Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Recently re-installing crank bolt, using click-type torque wrench to try and get a super low value of 1.2Nm...well apparently the wrench doesn't work that low in the range and I stripped out the allen key hole.

Luckily $5 for a new cap, but had to use a left hand bit extractor to get the old one out...was worried it would be stuck in there it was way too tight.

All worked out tho - up and running...this time with a beam style torque wrench and knowing the bolt can't take much...

What do you guys know about the difference between fork oil vs fork fluid?

I've been fixing up an old beater DH bike, and just read did the oil on a Boxxer with an Avalanche open bath damper.
    Used 5WT fork oil, but on closer reading on the Avalanche website, they specify that the fork needs to have 5WT (85/125) Fork FLUID, which apparently is completely different.
    Any insight would be wicked helpful. Otherwise crazy failure TR to come this weekend
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    What do you guys know about the difference between fork oil vs fork fluid?
    I don't think there's any difference other than labeling.

I've always used motorcycle branded fork oil, since it's a lot cheaper than bicycle branded oil, and seems identical. Maxima, Honda, Motorex, whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Last fall, I was swapping on a new cassette. I was absent-mindlessly playing with the lock ring while I had the cassette removed - and, possessed by some demonic spirit, I suppose - I cranked it on, nice and tight. Without a cassette for the chain whip to grip, I fumbled embarrassingly with it for a solid half hour or more before I went to the lbs and explained that I am apparently a moron.

Recently one of my pistons started sticking. I took the wheel off, pulled the pads and squeezed the brakes gently, cleaned what I could and then got greedy thinking I could push it just a little further to really get it clean. Next thing I know it's on the floor and brake fluid is leaking out everywhere.
    It sucks to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinSki View Post
    Recently one of my pistons started sticking. I took the wheel off, pulled the pads and squeezed the brakes gently, cleaned what I could and then got greedy thinking I could push it just a little further to really get it clean. Next thing I know it's on the floor and brake fluid is leaking out everywhere.
    I just did this ................. a couple times!!!!
    Been bleeding all the household brakes and the DH bikes had some sticky pistons. So lots of pushing pistons in, pumping levers, try to block one pair of pistons and get the other to move, finally getting to where they all seem to be moving nicely and then get greedy pumping the lever. Piston pops out. Have done this on 2 out of 4 calipers so far!!!
    The thing is, despite having thought I had bled them enough to get nice pink fluid, when the piston pops out, a bunch more dark fluid comes out with it. Starting to wonder if anyone has actually taken to purposefully popping out pistons to really clean the fuck out of a caliper. Maybe once a year?

For those of us that haven't (yet?), how hard was it to put them back?

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    For those of us that haven't (yet?), how hard was it to put them back?
    It's way way less terrifying or complicated than you think it'll be. Literally just line it up with the hole and push it back in. I used the flat mid section of the 7mm spanner to keep it even.

Years ago I mitered the wrong end of a seat tube, brazed it into the BB shell, didn't realize my goof up until I tried to ream the ST

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    It's way way less terrifying or complicated than you think it'll be. Literally just line it up with the hole and push it back in.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Not wrenching, but I’m at about 70% for putting my shoes on before remembering to pull on my knee pads

(Looking for a different old thread and found this one)

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I once put a ceiling fan 95% together only to find the last of 4 light bulb cups broken. Took it apart, took it back to exchange it. Got hone. Put the new one together, had it seemingly 100% done then noticed the fucking collar was still sitting on the floor. DOH!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Once I was working on a customer’s 1928 tandem. (My first shop job in the 80’s). I have no idea why they wanted the steer tube shortened, but shorten it I did...too short to thread the headset back on.
    Whoops.
    I got fired a week later.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Only tack welding this sock rocker mount then forgetting to go back and hit it with a full weld. Broke the frame on it's first ride.