Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Convenience, habit, or individual taste preferences. They're also an aftermarket item, Aerobie does not make or sell them directly, so a lot of people probably have no idea they even exist.

Via works for me. Lightweight, quick, decent taste. Two cups gets me up and headed down the trail.

IME you don't have to change the little paper filter in the aero press every time
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Mazama View Post
    Via works for me. Lightweight, quick, decent taste. Two cups gets me up and headed down the trail.
    I recently went on a hut trip and decided to give Via a try. Not a huge fan taste wise, no body whatsoever, but for convenience sake it was nice. Great for weight/space concerned people, but not great for coffee snobs. I guess it just depends how much effort you want to put into coffee and what level of quality you want. Everyone else brought an aeropress or used a percolator. They spent a lot more time in the kitchen cleaning and boiling but definitely drank better coffee.

Before this, we always travel with a jetboil and a big lexan french press. Works great, but cleaning up is a pain and it takes up a lot of space.

I'm a bit of a heathen for this thread. When backpacking I typically mix via, hot chocolate, and quick cook oats in a cup. Occasionally when it's cold I'll drink coffee or tea, but normally it's just plain water. And beer depending on the group.

Plain paper filter drip works at home and at work. Though I've been tempted to get a metal filter

I've been enjoying this thread since I'm nearly as OCD about coffee as I am about skiing and backpacking. I used to carry either a Porlex or a Hario mini mill with either an aeropress or a ti French press. I think I've even bike toured with a thermapen and a portable scale which, in retrospect, is completely absurd.

I think those are pretty decent options if you really can't do without coffee, but the last few years I've just been bringing really good tea. All you need is the leaves and a 16 oz nalgene. Cover the bottom of the bottle with tea and fill with hot water. Way less time fiddling and basically no time cleaning. (I really hate doing dishes, especially if I'm camped away from a water source). Plus, the result is going to be way better than the most ideal coffee extraction, which I rarely got.

Oolongs work especially well since they're rolled up into compact balls that take up minimal pack space and can better withstand being smushed by gear.

Wife and I did a couple trips sans coffee, substituting green tea or yerba mate, but switched back to Via (and herbal tea for evening). For those who don't like Via I suggest you try the different varieties of Via and tweak the amount of water. Via is the lightweight solution for good coffee (subjective of course). I cannot imagine carrying coffee grinder and coffee maker on a 7-day high route. Some of my mountain friends do high routes with uberlight packs, no stove, drink Via cold. I've tried it but decided that a 1.0L Reactor + fuel is usually worth the weight. (I'm good about forecasting fuel use and rationing per fuel my own consumption tests.)

There's also this option:

https://nootrobox.com/go-cubes

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    I'm a bit of a heathen for this thread. When backpacking I typically mix via, hot chocolate, and quick cook oats in a cup. Occasionally when it's cold I'll drink coffee or tea, but normally it's just plain water. And beer depending on the group.

Plain paper filter drip works at home and at work. Though I've been tempted to get a metal filter
    Not joking I've learned the metal filter actually works really well for aeropress. Basically it filters a lot better than paper filters since it is not as porous (not everyone thinks that though) but lots of coffee shops actually use metal filters sometimes instead, or if they don't you can request it. Plus super easy and nice to take with you since it's the easiest thing on earth to clean as well!

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Let's compare. The following cancel each other out:

- boiling water
    - pouring water into whatever you're brewing with
    - disposing of grounds and filter

For Aeropress, I see a few added steps/considerations:

- plunge/pull
    - clean off plunger (or do it at home later)
    - perhaps slightly more important to get everything situated on a sturdy base
    - screw/unscrew the filter cap
    - more pieces to pack/unpack
    - Not readily clipped to outside of a pack

All this is really splitting hairs though. If the extra incremental effort involved in aeropress vs melitta is a deal-breaker for anyone, they have bigger issues. Personal preference, but the assessment stands that melitta is marginally less hassle vs aeropress. I have both and like both. I use a Hario V60 at home for my daily driver even though I think Aeropress tastes a bit better. Extra setup/cleaning with aeropress is the reason. I want to get up and get to work in as little time possible. Hario saves me like a minute on average. I love that minute.
    Oh ya I understand that for sure now... and I agree if those few moments are that important, well ya you said it pretty well lol. Ya that minute though is one minute faster than I get to enjoy my coffee and that minute is nice in the BC for sure my man!

Update to my Aeropress jonghood. We bought the stainless filters per Dantheman and they absolutely rock. Took it on our recent trip to JH and used it for a week exclusively. Coffee is awesome but it is a lot of work for sure especially while trying to get the family ready for the slopes. We used the upside down brewing method...it makes me feel like I am getting a bolder brew but it also adds a step to the brewing process.

We need to do some little backpacking trips to test it vs the via's simplicity and try some different via flavors.

I think we will bring it backpacking for the flavor fix and bring some via's as well but need some field test with the family in tow to figure this out.

Not to harsh on the aeropress love but I use a finum brewing basket (https://www.amazon.com/Finum-Brewing.../dp/B000I68NCS) for low-fat camping. I think it makes a pretty good cup and couldn't be any simpler, or probably any cheaper for real coffee. I boil water either with a MSR Windburner or dragonfly. Packs inside your cup. For home use I still do the melitta single-cup drip and for work the GSI commuter mug is hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Coffee is awesome but it is a lot of work for sure especially while trying to get the family ready for the slopes.
    Yeah, making one cup is easy, but more than one kinda turns it into a chore. Thankfully, my wife prefers tea to coffee and one cup of strong aeropress brew is plenty for me. I'd probably have to switch to a pour-over system otherwise. Letter writing campaign to Aerobie requesting a multi-cup version?

X-post from the PR espresso thread: http://www.staresso.com/

Hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Update to my Aeropress jonghood. We bought the stainless filters per Dantheman and they absolutely rock. Took it on our recent trip to JH and used it for a week exclusively. Coffee is awesome but it is a lot of work for sure especially while trying to get the family ready for the slopes. We used the upside down brewing method...it makes me feel like I am getting a bolder brew but it also adds a step to the brewing process.

We need to do some little backpacking trips to test it vs the via's simplicity and try some different via flavors.

I think we will bring it backpacking for the flavor fix and bring some via's as well but need some field test with the family in tow to figure this out.
    That's awesome to know thanks for the update! I myself am planning on buying one before my next trips I'm taking backpacking and traveling!

By the way if anyone is looking into getting a really nice home brewing setup going I currently have one of my favorites and it is way easier to use than most other pour over methods like a V60 or Chemex.

I am using a Capresso grinding machine, cheap and grinds real nice, easy to clean and use with a variety of different coarse levels. For the water pot I am using a coffee gator that has the temperature gauge on the lid so you can just heat up the water on your stove to the perfect temperature so it blooms the coffee grind well. My actual pour over I am using is the kalita Wave. It brews similar to a V60, but doesn't every really have any problems with leaks or anything.

Love the setup and its simplicity, ease of use and how easy it is as well to clean. I don't have a scale yet to measure my beans but honestly so far not really been having any problems with it being too watery or to strong. Maybe wasting a bit of coffee grind though by not saturating it to its fullest, but hopefully not! I don't think I am at least yet...

Just saw this option: http://pebbleshoo.com/minipresso-gr-review/

Looks interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Brewing takes 60 seconds max vs. 4 minutes with a french press so there isn't time for significant heat loss.
    I wouldn't use 60 seconds max as a hard and fast rule. I've done a couple of 10 minute brews in my AP that were absolutely fantastic. Certain beans really shine with longer brew times in the AP. Shitty beans will just taste shittier if left in there longer.

I usually take my AP camping with me but I'm mostly car camping. If I'm making more than 1 cup then I use the jetboil FP, it works pretty well but I usually prefer the cleaner taste that the AP + paper filter give.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    I wouldn't use 60 seconds max as a hard and fast rule. I've done a couple of 10 minute brews in my AP that were absolutely fantastic. Certain beans really shine with longer brew times in the AP. Shitty beans will just taste shittier if left in there longer.
    Wow, ten minutes? Interesting. 60 seconds isn't a "rule" for me. I just generally use the steel filter (much finer mesh than a FP mesh) and a very fine grind so extraction happens fast. Surface area being inversely and exponentially related to particle size and all that.

In other news we bought a couple of these GSI coffee flasks. 7.9 oz empty. Probably light enough for me backpack with. I like to sip on coffee all day. Drinking a whole cup in the morning gives me the shakes. Review pending.

https://www.rei.com/product/109956/g...ottle-17-fl-oz

yeah, give a try next time you get some quality beans. I read something once from Matt Perger (previous world barista champ) where he said something along the lines of "you really can't over extract good beans". Or something like that.

Some of my best, smoothest brews from the AP have been +5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    yeah, give a try next time you get some quality beans. I read something once from Matt Perger (previous world barista champ) where he said something along the lines of "you really can't over extract good beans". Or something like that.

Some of my best, smoothest brews from the AP have been +5 minutes.
    Do you do the upside down method to keep it from leaking out the bottom? Or go for the vacuum seal?

upside down for sure. no premature leakage happening in my house!