Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    I agree on the site slowly dying but I really enjoyed that Jerry Johnson piece last month. There would be a lot of potential space for discussing the state of the industry (instaclowns, the ethical impact of the massification of skitouring etc.) but obviously whenever a source of media (website, magazine-in italy we have skialper- etc.) heavily relies on help from gear manufacturers you know the time is almost up.

I guess that joke Mccfetridge cracked during his blister podcast is true, Blister is really on the verge of destroying competitors and remaining the "last one standing" (semiquote)

I agree on the site slowly dying but I really enjoyed that Jerry Johnson piece last month. There would be a lot of potential space for discussing the state of the industry (instaclowns, the ethical impact of the massification of skitouring etc.)

I call them ‘adventure clones’ you know, young thirty something, wide eyed, stoke off the hook, brand new everything flatland suburbanites. They’ve become a plague upon the land.

The Wildsnow gear reviews could be decent, although I often found them a bit longer than I needed. A lot of extra information could be found in the comments, and I enjoyed taking part in that. But the real awesome part of Wildsnow, in my opinion, were the stories and trip reports. Hopefully it will survive.

I immediately noticed a difference when LD sold to CCB. It felt like less of a critical review and helpful (albeit biased) info and more like an infomercial. I haven't really read much on WS for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I forget what it was but jason e-mailed to complain about the tone of a pretty innocuous comment ( no swearing nothing about anyone's mom, perhaps some sarcasm ) i made so i told him it was his site so just delete if he didn't like it and so he did

I had the exact same thing. That’s cool with me. My comment was not intended to be mean, but (maybe) came off that way (I’m a lousy writer).

He called me out on it, I checked myself in future. I much prefer that to having it devolve into nastiness, or just some auto blocking feature. Basically, normal human stuff.

I would like to be optimistic about the future of the site, and not assume the worst before we have even seen anything, but Jason resigning doesn’t bode well.

good read Bob
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

The "Editors" of Wildsnow released their first new article. An "interview" with the designer of the Scorpius 2 that didn't explain anything and was straight marketing. And was sponsored by La Sportiva. Then WS deleted the critical comments about how shitty of an article it was. Adios Wildsnow, you had a damn good run.

why acquire it to run it into the ground with stupid puff pieces? lame
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

To save anyone from giving them page views they don't deserve, th second article under the new management is "GET YOURS NOW: THE 2023-2024 IKON PASS IS HERE"

Comments are also conspicuously not allowed.

It has really been an incredible example of how to run a publication into the ground

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    To save anyone from giving them page views they don't deserve, th second article under the new management is "GET YOURS NOW: THE 2023-2024 IKON PASS IS HERE"

Comments are also conspicuously not allowed.

It has really been an incredible example of how to run a publication into the ground
    Thought this was a joke but it isn’t. Big sad. RIP Wildsnow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poor Lou. His mom recently passed away, and it can't be easy seeing something you put your heart and soul into for years turn into crap.

^^^
    That’s like selling the farm to a developer and being sad they built houses on it.

Hopefully Lou got some good coin out of the deal, I click on it from time to time but not much to see there
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Poor Lou. His mom recently passed away, and it can't be easy seeing something you put your heart and soul into for years turn into crap.
    My thoughts as well. WS used to be a daily click but not any more.

Agreed, that it's always been a commercial site, but the balance has shifted from being information rich to blatant marketing with no added value.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    My understanding was that Lou sold Wildsnow to Doug and Randy from Cripple Creek BC several years ago, and Lou hasn't been running the site for a long time.

yes

So many comments regarding Wildsnow have been posted here - I wonder if the new owners took notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    My understanding was that Lou sold Wildsnow to Doug and Randy from Cripple Creek BC several years ago, and Lou hasn't been running the site for a long time.
    Totally. But still, if you built a house and sold it and then drove by it a few years later to discover it became a crack house, you'd be bummed.

Wild snow was Lou Dawson " Wild Snow " was what he told you or could tell you and now it's over but the info as in anything Lou ever wrote is all there in "resources"

the new owners are probaby wondering what they bought, don't have anything to add cuz they can't do it and other than the money they spent don't care cuz they are not Lou Dawson

I think lou dawson is well into retirement age ??

Personaly I've alway been too busy counting the money to care what happened to something i sold and imagine Lou is same ... its all about the money
    Last edited by XXX-er; 04-02-2023 at 12:34 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Personaly I've alway been too busy counting the money to care what happened to something i sold and imagine lou is same, its all about th emoney
    I find it strange that people here are feeling bad for Lou that his site has been trashed. He got paid! If he cared he could start another site. I feel bad for the backcountry ski community who lost the only half decent site besides this one.

thepowdercloud.com is the best I have found. Not the frequency of the old wildsnow, but quality.

Try also theavalanchereview.org. We just hired a new person to manage it, so should be updated more frequently.

theavalanchereview.org

Wow, love the paper edition but never checked it out online. Thanks for that, HMS!

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    The "Editors" of Wildsnow released their first new article. An "interview" with the designer of the Scorpius 2 that didn't explain anything and was straight marketing. And was sponsored by La Sportiva. Then WS deleted the critical comments about how shitty of an article it was. Adios Wildsnow, you had a damn good run.
    straight fukn embarrassing, all marketing mumbo-jumbo with no comments allowed.

and they’ll get traffic