Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I want a pto driven snow blower on a Bobcat styled machine. I've thought about putting one on my 52 dodge with a pto, but I don't have time to figure out how to do it

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Since you live in a hilly area, you'll need a friend with a tow winch to lift it off you when it flips over.
    Definitely a concern...I'm looking into one of those things you wear around your neck with the button you press when you fall and can't get up.

Quote Originally Posted by permnation View Post
    If I was smart I'd move south, get one of these to tool around on and live out my days fat and happy. I'm not smart.

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    Honda Rancher 4x4. How much are you planning on spending? Add winch and blade for plowing and could get up to $10k although my FIL has had one of his Honda 4x4's for 20 years.

I'm in the same boat and gonna go With the Honda.
    Wasn't really sure how much, was hoping the collective would provide suggestions that would help narrow things down. Looks around $10K I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    whats an ATV gona cost compared to a small tractor?

I worked on a cleanup job for that fuckign terrible movie "The Grey" a few year back, 2 of the guys on the crew had previously flipped their ride on tops and were still dealing with injuries , those things can be fucking dangerous

The guy paying the bills rented us a 6 man ranger to get the crew up into the alpine and that thing was 3 times as fast going up or down the hill
    My neighbor has a tractor. When things get dicey she goes around the neighborhood helping dig folks out. Has a cool snowblower attachment on the back. Not sure how it would be in tight wooded spaces though and fun factor=0

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    New: $9-$11k for Honda or Yamaha w/700cc engine and all accessories; $7-8K for good John Deere (X360) with 48" blade and deck, and trailer
    My unit:
    Attachment 199608
    I'm sure it's effective for plowing but probably not so much for collecting firewood and again, fun factor=0

Quote Originally Posted by cycology1 View Post
    First winter spent living on Peak 7 in Breck. Lots of snow this year...Bought a Troy-Bilt Vortex snow blower over a quad w/ plow not knowing how right of a decision that would be...

The biggest issue with everyone this time of year is snow storage. My blower will chuck the snow over 30' and most importantly, up and over the snow banks. With a plow, you just push it around, but EVENTUALLY it will back up. Most of my neighbors are having push backs done (if they didn't have a professional / knowledgeable plow service from day 1).
    I have an Ariens Compact 24 self-propelled blower and I understand what you're saying about getting the snow up as much as out. The blower worked great last year with all the fluffy dry snow we got but this year it's been wave after wave of San Juan Cement and it doesn't like that as much. I've also got a horseshoe drive with 2 ends that get plowed in by the local "metro" guys. Even with the blower that always involves some level of hand to hand combat that I'm really not interested in anymore.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guess I need to go out and start shopping. Will definitely check out some side by sides. We don't have a decent grocery store here but we've got an ag implement store that would put any big-city car dealership to shame and they have a shit-pot of them on the lot. Might be able to pick up a decent used one for not too much $$$.
    The Sheriff is near!

It is true that the JD has zero fun factor, but if you purchase a trailer you will have no problem lugging firewood. I use it for mowing, aerating, plowing, moving rocks, wood and other large objects.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    It is true that the JD has zero fun factor, but if you purchase a trailer you will have no problem lugging firewood. I use it for mowing, aerating, plowing, moving rocks, wood and other large objects.
    I'm sure it's capable of lugging it, my concern is the getting to it. I live in the woods on the side of a mountain...not a lot of flat around here.
    The Sheriff is near!

FWIW, this is my "backyard". There's a ton of down dead and standing dead timber back in there that I can burn and needs to be cleared for fire mitigation. I just need a way to go get it. Maybe this will help explain what I'm looking for...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170211_123405[1].jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	199670  
    The Sheriff is near!

BUYING AN ATV...WHAT DO I NEED?

I cleared 3 acres with a Honda Rincon. Cut them down, throw a chain around the trunk and drag them to the burn pile. It worked well.
    Bonus, the kids loved it when I pulled them around on a toboggan in the winter.
    Last edited by Shredhead; 02-11-2017 at 03:37 PM.

Deep pockets
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Bush buggy...
    Name:  7054cfe0-6c6a-493b-81c8-2cea06fcfdc8.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  29.3 KB
    To the Thingmajigger!

I know a guy who has a big piece of property with a lot of trees and rocky doubletrack paths that needs a lot of work. He uses John Deere Gator XUV 825i for the work. He also has a Yamaha Wolverine for fun. Just two more to consider
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Bimble View Post
    So after 1.5 years and 2 winters in my little mountain paradise I've decided an ATV is needed (wanted). Use as a toy for sure but also to haul felled trees for firewood, plow my driveway and any other little task that I'm either too lazy or too old to do manually.

I've never had one so know absolutely dick. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    Colorado right?
    What sort of play might be involved?

If it's more for utility, Honda is super reliable.
    On the play end of the spectrum, especially if you might want to run tracks, the Yamaha griz 700, or CanAm outlander 800 are worth a look.

We have the latter in a 2up (driver/passenger - not side by side) configuration and use it for BC access and some times shuttle depending.

Once you think you know what you want to get, try to find the associated user group forum to help you determine if it's the best choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I cleared 3 acres with a Honda Rincon. Cut them down, throw a chain around the trunk and drag them to the burn pile. It worked well.
    Bonus, the kids loved it when I pulled them around on a toboggan in the winter.
    Sounds like just what I'm looking for
    The Sheriff is near!

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    Colorado right?
    What sort of play might be involved?

If it's more for utility, Honda is super reliable.
    On the play end of the spectrum, especially if you might want to run tracks, the Yamaha griz 700, or CanAm outlander 800 are worth a look.

We have the latter in a 2up (driver/passenger - not side by side) configuration and use it for BC access and some times shuttle depending.

Once you think you know what you want to get, try to find the associated user group forum to help you determine if it's the best choice.
    Would probably consist of mostly tooling around the neighborhood. My "subdivision" consists of a maze of chip-sealed, gravel and dirt roads that would be fun to ride on. At the furthest reaches of the "development" are what can best be described as four wheel drive roads/jeep trails that extend out to who knows where. We also border the San Juan National Forest. I know you're only allowed to use specific trails there but there are some within easy access, so there's that as well.

edit: I guess there is legal direct access from the "subdivision" to the national forest...FKNA!!!
    Last edited by Garth Bimble; 02-11-2017 at 10:30 PM.
    The Sheriff is near!

my opinions/experience:
    fire/forestry experience showed various Hondas as highly reliable while being beaten like rented mules.

Parents tried snow (1/2 mile of private road) and firewood duties with a Polaris 6x6 and were unsatisfied...both with capability and with unreliability. Small kubota tractor replaced it and has been outstanding.

Workplace (large fleet garage and big parking area) has every toy....various plow rigs, tractors, snowblowers, etc. Small tractors (1 cub cadet, 1 kubota) have become the most useful...plow trucks are the preferred mode, but they have become unreliable because plowing is so harsh on pickup trucks. Tractors have been rock solid....my guess is that tractors are engineered for these tasks. Snowblower attachment on the kubota gets a lot of play.
    Redneck coworkers have similar small tractors, all are stoked.

If I were getting something and had $, I'd strongly consider a small tractor. Don't underestimate the inherent fun of tractoring.

^^i agree with this. I have beat the hell out of our tiny JD 2320 daily for ten years with no major issues (knock on wood)

So I finally went shopping and seem to have narrowed it down to either a) Can-Am Outlander 570 or b) Polaris Sportsman 570. The reason it's down to these is 1) In my price range after adding the plow/winch and 2) They are the only "2-ups" out there...in other words, the only ones in my price range designed to handle 2 people and if I'm going to buy one I might as well be able to take the wife out when she can. Most of the others can handle a 2nd seat but have shorter wheelbases so maybe not as comfortable/stable. Anyone have any experience with either?
    The Sheriff is near!

I think I was using the LL had the polaris and I used it to plow a good sized DW in some big snow years

I had no real complaints with its operation, I would strap a big chunk of fire wood on the back rack for extra weight, it did NOT have 4x4 in reverse so if I got it stuck pushing snow off the road it was hard to get out

don't forget to budget for the blade
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

So I finally went shopping and seem to have narrowed it down to either a) Can-Am Outlander 570 or b) Polaris Sportsman 570. The reason it's down to these is 1) In my price range after adding the plow/winch and 2) They are the only "2-ups" out there...in other words, the only ones in my price range designed to handle 2 people and if I'm going to buy one I might as well be able to take the wife out when she can. Most of the others can handle a 2nd seat but have shorter wheelbases so maybe not as comfortable/stable. Anyone have any experience with either?
    Outlander 2up here but ours an 800.
    The longer wheel base is a plus IMO.
    Hit http://www.can-amforum.com/ for pertinent info on lubes to run, service, mods/tweaks etc.
    It's been trouble free.

The machines designed for fore-aft seating are much heavier, and have a greatly decreased turning radius. Regular machines with an aftermarket bitch seat are slightly more unstable, especially if the recommended rear rack load is exceeded, but IMO the weight and maneuverability were greater considerations considering my use (backcountry access mostly, no plowing). However, the aftermarket rear seat would have had worker's comp throw a fit if it was not manufacturer installed/certified.

While some of what BCMountainhound says is accurate (turning radius for instance) I wouldn't characterize the weight difference (at least on the Can-Am) between the one up and two up as "much" heavier when you take into account the aftermarket second passenger seat mod. In addition the two up has heavier suspension components (again on the Can-Am) to accommodate the load. I also find "Slightly more unstable" to be relative - how much does the passenger weigh, how steep of terrain are you riding (?), etc. Look were the weight is relative to the rear axle and make your own determination.

I also plowed a lot of snow with a 2 wd 350 honda, a long driveway but we also used to plow big speed skating ovals on moose lake and the little honda still did fine altho i think it was just a 4' blade instead of 5"
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

My side by side comparison experience is a bit dated admittedly, but the ~600 2-up Polaris would sink like a stone in a mud puddle that a Yamaha 450 with a aftermarket seat would skate across with ease (single rider in both instances). YMMV, other factors such as tires may have played a significant role in those conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I think I was using the LL had the polaris and I used it to plow a good sized DW in some big snow years

I had no real complaints with its operation, I would strap a big chunk of fire wood on the back rack for extra weight, it did NOT have 4x4 in reverse so if I got it stuck pushing snow off the road it was hard to get out

don't forget to budget for the blade
    Local shop has a 2016 Outlander with the winch already on it that I can get a little cheaper than 2017 plus $800 rebate, which should just about cover the cost of the plow/mount/install. We'll see.
    The Sheriff is near!

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    While some of what BCMountainhound says is accurate (turning radius for instance) I wouldn't characterize the weight difference (at least on the Can-Am) between the one up and two up as "much" heavier when you take into account the aftermarket second passenger seat mod. In addition the two up has heavier suspension components (again on the Can-Am) to accommodate the load. I also find "Slightly more unstable" to be relative - how much does the passenger weigh, how steep of terrain are you riding (?), etc. Look were the weight is relative to the rear axle and make your own determination.
    Not sure about the aftermarket mod but on the Can-am the weight difference between the 2 is about 40#.
    The Sheriff is near!

I'm getting one of these to haul logs with my ATV and sub-utility tractor

24" width 2000lbs 10-11' length fully off ground. Will move a 16 foot log with minimum tail drag and up to 21' suspended with following man arch

http://www.logrite.com/store/Item/ATV-Arch

A few years ago a friend bought a cabin on the lake (near 100 Mile House, BC) with a lot of ATV/snowmobile trails so we all went out and bought ATVs. We had Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, Can Am and Polaris. For the trail riding we do they're all fine. Can Am, Honda and Yamaha are the most popular. Polaris makes some cheap ATVs -- for example a single brake lever for all the tires instead of front and rear.

Honda uses an actual transmission (automatic or dual-clutch) while everyone else uses a belt CVT. Honda still uses a manual on it's Foreman line which is less fun than you think.

One friend started with a Can Am 2-up but after a year of alternating with his wife they sold the 2-up and bought individual Cam Ams.

Power steering is worth the price. Unless you're XXL a 500 provides enough hp. Stock tires on a new ATV are junk (2-plies vs 6-8 for after market).
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.