Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by dubcohn View Post
    Selling a pair of 185 cm Nordica El Capos. 107 mm underfoot. 25 m turn radius. Good condition, only drilled once, no core shots, no edge cracks, good top sheets.
    I jumped on this thread to recommend the El Capos. I've been using them for exactly what the OP described; chasing kids through tight trees and carving groomers back to the lift. They work well when I'm without kids as well. I got the next size down, 178 maybe, they measure more like 181, been happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by PJG View Post
    I jumped on this thread to recommend the El Capos. I've been using them for exactly what the OP described; chasing kids through tight trees and carving groomers back to the lift. They work well when I'm without kids as well. I got the next size down, 178 maybe, they measure more like 181, been happy with them.
    Hey PJG & dubcohn,
    This ski sounds interesting but reviews make them seem kinda ambivalent, i.e. they work for you or they don't. How soft are those tips, like on a scale from 2007 Volkl Katana to Elan 777 (overcooked noodle that disintegrates upon touch)? I am not a charger, but I do initiate turns closer to the shovels. Would I have any control on firmer groomers or are these more of a noodle?

I don't think they're noodles at all. I have no problem driving them from the front. I ski forward on groomers and have no issues. I think they're pretty sweet on groomers for an all mountain ski. Having said that, I ski in the PNW and haven't had them on really hard snow or bullet proof ice, so I'm not sure how they'd do there. The only time I've experience the shovels folding, as I believe blister described it, is when I'm charging through deeper chop. In those instances I wish they were stouter, but maybe that's the trade-off for a ski that's still fun when 'charging' the trees with the kidos. Hope that helps.

PM'd, I'm interested in these if OP isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by STLHD View Post
    I have a pair of Praxis MVPs (193, but they ski wicked short). $125 shipped. Let me know if you want more details.

I don't think I am TGR enough to ski 193... So taking a soft pass on them.

I buzzarded the MVPs... bump

I also don't think they are very soft (i.e. definitely not an overcooked noodle). I originally bought them as a quiver of one and have skied them in every condition imaginable in Colorado. I have never had any problems skiing them on groomers or refrozen spring slush. But, similar to PJG, I haven't skied them on bulletproof ice either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi_Lee View Post
    Hey PJG & dubcohn,
    This ski sounds interesting but reviews make them seem kinda ambivalent, i.e. they work for you or they don't. How soft are those tips, like on a scale from 2007 Volkl Katana to Elan 777 (overcooked noodle that disintegrates upon touch)? I am not a charger, but I do initiate turns closer to the shovels. Would I have any control on firmer groomers or are these more of a noodle?

Still looking. Post-Cyber-Monday Bump!

There’s a pair of 184 Devastators on GS

Thanks SJ. He actually contacted me. I don't think I want a full rocker ski. Guess I am pickier than I thougth.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool1080s View Post
    You need a pair of these in the 186.. but good luck finding a pair... it simply crushes what you are looking for: http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...ignol-s6-186cm
    Long term update: ^^^^This suggestion was so perfectly spot on it's spooky (I actually ended up with a pair of 2013s in 181, but reading indicates that the actual difference in running length between the 2011-2012 186 and the 2013 181 was nil). Sooo stoked I found a pair. Now I'm terrified I'm going to break them!

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Long term update: ^^^^This suggestion was so perfectly spot on it's spooky (I actually ended up with a pair of 2013s in 181, but reading indicates that the actual difference in running length between the 2011-2012 186 and the 2013 181 was nil). Sooo stoked I found a pair. Now I'm terrified I'm going to break them!
    Have you skiid them? How are they? Are they the hype still after all these years and newer excellent skiis?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Enjoy them man!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Have you skiid them? How are they? Are they the hype still after all these years and newer excellent skiis?
    If you never tried a pair, they were such cool skis. They did a lot of things well and were a lot of fun while doing it. IMO, the devastator is not a better replacement and there really isn't anything else newer that I've seen that both feels as loose and pivoty when running flat yet has as much bite when put on edge. They are hands down my favorite EC tree ski.

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    About 20 days so far. I have not done extensive comparison, quite the opposite in fact. I'm not claiming they are the ultimate "quiver of one" ski, but they are simply perfect for what I said I was looking for in the OP:

"I'm looking for a good everyday jack-of-all-trades type ski that can carve a groomer, charge pow and crud reasonably hard, and is maneuverable enough that I can stay on my feet when the kiddo wants me to follow him through super tight trees that no one who isn't 4 feet tall and weighs 50 lbs has any business skiing into."

That said, there does seem to be consensus that no true replacement currently exists: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...he-2011-Sickle Hence my fear of breakage, which I've been known to do in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    They are hands down my favorite EC tree ski.
    Brighton should buy the design from Rossi and make them as they're own branded ski. Just the perfect ski for that place.

It’s funny that Rossi stopped making the best ski they ever made... or pretty much par for the course.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    It’s funny that Rossi stopped making the best ski they ever made... or pretty much par for the course.
    Agreed on par for the course. The Soul series came out the year after they stopped the Sickle (2013). Financially they made the right call.......