'm even starting to carry reading glasses. I'm gonna make some comments in the light/fast thread here at some point about that. I REALLY want to use the inclinometer to train my eye. I had an altimeter on my watch for a long time that I used obsessively and now I feel pretty confident about estimating vert. Want the same thing with slope angles - just need to make a habit of it. I read every single word of the instructions (you've got some typos ) and I've also shown a couple of other people how to use it. Cool little gizmo.

Hey are you going to ski this summer? I'm off Tues/Weds...
    Yes, I have been skiing this summer.

Got some special stuff going on. Lots to get done in the next week. And some fun private skiing coming up. Also have KW's retirement party Saturday. Very busy, sorry.

Typos?! Send me an email, with what you have.

Cheers,
    Halsted

Yes, I have been skiing this summer.

Got some special stuff going on. Lots to get done in the next week. And some fun private skiing coming up. Also have KW's retirement party Saturday. Very busy, sorry.

Typos?! Send me an email, with what you have.

Cheers,
    Halsted
    That's fine, Halsted. I am very pleased to hear that you're getting after it. Nothing better in life than a day outside in the mountains.

Let me know when you have some time though - we should get out once this summer and before it's five miles walk to the snow.

I'll get back to you asap with the typos...
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot
    Bump for a good TR and pics and for the fact that this is the only thread this morning for which J Rad does not have the last word.
    Jeez, I miss all the drama. What happened and who is J Rad? Search says it's too short.

Halsted, I emailed you some schtuff...
    Henry David Thoreau