Page 1 of 57 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

2018 Winter Olympics Thread

One year from today and wouldn't you know it, some great news comes out:

Bob Costas is stepping down from prime time Olympic hosting duties, handing it off to Mike Tirico.

Not sure how I feel about an NFL guy doing Olympic coverage but anything will be better than conjunctivitis Costas giving the nation a lecture on some unrelated politics of the day before getting to cut up footage of 3 US athletes and then 2 hours of sob stories.
    I still call it The Jake.

I think theres already a 2018 Winter Olympics thread.

And you think the sob stories are going to stop?
    Decisions Decisions

Shit, search didn't give me anything - then again that's not saying a whole lot. I'll delete if so.

The sob stories won't stop but the lectures will and that's a start.

riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Shit, search didn't give me anything - then again that's not saying a whole lot. I'll delete if so.

The sob stories won't stop but the lectures will and that's a start.
    I was being (trying) funny, Its in a fucking YEAR. Way to get the jump on it though.

Is Joe Buck any better ("that is a DISGUSTING act by Randy Moss!!!")
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    I was being (trying) funny, Its in a fucking YEAR. Way to get the jump on it though.

Is Joe Buck any better ("that is a DISGUSTING act by Randy Moss!!!")
    Ha! I gotcha.

Joe Buck is rumored to be a changed man now that he ran off with that Schwarber boy.

His dad must be rolling over in his grave with Joe's boner over a Cub
    Decisions Decisions

Welp, see ya later Russia!

Russia banned by IOC from Winter Olympics

Rog and the Russians have something in common now.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Neither get to be with Matt Lauer anymore?

Death blow to Russian curling
    watch out for snakes

Dude - it’s those Canadian curlers who are suspect #jacked
    https://www.google.ca/amp/www.maclea...re-jacked/amp/

Which country had the hot curlers last time? Canada? Great Britain?

There's been a curling championship from Plzeň, CZ on TV today. The Czech women's team was damn cute, and the Danes weren't bad, either. The Latvians, uh, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
    There's been a curling championship from Plzeň, CZ on TV today. The Czech women's team was damn cute, and the Danes weren't bad, either. The Latvians, uh, not so much.
    Which country has the windmills? I want to root for that one.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Just a hunch, but any woman who can windmill a curling stone might not be the most attractive of the squad.

YMMV.

There should be parallel olympic coverage--one stream for people who want to see sob stories and figure skating, a parallel stream for people who actually care about the sports. All I actually watch is hockey--hopefully Doc will be doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    There should be parallel olympic coverage--one stream for people who want to see sob stories and figure skating, a parallel stream for people who actually care about the sports. All I actually watch is hockey--hopefully Doc will be doing it.
    If you reside close to Canuckistan and can get CBC you can do exactly that.

I’ll never forget visiting a buddy outside Detroit during the Vancouver Games and noticing how shitty the US coverage is. One tv with CBC was straight sports non stop. The other tv was NBC and Bob Costas trying to get you to cry all the fucking time.

Hope it’s better with nbssports and streaming options but if you’ve ever tried to watch MNF you’ll know that streaming has a way of blowing goats.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I don't know what they'll be doing during the actual Olympics, but the Olympic Channel is pretty awesome right now. They have commentators who seem to know what they're talking about announcing sports that rarely see the light of day. Luge, ski jumping, biathlon, curling, etc. It reminds me a lot of Eurosport coverage of those sports. No "human interest" stories - just good, simple coverage of the events, as they happen(ed... they're often not live), which is to say that they're not just showing Americans and nothing else. They show pretty much every jump, every luge run, etc.

If they can do the same for the Games, I'll be thrilled.

I'm guessing they won't.

No pro hockey players. Horrible.

The ONLY people in the world who don't want to see the pros competing in the Olympics, are the NHL owners. So because of those 30 greedy pricks, the rest of us don't get to see the highest level athletes competing in their sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post

The ONLY people in the world who don't want to see the pros competing in the Olympics, are the NHL owners. So because of those 30 greedy pricks, the rest of us don't get to see the highest level athletes competing in their sport.
    What’s the saying? The athletes save the games?

I guess not in this case.

What a bunch of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post

The ONLY people in the world who don't want to see the pros competing in the Olympics, are the NHL owners.
    I couldn't give a fuck about ice hockey. I don't own a team.

If I did I probably wouldn't my contracted players going to the Olympics though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Hockey will be much less entertaining this time around. Wish we would have sent an all collegiate all star team instead of the has bens they went with. Would have made for a better storyline once the pros were ruled out.

I noticed alpine skiing will be held at two separate mountains. Slalom and GS at Yongpyong (a resort owned by the Moonies), and the Super G and downhill at Jeongseon which was developed specifically for these Olympics.

Either fucking way, isnt the Olympics supposed to represent the best athletes that your country has to offer in each sport??

It's not the best AMATEUR athletes, it's supposed to be the best of the best. And PNWBrit, not liking hockey is not a reason to not want your country's best athletes competing in their chosen sports..

To us hockey fans, it's a kick in the balls. The Olympic hockey tournament has been THE hockey tournament to watch if you love the sport. It was like an all-star game but every player went all-out, like it was the Stanley Cup finals. Watching countrymen play together was one of the coolest things in sports period. Russia skated Ovetchkin with Malkin and Datsyuk with Kovalchuk! Varlamov or Bobvroski in net! Watching Canada skating with Sydney Crosby, Jonathan Toews or Ryan Getzlaf, and Patrice Bergeron!! Fucking P.K. Subban, Shea Webber, and Duncan Keith blue lining?!? It was fucking all-star stud players skating for their home countries. You better believe they left it all on the ice. Some of the best hockey games I've ever seen, period.

To have it watered down with has-beens and amateur or college players is a fucking travesty.