Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Anyone at -2.5 wish they were back further? I drilled mine at -3.25 and like them there just fine, but am about to install inserts and wonder if I should leave them there, or move forward to say -2.75.
    Skied my 105’s 185 for first today at -2.7 (skiied my 310 resort boots mounted for 306 touring boots at -2.5). Felt great. Would go back not forwards. -3 ish is money I think. Just ordered some 302 bsl zgtp so might remount further back.

^ Nice, was at -3.25 with Cochise last season. Now have ZGTP, which is 2mm shorter from toe sockets to midsole line, so right about -3. With the ZGTP in the quiver, doubt I'll ski them with the Cochise any more.

Didn't realize the 105 line is way forward too. Did they have Armada or 4FRNT's pro's choose where to put the line or what.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    ^ Nice, was at -3.25 with Cochise last season. Now have ZGTP, which is 2mm shorter from toe sockets to midsole line, so right about -3. With the ZGTP in the quiver, doubt I'll ski them with the Cochise any more.

Didn't realize the 105 line is way forward too. Did they have Armada or 4FRNT's pro's choose where to put the line or what.
    Yeah it’s very odd. I’d kind of expect BD to be more traditional. Especially as no one wants huge long tail for touring.

I have some 18/19 186 Helio 116s mounted on the line. Scarpa Maestrale RS2 boot. About 8 days so far, all pow, including some ridiculously deep days here in Tahoe.

I haven't had any issues with them mounted there, but I'm only 5'10" 175 lbs. I typically ski touring skis more in the 180 range. My inbounds pow skis are 186. I could definitely see going a cm or 2 back if you're bigger. I find the float to be fine and didn't want to lose too much quickness so I think I'll stay on the line for the time being.

I measured the BC line at - 9 cm from true center, so it's not that much of a new-school mount.

Had my helio 105 185 at -2.5. Hated them. Remount at -4.5. Skied the resort today and much more balanced. No 3D snow yet but i can now ski on the front of my boots instead of having to drive the ski through my heel. I actually think -4 would be perfect. But I’m happy where I’m at.

In case anyone was wondering, the 2020 176 Helio 116 is 1,590g. When centered on top of the 2017/2018 186 length, the line on the 2020 176 is 5mm further forward.

Just picked up a pair of helio recon 105s at the Black Diamond outlet in Lehi for cheap (good deals there). Read this whole thread for mount location help because the recommended line on the helios is way forward of my other skis. So I went 81cm from the tail, which is about -3cm from the BC line on the 185s. I think this will work for me after skiing them at the resort, although I could probably go a bit further back. Feel nice and balanced on the groomers. They ski powder well the way I like to, which is driving the front of the boots. Nice ski so far, and I went with the recon instead of the helio carbon version because I generally don't like carbon skis and prefer damper constructions. They are a bit heavier than the carbon, but with vipecs, a reasonably light setup that skis pretty well, which is my priority.

STP briefly had the 116s and snagged a pair in 186. Was planing on using them with atk trofeos as ultralight powder skis but they weight in at 7 lbs 10 oz/ 3450g in the plastic or a few ounces heavier per ski then the old version. According to blister I guess they added some rubber to help with damping. Anyone skied them and think this change is worth the weight? Or did they just dumb down a light touring ski to make it ski better in inbounds ski reviews?

The white/green 186 pair I had was 1,630g each. Downsized to the new black 176, and they're 1,600g each.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan b View Post
    STP briefly had the 116s and snagged a pair in 186. Was planing on using them with atk trofeos as ultralight powder skis but they weight in at 7 lbs 10 oz/ 3450g in the plastic or a few ounces heavier per ski then the old version. According to blister I guess they added some rubber to help with damping. Anyone skied them and think this change is worth the weight? Or did they just dumb down a light touring ski to make it ski better in inbounds ski reviews?
    Wouldn't think the 100 extra grams would make that much of a diff uphill.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan b View Post
    What color are yours? Which year, 19/20's?
    He who has the most fun wins!

Mine (the 3450g ones) are the current top sheet...mostly grey/black with a small green bar and white tails.

I stuck trofeo+'s on them to keep the weight down. Fun skis, I haven't got as much time as i'd like on them due to global pandemics but found them to be pretty stable. More at home going fast in the wide open spaces then tight trees coming from synapse 109s.

Recommendations on where to mount a 176 116 and/or 105 for someone who is 5'8" 165lbs? I've just picked up some of the 19/20 116s and am going to get some 105s this summer replace my Ravens.

The 116 looks like it might be good on the line for someone my height. Or maybe 1cm back. I don't have the 105 in hand yet but any input would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ghost- View Post
    Recommendations on where to mount a 176 116 and/or 105 for someone who is 5'8" 165lbs? I've just picked up some of the 19/20 116s and am going to get some 105s this summer replace my Ravens.

The 116 looks like it might be good on the line for someone my height. Or maybe 1cm back. I don't have the 105 in hand yet but any input would be appreciated.
    Depends on how you want to ski them I guess. I'm just a little lighter than you but 5'11" and I definitely liked having more length and and a more reward mount on my 116's since it'd rather never have tip dive. I did though demo them at the 176 length and with the demo binding I'm guessing I was around -1ish. It wasn't a powder day but I got along alright with them. Enough to make me want to buy some :P

Anyone skiing the 116's with lighter boots? I've been skiing 182 flex 3 UL GPO's with my Scarpa F1's and it's a good match. I've been thinking about going (a bit) lighter and longer to compliment the Protests I can't stop skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Anyone skiing the 116's with lighter boots? I've been skiing 182 flex 3 UL GPO's with my Scarpa F1's and it's a good match. I've been thinking about going (a bit) lighter and longer to compliment the Protests I can't stop skiing.
    I've ski'd them with first gen Atomic Backland Carbons in CA, OR, and CO. The limitations of that boot don't feel any more magnified with my 116 Helios @186 than they do with my Findr 86's @ 178 or Dynafit Stokes @ 172 (they all have a pretty close effective edge length between all those lengths).

Anyone try the new 115's yet and maybe compare to the 116? Looks like they just reduced the tip taper a little but no idea of any other changes...like mount point, core construction, rocker/camber profile....

Just picked up a used pair of 17/18 Helio 116s. They're a little beat up but the price was right. They have definitely been used a lot, inbounds and out. There is basically no camber left on these skis, is this a problem if I'm only using them in soft snow? I have smaller skis for when I need edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Just picked up a used pair of 17/18 Helio 116s. They're a little beat up but the price was right. They have definitely been used a lot, inbounds and out. There is basically no camber left on these skis, is this a problem if I'm only using them in soft snow? I have smaller skis for when I need edges.
    I have a beat up pair of Heli0 105's that also have no camber and honestly I don't think I miss it.

Ok- 186cm Helio 116 skiers, mount point check in.

I bought a pair of GS and the mount as-is has me at +.5cm (from the BC/0 line). This is I believe 2nd gen, so blk/wht with green accent box around “Helio 116”.

I heard that factory marks differed a bit from 1st gen tricolor to 2nd blk/wht. So everyone’s consensus on -2 to -3 cm may not be apples to apples the same on 2nd gen. Can folks confirm or deny this difference?

By eye, my 287mm TLT6s look good around -1.5cm. Which will give me at least 2cm on clearance, although these weren’t mounted for 287 so I’ll need to see once I get the binding off and the jig on. Feeling like this light build should have 2cm if possible between mounts.

Basically, just trying to get a sense for those with the blk/wht top sheet 116s in 186 if you’ve felt like the full -2 to -3 statements hold true from 1st gen reviews.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rangerjake View Post
    Ok- 186cm Helio 116 skiers, mount point check in.

I bought a pair of GS and the mount as-is has me at +.5cm (from the BC/0 line). This is I believe 2nd gen, so blk/wht with green accent box around “Helio 116”.

I heard that factory marks differed a bit from 1st gen tricolor to 2nd blk/wht. So everyone’s consensus on -2 to -3 cm may not be apples to apples the same on 2nd gen. Can folks confirm or deny this difference?

Got a 1st gen 186 to measure against my 2nd gen 186s. At least on these the BC/0 mark is the exact same (840mm, straight pull from tail-not skin notch).

So there’s the answer to the question I posed. For posterity

I'm about to mount a pair of 176 116's(last years model) at 28mm back from BC.
    I had a pair of 175 105's that I recall mounting on the line and liked them, but I don't have them on hand to compare mount locations across skis.
    Reason I'm planning on -28mm is I set the boot on BC and it looked very forward, especially compared to a pair of Hagan Boost 94 I am enjoying skiing. That's still a bit forward of the Hagan's.
    I'm wicked light though(125# without boots, etc), so maybe I'm fine a bit closer to the line?

Nobody's been on the 115??? Inquiring minds want to know

Bump, anyone skied the new 115s yet??

another bump for reviews of the 115s...