Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Coffee in the BC

I'm thinking of buying some type of aeropress to give me some good coffee out when i'm backpacking because of how light and amazingly good they are. Also that way I won't have to drink any crappy starbucks instant coffee anymore. What do you guys do? Any other thing you bring out to have a bomb cup of coffee?

an aero press and or a bodum mug
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I have an Aeropress and Porlex hand grinder that actually fits into the hollow of the press plunger. I use it car camping often.

I essentially never take it backpacking because Via packets are serviceable enough for me and their convenience is just unbeatable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Chocolate covered beans....

Yeah, I've quit screwing around with actual coffee in the backcountry. Too much gear and too much dealing with grounds/cleaning/etc. when vias are good enough. I think there are a couple "boutique" sorts of coffee places that are doing something similar to the Vias; may be worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    Yeah, I've quit screwing around with actual coffee in the backcountry. Too much gear and too much dealing with grounds/cleaning/etc. when vias are good enough. I think there are a couple "boutique" sorts of coffee places that are doing something similar to the Vias; may be worth checking out.
    Is there a good double wall titanium or other lightweight coffee mug that people like or want to recommend?

To me the via's aren't very good but I agree that their simplicity makes up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    I have an Aeropress and Porlex hand grinder that actually fits into the hollow of the press plunger.
    This is how I roll, though I only only bring the grinder when car camping.

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    Too much gear and too much dealing with grounds/cleaning/etc. when vias are good enough.
    Really? The Aeropress isn't much gear and takes up minimal space all nested together, and it's practically self-cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Is there a good double wall titanium or other lightweight coffee mug that people like or want to recommend?
    They sell a super light titanium one at REI for like $60.... But the Yeti and Stanley stainless steel mugs are pretty light and are great for whiskey on the rocks.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

MSR Reactor 1.0L pot + Starbuck's Via is how we roll

I stick with the Vias. Best instant coffee I've had.

The 6 cup moka pot goes with the whiskey bottle in the hound's pack. If I need to go light, the aforementioned chocolate covered espresso beans keep the caffeine headache away.

Jetboil and Via packets.

Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    I stick with the Vias. Best instant coffee I've had.
    I just hate via packs. I can't drink em anymore. When I did do the via's with the Jetboil it wasn't even nice to have anymore. Tastes so burnt and grimy.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    I pack small bottles of cold brew coffee.
    I really like that idea, do you just keep them in like a bottle and they don't get hot or bad? Nice to have for sure. Probably just not when I'm up in Colorado or Wyoming when it's colder. You do this backpacking or just camping?

I bring greek coffee and boil it, three boils, in my msr reactor. Great tasting and no extra paraphernalia.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I bring greek coffee and boil it, three boils, in my msr reactor. Great tasting and no extra paraphernalia.
    Do you have no problem ever using your msr instead of a briki? Obviously it's not going to be as amazing, but still does the job better than a via?

Quote Originally Posted by Zennan View Post
    Tastes so burnt and grimy.
    Which Via? Taste is purely subjective, of course. I like the taste of Via Columbia (available in mass quantities from Costco) hot or cold.

Clever coffee dripper. I like these better than the standard pour over as you can make stronger more efficiently. Store the grounds in it, tape the lid shut and hang it on a carabiner if u don't have room. Adds very little weight. Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1486662844.042983.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  14.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Clever coffee dripper. I like these better than the standard pour over as you can make stronger more efficiently. Store the grounds in it, tape the lid shut and hang it on a carabiner if u don't have room. Adds very little weight.
    That's what I do, except with the melitta posted above. Less to pack and less labor vs aeropress. I'm digging my stanley nesting cups in the mini-kettle thing. Those cups are great if you want to stand on your aeropress (https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Camp-.../dp/B00H3377W6).

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    There are some great coffee roasters that bottle cold brew coffee. So easy to pack and ration for use while in the mountains, some have screw off tops that close nicely between sips. I buy the unadulterated brews and add my own creme when available, otherwise I sip em black.
    Interesting. All the coffee roasters round me bottle it, but in big heavy thick glass bottles. Not gonna lie, it is the best cold brew I've ever had though :P where about are those coffee breweries? Please say southwest Colorado!

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    That's what I do, except with the melitta posted above. Less to pack and less labor vs aeropress. I'm digging my stanley nesting cups in the mini-kettle thing. Those cups are great if you want to stand on your aeropress (https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Camp-.../dp/B00H3377W6).
    Really less labor? I feel like all you do with an aeropress is fill it up and leave it there to do its job.

coffee is the next thing i'm quitting.

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    coffee is the next thing i'm quitting.
    Why? All current evidence points to sensible levels coffee consumption being good for you.

because i haven't used reasonable amounts for years. i'm trying to move to green tea. i'm jumpy enough as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Zennan View Post
    Really less labor? I feel like all you do with an aeropress is fill it up and leave it there to do its job.
    Are you going to keep flogging your aeropress every time someone says they use something else?