Views:	64 
Size:	305.0 KB 
ID:	341421

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7210.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	341424
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I have two ATVs which I solely use around my property. The first is a 1994 Honda foreman 300. It’s a hand me down from my father. It’s been a fantastic machine, but it’s on the small side. Once the plow frame rusted away, I designated it as my field mower. It pulls a 48” rough cut mower just fine

The second machine is a 2007 Polaris 500 sportsman. It’s larger, and more powerful, but it’s had a lot more issues than the Honda. CVT belt issues, brakes, fuel injection, idle issues. I much prefer the geared transmission Honda over the Polaris

I’d love a small tractor or backhoe. The other option is a skid steer. I need to bore fence holes, and move dirt, so a plow truck isn’t what I need

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    I have two ATVs which I solely use around my property. The first is a 1994 Honda foreman 300. It’s a hand me down from my father. It’s been a fantastic machine, but it’s on the small side. Once the plow frame rusted away, I designated it as my field mower. It pulls a 48” rough cut mower just fine

The second machine is a 2007 Polaris 500 sportsman. It’s larger, and more powerful, but it’s had a lot more issues than the Honda. CVT belt issues, brakes, fuel injection, idle issues. I much prefer the geared transmission Honda over the Polaris

I’d love a small tractor or backhoe. The other option is a skid steer. I need to bore fence holes, and move dirt, so a plow truck isn’t what I need
    That's interesting to read because I just came here to ask for opinions on a Polaris 500 Sportsman I saw on local Craigslist. I need a plow and I also need to pull a boom sprayer for weeds. (Been using an old Yamaha 200 3-wheeler for the weeds.)

https://helena.craigslist.org/snw/d/...200541455.html

Then there's also this Honda Fourtrax 300 I'm considering. Not auto, which I kinda wanted, but could be more reliable and less maintenance? Any thoughts?

https://helena.craigslist.org/snw/d/...203904618.html

To be fair, my 500 sportsman had not had the easiest life before I bought it. It frustrated the hell of me by stalling all the time when I stopped suddenly when plowing. I was sure it was the clutches not disengaging. I put on a new primary clutch and put a new Belt on and it still stalled. I thought I was cleaning the MAS, but it was some idle air sensor which fixed the problem.

It’s got brake issues. The cooling fan is intermittent. All little things. I also got tired of popping the little plastic body rivets off for the shrouds, genders and foot wells just to get to the belts or motor or battery. I pretty much pulled all the plastic off the sides and chucked it. It looks like a farm implement now. It does move some snow though for a little machine. I don’t know what more experienced mechanics/riders like, but I’d rather have the gears and a centripetal clutch like my little Honda has