Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    I do not believe it was a tornado, but I have experienced extremely strong winds - 90+ mph and I have never seen damage like that... I am still shocked with winds strong enough to do cause that kind of damage no other structures were impacted...
    I don't disagree, pretty crazy.

It could have easily been a anomaly that the stations are programmed to ignore

Also considering that the poles are steel-> I assume Wyoming uses salt. Are the poles in reach of the plow/snowblower?

Rode snow king yesterday in thigh deep snow pretty much all day. After riding jhmr the day before and all the closed lifts due to wind. The forecast called for very windy yesterday afternoon. Drove south through alpine this morning and on hill at targhee tonight and tomorrow. Hopefully the snow happens tonight and the pass stays closed!

Curious if there was damage to other structures around town? Seems to me like those towers should've been designed to withstand those types of winds. We have to design for 175 mph, 3 sec gusts here. I would be sweating bullets if I designed those towers.

Quote Originally Posted by rmnpsplitter View Post
    Curious if there was damage to other structures around town? Seems to me like those towers should've been designed to withstand those types of winds. We have to design for 175 mph, 3 sec gusts here. I would be sweating bullets if I designed those towers.
    I'm not aware of other wind damage, but i've been chilling on days off in victor. Sounded like prolonged 90+ or so.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

190 maybe.

Hopefully this won't happen in early March.
    Coming back for more Tetons!

Quote Originally Posted by alembical View Post
    I think the sleet and freezing rain had built up enough on those lines that the added weight played a big role here.
    Even a little bit of freezing rain can add a huge load to large powerlines like that. Combine that with 90+ mph wind and a cascading failure like that is a definite possibility. Here is damage to large power transmission towers in Quebec caused by just ice.

Name:  icestorm2-pylons.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  48.4 KB
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

sad transformer

Somebody has to say it - climate change is happening in front of our eyes. Rain and freezing rain in Jackson in early February? WTF? I lived there for most of the 80's and it never rained in winter. Ever. Now it is common. Imagine a few more degrees average increase.

New York was 62F today.
    Somehow over night it'll drop 35F and snow 8-11" tomorrow.
    Unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    Somebody has to say it - climate change is happening in front of our eyes. Rain and freezing rain in Jackson in early February? WTF? I lived there for most of the 80's and it never rained in winter. Ever. Now it is common. Imagine a few more degrees average increase.
    I was just reading today about the storm of February 1986 that killed two ski patrollers and how it rained like crazy in town.

You have to remember that every nuance of the weather is irrefutable proof of impending climate apocalypse to a sensitive snowflake. No matter they have had over 400" so far this winter, they have perfect memories of "how it used to be" and what "normal" is. They know more from their couple decades of worldly existence than all the evidence of climate change contained in the geologic record ya know....

The weather is supposed to do what they want it to do now! Or else some high and mighty priest from the holy church of global warming saints must do something now! Mainly empty virtue signaling. That seems to placate them until the next balls deep pow day, which in Jackson Hole I would say will be Tuesday. Enjoy it, you could be up here with WMD and I "living the dream" at Bridger with less than 130" so far for the season!
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Most people know that no single weather event represents global warming, just like the big winter we are having in much of the west doesn't do the slightest thing to disprove the reality of anthropogenic climate change.
    oh, and believing in science doesn't make one a sensitive snowflake.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Seems the 17BBI storm has made its way east to the site of 17BBIJH

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    You have to remember that every nuance of the weather is irrefutable proof of impending climate apocalypse to a sensitive snowflake. No matter they have had over 400" so far this winter, they have perfect memories of "how it used to be" and what "normal" is. They know more from their couple decades of worldly existence than all the evidence of climate change contained in the geologic record ya know....

The weather is supposed to do what they want it to do now! Or else some high and mighty priest from the holy church of global warming saints must do something now! Mainly empty virtue signaling. That seems to placate them until the next balls deep pow day, which in Jackson Hole I would say will be Tuesday. Enjoy it, you could be up here with WMD and I "living the dream" at Bridger with less than 130" so far for the season!
    Ah yes the "it snowed and was cold today, therefore climate change doesn't exist" argument. Dumbass.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Most people know that no single weather event represents global warming, just like the big winter we are having in much of the west doesn't do the slightest thing to disprove the reality of anthropogenic climate change.
    Yeah I love how when somebody mentions climate change they are called a sensitive snowflake by some butt hurt climate denier. The best thing about science is it doesn't require belief. It's true whether you believe it or not.

And I love when an unusual weather event occurs the sensitive snowflake always turns to global warming... No doubt weather patterns are changing, but not every Fing weather event is due to global warming...

Good luck to JH residents as being w/o power that long really sucks...

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    The great thing about science: science doesn't care if you believe or not. The proof and facts are what they are.

Crazy localized storm. I hope everyone in Jackson is well and able to roll with the inconveniences in a safe place.

I like science and weather (always chaotic)

Just got another alert that the snake river canyon is closed and Teton pass will be closed until Sat 2/11!

I'm hunkered down at home- able to still work thnx to gotomypc - most of my east coast coworkers are working from home today too bc they're getting hit with a big storm
    skid luxury

Tone, you've been around Bridger for a long time. You haven't noticed how many more above freezing days we get now, and how rain is no longer uncommon in the mountains (like today and tonight's forecast)? In Montana the average temperature has increased 2 degrees this century according to the EPA. Or that our snowfall for the past 8 years is down more than 20%? ( http://m.outsidebozeman.com/?url=htt...referrer=#2522)

The last three years have been the warmest ever recorded globally, and this one probably will top those. You haven't noticed how spring melts come earlier every year (15 days earlier on average https://www.google.com/amp/billingsg...lient=safari)?

Dude, the climate is changing and it is going to continue to change and it is going to affect your skiing (and fishing and farming and...). If believing in science makes me a snowflake, let it snow!

And yes I was in Jackson in 1986 for that big storm. I was injured and in bed recovering so wasn't skiing, but we got a ton of snow and all the passes and the airport were closed. I remember it was warm but didn't remember rain as I couldn't leave the house. That was one storm that decade. Even still, rain in winter was unusual then. Not so much now. Wyoming's temperatures have increased too.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post

Just got another alert that the snake river canyon is closed and Teton pass will be closed until Sat 2/11!

I'm hunkered down at home- able to still work thnx to gotomypc - most of my east coast coworkers are working from home today too bc they're getting hit with a big storm
    That's pretty cool, if you think of it. Here you are in such a place having issues, and the largest metro area in the country is getting nuked right outside my window (no way I'm going out today), and yet, I'm guessing a lot of work is getting done.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post

I'm glad they gave up with pushing it out every few hours. Good thing working on the internet doesn't require an office.

Whether this was a product of climate change or not, who knows, who cares. It was an anomaly, anomalies happen. But to use the geological record as an evidence against climate change is wrong. In the last 800,000 years it hasn't been this high. Humans did not live 800,000 years ago. The earth doesn't care what we do, we aren't destroying the earth. We are destroying where we can live, and eventually, the climate will be unable to sustain our population. The earth will shake us off, and over millions of years normalize. But for the sake of self preservation, lets see where all this pesky CO2 comes from.

OCTANE:
    C18H18 + (O2+3.76N2) = CO2 + H2O + N2

CETANE:
    2 C16H34 + 49 O2 = 32 CO2 + 34 H2O

METHANE:
    CH4 + O2 = CO2 + H20

It's fairly simple stoichiometry that shows how in the last 200 or so years CO2 levels have risen. Generally, in our past, higher CO2 levels mean higher average temp. (Dinosaurs in eastern Montana, giant bugs, a lot of ferns) It's not rocket science to see where this is going, shit its not even rock science. I generally don't like to argue about this because it only adds validation that there are two sides, but come the fuck on. Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity. And though you may do really cool stuff on a pair of skis, your critical thinking skills and gullibility should be mocked.