Page 39 of 57 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast
    In the meantime the US ladies Nordic team wins GOLD! Way to go Jessie and Kikkan.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    In the meantime the US ladies Nordic team wins GOLD! Way to go Jessie and Kikkan.
    Yes!

I remember watching Bill Koch winning the first medal in 1976. Been a long time coming.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    This is huge and awesome. Exciting race and finish.

Great Kikkan/Jessie interview & race finish clips.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Big win. Congratulations ladies Nordic XC

It was also cool to see 3 US women in the top 7, 4 in the top 15 of the DH.

The results show the time plus distances from first.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    it went from probably the best hockey tournament in the world, to meh- who really cares. seats are 30% sold. maybe.
    I agree that is part of it. But there are also empty spots at skiing events with the top racers in the world competing. South Koreans are watching short track because they are into it and competitive in the discipline. But otherwise.... not a nation really into most winter sports from what I can see. Fuck the IOC and it's politics and focus on money. The winter olympics should be located in places that culturally love winter and winter sports. How about Norway for 2022? No. Let's have it in fucking Bejing.

distance in inches, centimeters, feet or meters?

I assume it's meters.

Diggins and Vonn representing their midwest roots on the podium! Very proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post

Now THAT's a fucking sport. So awesome for those two!

Quote Originally Posted by atomicboy View Post
    on a positive note women's 3000m short track relay was sold out. Anyone understand that shit show? girls skating in ovals coming and going all over the place
    Ha! Agreed, looks like total chaos. Way, WAY too often the winners are declared after the fact based on penalization. In the one final the bronze was awarded to the Dutch (I think) who literally weren't even in the race.

Skier cross is seriously fucking cool though.

Quote Originally Posted by srsosbso View Post
    I agree that is part of it. But there are also empty spots at skiing events with the top racers in the world competing. South Koreans are watching short track because they are into it and competitive in the discipline. But otherwise.... not a nation really into most winter sports from what I can see. Fuck the IOC and it's politics and focus on money. The winter olympics should be located in places that culturally love winter and winter sports. How about Norway for 2022? No. Let's have it in fucking Bejing.
    The problem is no respectable country wants to deal with the assholes at the IOC. I believe Oslo was in the running for 2022 until somebody leaked the IOC demands to the public. The backlash killed it and Oslo pulled out. I think the only 2 countries that wanted the games ended up being China and Kazakhstan.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post

That was awesome. Diggins knew just what to do at the finish, playing to her strength.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    The problem is no respectable country wants to deal with the assholes at the IOC. I believe Oslo was in the running for 2022 until somebody leaked the IOC demands to the public. The backlash killed it and Oslo pulled out. I think the only 2 countries that wanted the games ended up being China and Kazakhstan.
    Good for Oslo. I just read the wiki entry on this. 7000 pages of IOC "demands." Fucking politicians. They wreck everything.

The winter games used to be in such classic winter sports communities. Chamonix. St. Moritz. Cortina. Squaw Valley. Innsbruck. Grenoble. Damn.

Looks like meters. Click on the '+' sign to see splits and speed in km/h. The finish speed (kmx1000) multiplied by time difference doesn't quite compute to the distance, but close.

There were a few skating and nordic photo finishes where a couple thousandths of sec equaled an inch or two.

Here's an interesting article on Olympic timing.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    That was awesome. Diggins knew just what to do at the finish, playing to her strength.

In the semis, the announcer said there is no one faster in the sprints than Diggins and especially the 'tweener distance' of 3.5k, because she was basically built for that distance.

For them it is all about team vs individual, too. Their genuine attitude and joy makes it all the better.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Its what I was bitching about two months ago. With NHL players, the Olympic hockey tournament is epic...

NHL owners:
    On the other hand, you catch the Bruins game last night? 3rd period was epic, each goal was like they were hitting the Oilers in the head with big hammer. Playoff atmosphere, crisp play, high effort level....the NHL is in charge of the game on their rinks, not somebody else's on the other side of the world.

I can see it both ways but taking 2 weeks off in the middle of the playoff chase, risking injuries, for no money return? Not an awesome business proposition when you get right down to it.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Not an awesome business proposition when you get right down to it.
    I get this. I sure miss seeing the world's best on the big stage... but I do understand the decision from the owner's standpoint.

2018 Winter Olympics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Now THAT's a fucking sport. So awesome for those two!
    Seriously.
    What’s not to like? Great people, competing hard, fun to watch, no judges.
    It’s like “First one to cross the line buys the beers.”

The winter games used to be in such classic winter sports communities. Chamonix. St. Moritz. Cortina. Squaw Valley. Innsbruck. Grenoble. Damn.
    Actually, Squaw may have been the tipping point in undeserving locations getting the the games due to IOC bullshit. It's all rosy in retrospect, but Squaw should have never been in the running if everything was on the up and up.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Actually, Squaw may have been the tipping point in undeserving locations getting the the games due to IOC bullshit. It's all rosy in retrospect, but Squaw should have never been in the running if everything was on the up and up.
    Huh. Did not know that. Never been but thought it was a bit of a winter sports mecca kind of place.

On an unrelated note.... Germany takes out Sweden in men's hockey. Who'd have thought?

Huh. Did not know that. Never been but thought it was a bit of a winter sports mecca kind of place.
    ?
    Nope, prior to bullshitting an bribing his way into hosting 1960, all Alex had was one lift and a donkey show in Reno

Combined tonight!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

And:
    8:10 PST
    USA v. Canada, women’s hockey

Fun viewing tonight.

In the one final the bronze was awarded to the Dutch (I think) who literally weren't even in the race.
    They had also set an Olympic record for that event. Got bronze.

It is now. Certainly was not when awarded the Games. OTOH I'm sure the IOC wanted to pick a location other than Europe for a change.