Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I think, at least for many Americans, Tanner Hall is one of a handful of big names in freeskiing. His influence during the peak growth of the sport was huge. While there are number of people I'd rather watch than Tanner Hall, frankly I think it will be very interesting to watch him try to keep up on the FWT. It might shed some light for the layperson on the difficulty and high level of competition.

But yeah, the concept of a wildcard spot is interesting.
    I think he'll get his ass handed to him by all the 18 year olds who can huck to flat all day long

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I think, at least for many Americans, Tanner Hall is one of a handful of big names in freeskiing. His influence during the peak growth of the sport was huge. While there are number of people I'd rather watch than Tanner Hall, frankly I think it will be very interesting to watch him try to keep up on the FWT. It might shed some light for the layperson on the difficulty and high level of competition.

But yeah, the concept of a wildcard spot is interesting.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I think he'll get his ass handed to him by all the 18 year olds who can huck to flat all day long
    Meh, let's not make excuses for him based on age. There are plenty of people in their 30s skiing very well on the FWT.

I'd be pretty surprised if he performed well, but I guess we'll see.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 05-29-2018 at 08:01 AM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Any wildcard can irk the folks that are trying to qualify and might be close to doing so. FWT hands them out for a variety of reasons to their own benefit which of course they're entirely entitled to do.

#2 isn't particularly worried about TH competitively, though he certainly respects him for his accomplishments in the sport. On the tour he might be successful one day and not the next like every other rider.

Having been around the scene for a bit this year it's clear that if an (especially north American) athlete is hung up on 'fair' the FWT is not going to be much fun. Euro athletes have big $ sponsorships, lots of press, cars with their names on them etc. Scoring can be weird, positioning can seem manipulated at times.

FWT does things the way they want to and you get to know pretty quickly that its all just part of the game, so enjoy what you get to do and the opportunity to play. They put on a good show and that's the business they're in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Seems like any skier would be stoked at the chance to beat TH in a comp. If someone can't beat him then they shouldn't be saying he doesn't deserve to compete. Sounds like he did throw a big tantrum at squaw the other day but it also sounds like he's off the pain pills and he's skied really well recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by geo039 View Post
    Chime in mags. Initial thought is “wow how demotivating to all the guys on the FWQ that works their asses off to get a slot”

I wouldn't count TH out in good snow, but the cumulative effect of all the injuries has to be a factor in poor conditions. Dude can ski big terrain and trick stuff even if he is getting older, and he has crazy determination/grit. Not a personal fan of his style in big mountain skiing.

Why happened at Squaw the other day? Didn’t hear about it.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

X-post from the parallel thread:

Wildcard spots are nothing new. If you are working your way up through the qualifiers you know this is a possibility.

Are the venues the same as last year? My money says he delivers mid-pack performances in Hakuba, KH and Vallnord that are good slopestyle runs but lack the real charging and technically tight skiing needed to break into the top 5-10 spots, but crashes out of at least one run. Gets his ass handed to him in Fieberbrunn and misses the cut for Verbier.

FWT 17 Freeride World Tour spoilers within

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Euro athletes have big $ sponsorships, lots of press, cars with their names on them etc..
    A little broad stroked no? Who has a car with their name on it? (Previous athletes don’t count and ones that got this due to parents riches don’t count too)

The guys on the 3 and 4 star driving 12’hours one day and 12 hours the next day back to their homes to save money sure doesn’t fit this bill.

Hope this pub grab works for the FWT (they sure as hell need it) but again somewhat demoralizing to the spirit.

That being said all I know it’s going to be bananas!!!!!
    https://youtu.be/RjfK9ak52Ug
    Last edited by geo039; 05-29-2018 at 03:14 PM.
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Basically it sounds like the whole mountain went on hold for lightning then they let TH have one more run after the lifts closed then he asked for one more and they said no way and he proceeded to swear and rant all the way home down the gondola etc and they pulled his pass.
    https://www.newschoolers.com/news/re...ng-Pulled-Pass

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Why happened at Squaw the other day? Didn’t hear about it.

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDead View Post
    Basically it sounds like the whole mountain went on hold for lightning then they let TH have one more run after the lifts closed then he asked for one more and they said no way and he proceeded to swear and rant all the way home down the gondola etc and they pulled his pass.
    https://www.newschoolers.com/news/re...ng-Pulled-Pass
    Sounds like he's still a giant tool, so I guess that hasn't changed.

A little broad stroked no? Who has a car with their name on it? (Previous athletes don’t count and ones that got this due to parents riches don’t count too)

The guys on the 3 and 4 star driving 12’hours one day and 12 hours the next day back to their homes to save money sure doesn’t fit this bill.

Hope this pub grab works for the FWT (they sure as hell need it) but again somewhat demoralizing to the spirit.

That being said all I know it’s going to be bananas!!!!!
    Not broad at all. I was there. I saw the cars in the parking lots. Eva Walkner and several others. BMW, MB, Audi, Skoda, and Renault (as I recall) were all somewhere with someone's name in them. Can't remember offhand who but I saw the with my own beady eyes. If you follow the athletes on social media you will see who they are since they post stuff.

The Euros, in general, also get paid very well by their sponsors. Most of the established ones don't have other jobs as they make a good living being FWT riders. They're treated the way the US treats our successful Olympic athletes. They are publicized by their local newspapers, do national TV stuff, celebrated for the succeses. Not so with Americans and others. No sour grapes, it's just a fact.

Not sure what you're getting after with this post. TH and other riders have nothing to do with FWQ guys' hard work. My kid did that circuit and it's rugged. You can't get to the FWT by being rich so not sure what that has to do with anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Tanner gets really focused on anything he does, he may go all-out at first, it'll be fun to watch. He will NOT like the judging though, he may chew them out a bit, ha.

I predict Tanner makes a few podiums and has a few big crashes. Either way, he’s adding some interest to the season so I’m all for it.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

... That being said all I know it’s going to be bananas!!!!!
    That's him after 15 months of sobriety? I don't even want to imagine what he was like on alcohol.

... Thom

Sent from my XT1254 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Hope his ankles are up for it.