Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Posting to find thread again when I’m buying insoles. Damn good info.

If you cooked yer SOLES together with yer intuitions and then put them in the liner or SFT

unless the little silver sticker on the bottom of your SOLES turned black

you did not get them hot enough to actualy heat mold them

assuming that was your intention
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    The real trick with off the shelf shoe inserts is to make sure they fit.

Numerous studies have confirmed that custom made orthotics do not have an increased rate of healing over OTS (Off the Shelf) shoe insert products. In clinical studies OTS worked as well as customs in aiding healing of plantar fasciitis and other foot ailments.

An ski/snowboard orthotic should function in two roles: 1) in weaker skiers it provides arch support for a weary & likely out of shape foot. 2) in stronger skiers it utilizes an already strong arch/foot and uses it as a wheel chock to secure the foot against fore/aft movement in the boot. Fore/aft movement is the root of all evil in a ski boot.

Many OTS inserts are cut properly for overall length and completely miss the arch length. The cannot be incorrect. Voids posterior of the 1st MTP joint create instability in the forefoot and will render the insert useless.

ProTip: Measure arch length to get a great fit. The arch starts in back of the calcaneaus and continues to the first MTP joint. This is super important to fit properly. To match the arch length of the wearer it may be necessary to use a size 13 OTS to match the arch length of the wearer who may be just a size 8 or 9. It can be trimmed to fit - choose by how well the arch shape matches your own anatomy, ***not*** overall shoe length.

The arch on the OTS ends where it tapers off and becomes flat.

Attachment 199622

I realzed about half way through this I won't be able to take any pictures- all my stuff is out at the Village- and the power is out! The only OTS I have at the house is this one. It has a fairly large heel cup and a long arch. Many OTS inserts have a very short, low arch in an attempt to fit as many people as possible with the least nmber of lasts (foot shape molds). They rely on a beefy heel cup to control the foot- this can be uncomfortable and creat all sorts of problems in a tight ski boot.

In the picture above, my daughter's arch is shorter than the arch on the OTS. This creates a forefoot varus (wedging the forefoot up and out)and is often uncomfortable as the material from the OTS pushes up on the first MTP Joint and the sesmoid bones. The red shaded area is where there is normally a void created by an OTS arch that is too short.

Often large and deep heel cups are overbuilt to ensure foot control. These large heel cups push the wearer into the front of the boot and can cause toe problems. Frequently I have grind down the fifth MTP joint area from below because the forefoot material is too thick and causes problems w/ blistering and pressure points.

On Super Feet OTS products it is common to cut/grind the lateral plastic posting as it extends distally from the heel. It creates a firm ridge the wearer can feel. It's not uncommon to completely remove the hard plastic heel posting from the insert.

If you have a flat foot and try to just slap any OTS under there, the pain can be excruciating. Eventually your foot will soak up just about any shape OTS, but how long it takes and how painful it will be depends on the wearer.

Fit properly, an OTS insert can be as good as custom. Fit poorly, that $65.00 insert can destroy your $,$$$ ski trip.
    I found it. It took a while, but I knew it had to be here.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Quote Originally Posted by gwat View Post
    ^me too. I have a pair with intuitions, feet are happy.
    I was never happy with the durability of superfeet, they always delaminated.
    Hmmm........I've been using the same pair of green Superfeet for 15 years with no delamination.....
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Is there any way to know the arch length of the Sole footbeds? I'm considering just ordering a few to test for now, but judging by where my foot lands on the superfeets, I have a longer than the size 12 superfeet arches.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Hmmm........I've been using the same pair of green Superfeet for 15 years with no delamination.....
    I had to glue a pair of the green superfeet that I use for backpacking and biking mostly.

Great thread.

Anyone using Tread Labs insoles? As I recall, the founder is a buddy or related to someone here.
    https://treadlabs.com/collections/in...d-snowboarding

Another option: https://powerstep.com/collections/hi...ldable-insoles

Yeah I recently got the tread labs dash (carbon) insoles in extra high. They’re light and stiff as hell. So far I really like them. Haven’t skinned in them yet but I wanted something real stiff that wouldn’t let my foot pronate, especially on side hills. I think it’ll will fit the bill. My spendy custom insoles just broke down way too fast and weren’t supportive enough. 👍 on Tread Labs. Including having various guarantees.

I've been using these and like them.

https://yoursole.com/us/shop/footbed...ance-medium/11

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    The real trick with off the shelf shoe inserts is to make sure they fit.

Numerous studies have confirmed that custom made orthotics do not have an increased rate of healing over OTS (Off the Shelf) shoe insert products. In clinical studies OTS worked as well as customs in aiding healing of plantar fasciitis and other foot ailments.

An ski/snowboard orthotic should function in two roles: 1) in weaker skiers it provides arch support for a weary & likely out of shape foot. 2) in stronger skiers it utilizes an already strong arch/foot and uses it as a wheel chock to secure the foot against fore/aft movement in the boot. Fore/aft movement is the root of all evil in a ski boot.

Many OTS inserts are cut properly for overall length and completely miss the arch length. The cannot be incorrect. Voids posterior of the 1st MTP joint create instability in the forefoot and will render the insert useless.

ProTip: Measure arch length to get a great fit. The arch starts in back of the calcaneaus and continues to the first MTP joint. This is super important to fit properly. To match the arch length of the wearer it may be necessary to use a size 13 OTS to match the arch length of the wearer who may be just a size 8 or 9. It can be trimmed to fit - choose by how well the arch shape matches your own anatomy, ***not*** overall shoe length.

The arch on the OTS ends where it tapers off and becomes flat.

Attachment 199622

I realzed about half way through this I won't be able to take any pictures- all my stuff is out at the Village- and the power is out! The only OTS I have at the house is this one. It has a fairly large heel cup and a long arch. Many OTS inserts have a very short, low arch in an attempt to fit as many people as possible with the least nmber of lasts (foot shape molds). They rely on a beefy heel cup to control the foot- this can be uncomfortable and creat all sorts of problems in a tight ski boot.

In the picture above, my daughter's arch is shorter than the arch on the OTS. This creates a forefoot varus (wedging the forefoot up and out)and is often uncomfortable as the material from the OTS pushes up on the first MTP Joint and the sesmoid bones. The red shaded area is where there is normally a void created by an OTS arch that is too short.

Often large and deep heel cups are overbuilt to ensure foot control. These large heel cups push the wearer into the front of the boot and can cause toe problems. Frequently I have grind down the fifth MTP joint area from below because the forefoot material is too thick and causes problems w/ blistering and pressure points.

On Super Feet OTS products it is common to cut/grind the lateral plastic posting as it extends distally from the heel. It creates a firm ridge the wearer can feel. It's not uncommon to completely remove the hard plastic heel posting from the insert.

If you have a flat foot and try to just slap any OTS under there, the pain can be excruciating. Eventually your foot will soak up just about any shape OTS, but how long it takes and how painful it will be depends on the wearer.

Fit properly, an OTS insert can be as good as custom. Fit poorly, that $65.00 insert can destroy your $,$$$ ski trip.

Rest in Peace my Friend. We miss you.

Off the shelf Superfeet are $65 and custom made Sidas footbeds are $150. I have no idea why anyone would ever buy a Superfeet unless your foot perfectly matches the generic shape of the Superfeet, which it doesn’t.

I got 3 pair of 300$ custom molded orthotics on my extended benfits HC plan and I got the Soles,

I have put one of each in my boots SO sole vs custom, at end of day I don't remember which was in what boot so they do work for me

IME the key is finding an off the shelf orthotic that works as opposed to getting a custom made foot bed,

I have bought off the shelf Sole for as cheap as 12$ in the junk section at princess auto,

they actualy DO perfectly match my foot

so IME if you can find a 12$ footbed that works ... buy it

this thread actulay has some good info on buying off the shelf footbeds

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Rest in Peace my Friend. We miss you.
    I missed this. When and what happened to Stephen?

Sent via iPhone
    Slidewright.com
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I got 3 pair of 300$ custom molded orthotics on my extended benfits HC plan and I got the Soles,

I have put one of each in my boots SO sole vs custom, at end of day I don't remember which was in what boot so they do work for me

IME the key is finding an off the shelf orthotic that works as opposed to getting a custom made foot bed,

I have bought off the shelf Sole for as cheap as 12$ in the junk section at princess auto,

they actualy DO perfectly match my foot

so IME if you can find a 12$ footbed that works ... buy it

this thread actulay has some good info on buying off the shelf footbeds
    That’s really good coverage. I helped a buddy w his podiatry practice biz this year and I was amazed at how few insurance plans covered orthotics. All said they did but most had ridiculous exclusions like “except in cases of arch support” lol wut? Not diabetic? Nope. It was kind of ridiculous. There are a lot of good off the shelf options now though otherwise custom is pretty pricey out of pocket and not all that different really unless you have Quasimodo feet

well there was a deductible so the plan wouldn't have covered the whole 200-300, that first set was back in the day 1983-ish and I got the others over the years

Now in retirement the plan just gives me 1500-no-deductible to spend however i want but I don't buy custom orthotics cuz the Sole work just as well

IME the big question is what off the rack product works for you ??

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    I missed this. When and what happened to Stephen?

Sent via iPhone
    Slidewright.com
    Stephen was killed a few years back in the summer. Riding his bike across country. A driver crossed the center line and hit him head on. Somewhere in Iowa iirc.

I see his daughter daily skiing the village. Think of him often.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Stephen was killed a few years back in the summer. Riding his bike across country. A driver crossed the center line and hit him head on. Somewhere in Iowa iirc.

I see his daughter daily skiing the village. Think of him often.
    Sad to hear. RIP

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

If you have an FSA, tboee funds can be used for off the shelf insoles. I bought a bunch of Sole insoles when I had a company funding my FSA.

I’ve been using the Superfeet carbon in cycling shoes and ski boots with success. It’s a little bit lower arch than green which I usually wear, but it’s light and stiff. They have a pretty decent description of the arch height of all their active oriented footbeds on their website. Like a lot of you I’ve been using them for decades with success.