Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I really was leaning toward Snowmass for first day just for convenience and the fact I can walk out my door (I've actually never stayed right at a resort big deal for my cheap ass haha). Is snowmass still fun for an expert skier? I figured the place looks pretty big so maybe it has good crowd management in case that's an issue, which most ppl are saying it won't be...

Also, for the day I do Highlands...can I take bus from Snowmass village to Highlands really early (I don't do that show up at 9/10am shit)? I see it's $24 to park on a holiday. Fuck that! What's the route? Snowmass to roundabout to transfer to Highlands (I was looking at RFTA site).

Quote Originally Posted by ADKmike View Post
    I really was leaning toward Snowmass for first day just for convenience and the fact I can walk out my door (I've actually never stayed right at a resort big deal for my cheap ass haha). Is snowmass still fun for an expert skier? I figured the place looks pretty big so maybe it has good crowd management in case that's an issue, which most ppl are saying it won't be...

Also, for the day I do Highlands...can I take bus from Snowmass village to Highlands really early (I don't do that show up at 9/10am shit)? I see it's $24 to park on a holiday. Fuck that! What's the route? Snowmass to roundabout to transfer to Highlands (I was looking at RFTA site).
    the upper sections can be awesome. conditions now aren't the best but hanging valley & cirque are still really fun right now. Snowmass is very much a "lets cruise groomers while the kids are in ski school" mountain. There is really never an issue with crowds here except for some sections on Aspen IMO.

take an aspen direct bus from the snowmass mall, get off at roundabout. Highlands bus (castle maroon) coming from aspen stops there a few min after you'll be dropped off. parking garage at highlands is tiny, 4 or more in car and its free though.

Snowmass had plenty of expert terrain and fun skiing, it's just a bit slower to lap compared to Highlands/Aspen Mountain. Yes, it's YUUDGE; you wont see many people, except at the base of the chairs. Probably ideal to start there and keep it simple.

For Highlands, there are direct SMV-Highlands buses, but they're only at 9/10am - https://www.rfta.com/routes/4-mountain-connector/ As you saw on RFTA's site, there are bus connections options. A) a bus from SMV to the roundabout and catching a bus up to Highlands. B) A bus from SMV to Buttermilk (or drive to Buttermilk; free parking) and catching the 15pass vans that SkiCo runs from the Buttermilk parking lot directly to Highlands. Those start running at 7am, every 15min - https://www.aspensnowmass.com/our-mo...re-and-parking

Snow's coming more Sunday/Monday-ish. Wait for the cat if you're questioning your ladie's ability/desire for the Bowl. It will help the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Scientist View Post
    Snow's coming more Sunday/Monday-ish.
    Good to hear - I had checked weather this week and said, shit, looks warm. Guess it's been kinda freeze thaw out there? Sunday night snow would be ideal, as it won't impact my travel from Denver and be right on time. Hoping we don't get skunked weather wise next week and the cold returns. Had a couple west trips get skunked past few years....

I went to Snowmass for the first time last year for a few days. IMO one of the best mountains I have skied. Has the whole package - some steeps to get the blood pumping, lots of tree skiing to be had from intermediate to expert, lots of long runs, great groomers, good lifts, low skier density. We went there for the specific reason to get away from the Vail/Breck crowd closer to Denver. I will be surprised if you don't have a good time there. To be honest - it is probably my favorite mountain I have hit based on the variety, my whole family can ski together, decent tree skiing right next to trails, skier density. Call me crazy but I like better than Aspen, Highlands, Vail, Breck, Snowbird, Alta, Squaw, and a bunch of European resorts. Yeah - some of those places can do certain things well....steeps, close to airport, amount of snow, bowl skiing, off-piste, grooming, etc.....but I think if you add in totality what makes a great mountain, Snowmass does a lot of things quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by ADKmike View Post

Did you find an affordable bed at the base of Snowmass? I may be there in a month or so.

GWS:

Ironwood for sure. Great vibe, great pools, on the river, pic your temp. Can't beat it.

Slope & Hatch, you'll thank me later. Along with Polanka. Also, thank me later.

Near Aspen, hit the Woody Creek Tavern. HST. If you're into the vibe I smell, yep.

Can't talk for Aspen proper, but that will get you going.

Want a small "natural adventure", check out South Canyon Springs or the hippy dips.

-Yours Truly.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Did you find an affordable bed at the base of Snowmass? I may be there in a month or so.
    The snowmass Inn is about as cheap as you'll find hotel wise

Red Onion for drinks and/or dinner. A few years ago my 75 yr old dad and I got a cheap room at Snowmass. Took the bus to Aspen and planned for a steak at the Chart House I think it was called. Damn place had been turned into condos since the last time I was there.

We wandered and found the Red Onion was open again. Stood in line for a table and eventually said f it and did dinner at the bar. A few people were playing the bar trivia TV game with the consoles. A guy sitting next to me was playing and doing horrible. I started giving him shot and helping answer questions. Got to talking and when he bought drinks wondered why his wallet was like George Costanzas about 3" thick. He had a wad I cash that could choke a horse.

Turns out he's the Domino's delivery dude with ones from tips. Anyway dad and I get a console and join the game. It's a nationwide game with stats. The Red Onion shows up in the scores. Pretty fun and all while drinking heavily. Soon dad and I are starting to win and moving up the ranks in the bar and nationally. The pizza guy is still asking for answers but getting slightly wrong advice now that we're playing. He didn't catch on right away while everyone did. Good times.

Into the top 20. The bartender says he'll buy drinks for anyone getting into the top 10. As if anyone there would do that. Eventually we're around 15th. 12th. Then answer another question and the game goes into their commercials. Ended up 11th in the country. Was a fun night shooting the shot with dirtbag Aspen locals.

Anyway hit the place up. One of the authentic classic Aspen bars. Little Annie's is on the short list also if they're still open.

And Krabloonik on the other side of Snowmass for a rustic wild game dinner. It's a dog sled kennel with a restaurant. A little pricy but worth it at least once.

Colorado Trip Advice

Snowmass: if you get snow, try to lap Sheer Bliss lift, wife can rock down groomers while you drop int EX terrain off skiers right. Look for the gates to Gowdys, KT Gulley, and Rock Island. Meet back at Sheer Bliss and repeat.
    Or she can head down blues off of Big Burn, you duck into Sneakeys Tress and Powerline Glades. Meet back at Big Burn Lift.

On the other side of the mountain, she can lap blues at Elk Camp, you hike and drop Rio.... my wife can get three laps to my one, you'll have to take the two creeks lift and meet at the Elk Camp lift. The snow still had soft spots on Rio/A line. Long shot is OK... but lots of ice/scraped off places lower. Trees to skiers left still has some softish places.

If looking for reasonable hot spring, Penny Hot springs near Redstone is free, and a cool vibe. Although Avalanche Ranch is the paid version right across the street. Both a little out of the way but worth it. Route 133 out of Carbondale gets you there. If at Avalanche Ranch say hi to Eric.

Apres, right now Meat and Cheese has a really Aspen Vibe with a good mix of locals and uber wealthy mixing. Also might still have Bells Hopslam on tap if they haven't run out.

Thanks for all the info everyone! Hoping some snow rolls thru...on my way out there now

It never rains in Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by winecabin View Post
    I've lived in Snowmass for a while and have never heard of that place. Snowmass is a tiny town too...
    It closed like 6 years ago
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Butches was good. I thought he was trying to open up something in Basalt?

Ahem. Sunlight vs Abasin? Please.
    Wake up early for parking. Sorry about the lines.
    The visuals alone are worth the parking hassle on a Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Butches was good. I thought he was trying to open up something in Basalt?
    He had his food shack there for a few summers. Then politics and utilities got in the way.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.