Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    ^ Was on alpine gear this weekend, sorry man.

Understandable.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Bump... Any more thoughts on going 2-3 cm back from the BC line? Some of you are pretty close to me in height and weight, sounds like you're happy going back some. Supposed to get some decent snow in central CO tonight, so I'm probably going to move mine back 2-3 cm from BC, just hoping to hear a little more first hand experience.
    Sawatch is French for scratchy.

I skewed my mount for two different BSL's, but if I were mounting again for just one boot I'd probably go -2.5cm or -2.75. My larger boot puts me at -3.25, and it was fine but felt like it wouldn't hurt to be a smidge further forward.

Thanks 1000-oaks. My plan is also to average the location for two BSL's, shooting for -2.5 for the main boot. Thanks for all the info. and opinions everyone!

I ended up -1.5. Skied the other day, but not enough runs (short morning exercise tour) to really give much feedback. Felt good, but too hard to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Got to try the Helio 105's re-mounted at -2.5 today with 4" at the ski area. Not the dumpage I was hoping to test them out in, but I like them waaay better than on the BC line. The skis initiate and release out of a turn much more easily. I think they will be much better in deep pow. They still ski groomers well, and still have plenty of tail. I don't feel like they want to throw me over the bars anymore, much easier to stay balanced and on the sweet spot. -3 would probably be just fine too. Can't believe I suffered through last season trying really hard to love this ski. I have always liked them, but couldn't fully click with them. Now they are great! I'm 6'1", 170, 322mm BSL, like to ski fast but not a hard charger or hucker.

After reading reviews on Blister and Wildsnow recommending a forward mount, I decided to split the difference and mount my 105's on the BC line. Granted I only have 2 tours on heavier Sierra snow but they're pushing me into the back seat. If I really focus on pressuring the cuffs, they ski pretty well but as soon as I relax, I'm tail gunning again. Natebob, did you get that feeling at the BC line? I'm not sure if I should move them forward or rearward.

Dunno about the Helios, but I have og Converts with Speed Radicals on which I've tried a couple of different mount locations. My experience is that fixing the binding delta gave the (for me) better results in how I click with the skis than different mount locations. Might be worth considering if you're not certain that your ramp delta is what you want it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    After reading reviews on Blister ...
    I take some the the blister mount points with a grain of salt since they seem to trend on the much longer side per skier weight for their skis.

Also does anyone just mount (if the recommended line is no bueno) based on how much effective edge in front of the binding they normally like? I ask since I noticed that the effective edge in front of my binding for my 177 Nordica Enforcers and 177 G3 Findr 86 (both of which I love) are pretty much the same even though the G3's have a more forward mount (but less tip rocker "length").
    Last edited by NorCalNomad; 03-19-2018 at 03:18 PM.

LOL, isn't that the truth. Some 150lb guy was reviewing the 186's mounted 2+.

I'll mess around with the ramp angle and give the skis more time before adding any more holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    LOL, isn't that the truth. Some 150lb guy was reviewing the 186's mounted 2+.
    I will say that the Helio's and Amperages do feel short though.That's from a 155lb dry dude who's skied both in the 175 length. Pretty sure most of that comes from the long tip rocker. But no way would I mount my 185 Helio's at +2 as that puts almost the same amount of ski in front of my boot that the 175 Amperage has, which felt short forward.

If BD had a 190+ version I bet Blister would ride that though

After reading reviews on Blister and Wildsnow recommending a forward mount, I decided to split the difference and mount my 105's on the BC line... If I really focus on pressuring the cuffs, they ski pretty well but as soon as I relax, I'm tail gunning again. Natebob, did you get that feeling at the BC line? I'm not sure if I should move them forward or rearward.
    Mr. Toad, I decided on BC line the same way, thought how bad could it be. At the BC line I felt like I wanted more ski in front of my foot in powder especially, but also on firm snow. Felt like I always had to have my weight back to avoid the over the bars feeling, leading me to feel like I was in the back seat, if that makes any sense. This mostly bugged me in powder, where I felt like if I leaned into the tips much, they would dive. On hard snow, I could adjust to skiing the tail more, but still felt like I couldn't find the sweet spot. I think this ski has a pretty stiff tail, and even with moving back 2.5cm I feel like there's plenty of tail to ski groomers well if you like to pressure the tails, or that there is now more ski in front to lean into if you like to do that.

Might be worth considering if you're not certain that your ramp delta is what you want it to be.
    SoooL, That is a good point. I think I'm happy with the binding delta in this case. I'm using Ion's which are not as ramped as some, not as flat as some. Might play around with that to see if it helps.

BC has the 116 on sale for $495, probably the cheapest you'll see them.
    https://www.backcountry.com/black-diamond-helio-116-ski

So I mounted mine at -2.5 & -2.75 (tlt6 and titan tf-x) with Vipecs and got to ski them in some new storm snow a couple weeks ago. Everything from resort chunder, to wind deposited face shots.

DIG EM!

I'm 155lbs and I went with the 185 (I normally ski the high end of 170's) . I had demo'd the 175's in a hot pow day and dug them but really didn't want to run into the problem I had with my 175 Amperages. Which was of running out of ski in front of me in actual deep powder when I wanted to pressure the front of skis, or when landing some drops.

Couple of times felt like I could find the speed limit when I was straight lining back to the lifts. But lets be honest, if you're looking for top end speed in a powder board this light you have misplaced priorities.

^ Nice man. I've always been a big fan of Blizzard skis, it's nice to have more models to choose from under the BD topsheets.

Got to ski my 105's today in 4-7" of new on the closed down ski area runs. I'm very happy with being -2.5 from BC. If anyone is wondering about moving back on the Helio skis, I say do it.

Any Beta on BD Helio 116?

Thanks to dewam for making me aware of this! I just picked up a pair of 17/18 105 185’s and yeah the line is forwards! Going for -3 I think.

6'4 / 185 here, skiing -1cm behind rec for a season now. Wished I'd gone -2...easy to overpower with my Maestrale RS. Still an awesome ski.

found this on the BD website:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bildschirmfoto 2019-02-02 um 17.50.17.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	220.7 KB 
ID:	267783
    Measure
    It’s important that you accurately determine your mounting location based on the recommended specifications (see chart on the Mounting Specs page) with personal preference adjustments, if applicable or known. Measure twice, drill once.
    Alpine: For AT or alpine mid-boot, the ski is marked with our recommendation. We list in our specs what the exact location of this mark is on the ski, so be sure to double- check tolerances as it can shift by a few millimeters. We don’t recommend moving the mount location backward from here, but it’s personal preference if you want to mount select skis forward.

measured my rec. line: a bit forward of the value from the BD table...only a few mm though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2070.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	267809

Last edited by tomh79; 02-02-2019 at 12:12 PM. Reason: added more infos, picture, formatting

Yeah their recommended mount would give you a huuuuuge tail. Like equivalent of a much longer ski.

Quote Originally Posted by tomh79 View Post
    found this on the BD website:
    We don’t recommend moving the mount location backward from here, but it’s personal preference if you want to mount select skis forward.
    I'm convinced that whoever has the last word in mount locations at BD is a park skier...

Word. I keep thinking my 116 would a bit better if I was back another cm or two from my -1 mount.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    I'm convinced that whoever has the last word in mount locations at BD is a park skier...

mounted my 176 helio 116's -1cm from the factory line and have been super psyched on them after a half dozen tours in the gamut of snow. 5'10" 155. psyched on this setup so far.

Anyone at -2.5 wish they were back further? I drilled mine at -3.25 and like them there just fine, but am about to install inserts and wonder if I should leave them there, or move forward to say -2.75.