Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Wildsnow, any good alternatives?

Mad props to Lou for being the 1st but seems like he has jumped the shark in the last few years. He is against what he likes to call mechanized/industrial skiing but his pissed off about wilderness area's in Utah cause people can't 4x4 in them or when someone disturbs his stash with a snowmobile. He supports some ahole getting the backside of Telluride through the effed up, antiquated mining laws but as soon as some rich land baron in his back yard pulls a similar stunt he gets all fired up, "Not in my backyard" kinda thing. Now he's all pissed at Yvon for pulling out of OR over the Utah political establishments land policies. Seems really weird for a guy who's livelihood depends on people utilizing public lands.

Anyways, are there any good alternatives out there? Rather not help the guy generate any revenue through my clicks. Earn your turns site is great if you happen to catch it when they put up something new but having that same post up as your one and only post for a couple of years gets a little old.

Plus hearing about how his 100 gram ballet slippers attached to his 200 gram paper mache skis via 10 grams of scotch tape is a little on the heavy side gets kinda ridiculous.

I miss Steve Romeo's blog.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I miss Steve Romeo's blog.
    Yep

buddy also thinks the E-bicycle is where its at and where we should all be, he seems unwilling or incapable of product testing a 2 piece ski pole, or a whole lot of gear that many of us are interested in knowing about
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    Yep
    double yep

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    buddy also thinks the E-bicycle is where its at and where we should all be, he seems unwilling or incapable of product testing a 2 piece ski pole, or a whole lot of gear that many of us are interested in knowing about
    yet the industry loves him and he gets 1st dibs on testing a lot of the new gear.

Quote Originally Posted by skiitsbetter View Post
    Looks like we might have a winner! Thanks for the info

Yeah that recent post was pretty fucking dumb. I hope he is able to realize that.

Lou hasn't changed since the rec.skiing.backcountry days, he's pretty much always been the libertarian curmudgeon, of course with a healthy shot of NIMBY when it suits him. Seems nice enough otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    he seems unwilling or incapable of product testing a 2 piece ski pole
    he really can't stand an extendable pole can he....sounds like some latent issues there

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    found it. tx
    F-R-O-double-G

So stop clicking on the ads. And take what you can use from the site and ignore what you don't like. Or can your sensitive psyche not tolerate being exposed to anything you don't agree with. Christ, if we only paid attention to people we agree with we'd all be living in caves by ourselves and the human race would die. Which wouldn't be bad actually.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    So stop clicking on the ads. And take what you can use from the site and ignore what you don't like. Or can your sensitive psyche not tolerate being exposed to anything you don't agree with. Christ, if we only paid attention to people we agree with we'd all be living in caves by ourselves and the human race would die. Which wouldn't be bad actually.
    Mr. President! We cannot afford a MINE SHAFT GAP!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    Mr. President! We cannot afford a MINE SHAFT GAP!!!!
    I dated a woman who didn't realize that was a comedy. The relationship didn't last. Although considering that when I was in grade school they were handing out brochures about how to build a fall out shelter that we were supposed to give them to our fathers, and hiding in the basement was supposed to protect us from nuclear attack--maybe the movie was a documentary more than a comedy.

I dated a woman who didn't realize that was a comedy. The relationship didn't last. Although considering that when I was in grade school they were handing out brochures about how to build a fall out shelter that we were supposed to give them to our fathers, and hiding in the basement was supposed to protect us from nuclear attack--maybe the movie was a documentary more than a comedy.
    You wanted to deny her your purity of essence.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

i don't look at the internet much anymore, but when i do, that is fucking awesome.

Check out 'Atomic Cafe' if you haven't seen it. Chilling.

Remember, if a boot weighs more than 1500 grams it's simply not for touring...

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Remember, if a boot weighs more than 1500 grams it's simply not for touring...
    if you want to read about 2kg "touring" boots, frame bindings, adjustable poles, there's plenty of that in Backountry/Ski/Skiing Magazine. Some of us like to do more than one lap, even if it means we can't stomp that "gnarly" cliff.

Lou does often come across as a clueless cranky old meadow skipper, but he's the only one I'm aware of that's producing regular relevant content. There's plenty of more informed and interesting perspectives to be found, but dispersed amongst dozens of sites. If someone could find a way to make it worth their while (gotta give Lou credit for making it pay), a skiing specific content aggregator would be awesome.

Meadow skipper? Nah. If Lou were a meadow skipper he wouldn't summarily dismiss fat fishscales. AFAICT he's all about skinning up, ripping skins, then skiing down. His site is good and bad. Lou has lots of good technical info re tech bindings, boot, etc.

There's oodles of good info out there. Search

Quote Originally Posted by skiitsbetter View Post
    if you want to read about 2kg "touring" boots, frame bindings, adjustable poles, there's plenty of that in Backountry/Ski/Skiing Magazine. Some of us like to do more than one lap, even if it means we can't stomp that "gnarly" cliff.
    Fine with that. I'm on kingpins and my boots weigh 1750 grams (the horror!!), so I'm somewhere in the middle of the two extremes. Point is, there's a wide range of options and needs and the snobby bullshit with regards to weight is tiring. Having said that, I'll never use a frame binding in the BC again but they're still great if you only have one setup for BC and resort.

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    Meadow skipper? Nah. If Lou were a meadow skipper he wouldn't summarily dismiss fat fishscales. AFAICT he's all about skinning up, ripping skins, then skiing down. His site is good and bad. Lou has lots of good technical info re tech bindings, boot, etc.

There's oodles of good info out there. Search
    According to his bio, he "was the first person in history to ski down all 54 Colorado 14,000 ft peaks". So I'd say not just a meadow skipper.