Devastator mount point

Hopefully I'm in the right forum...

Considering buying a 184 4frnt Devastator. I'm a 40-year West Coast directional skier. Quick question... I read somewhere that -2 cm behind the line is a good spot to mount for my type of skiing, though the Dev is already somewhat directional for a twin tip. Any advice anyone can give is appreciated.

Thanks!

I am 6' 175lbs and ski 184 devs on the line. I do jump off stuff, but am used to big mountain, metal chargers with rearward mounts (xxl's, bodacious, etc). I called 4frnt and got matt sterbenz on the phone to ask the same. I went on the line after considering -2 and love em there. More upright, but still somewhat driving stance than i'm used to, but they only lack in float after it starts getting pretty deep and i have my powder skis out anyways.

If no powder skis and you want these to cover that: -2 prob works great, i don't know

Don't nsee a lot of powder or have skis fir deep days already: mount on the line

I thought twin tips were for throwing up a rooster tail so guys couldn't get past you and steal your line........

Quote Originally Posted by chewski View Post
    I am 6' 175lbs and ski 184 devs on the line. I do jump off stuff, but am used to big mountain, metal chargers with rearward mounts (xxl's, bodacious, etc). I called 4frnt and got matt sterbenz on the phone to ask the same. I went on the line after considering -2 and love em there. More upright, but still somewhat driving stance than i'm used to, but they only lack in float after it starts getting pretty deep and i have my powder skis out anyways.

If no powder skis and you want these to cover that: -2 prob works great, i don't know

Don't nsee a lot of powder or have skis fir deep days already: mount on the line
    Great info. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    I thought twin tips were for throwing up a rooster tail so guys couldn't get past you and steal your line........
    That's the weird thing about the Devs. Almost a full twin tip in the back, but they produce very little rooster tail spray.

To the OP, I have my 184 cm Devs mounted -1cm from rec'd. 5'9" 150lbs. Because they measure short (total length is about 181.5 cm straight pull), I think mounting back a little bit makes sense. YMMV of course, plenty of people seem to like their Devs on the line.

In a perfect world, I want 4Frnt to make the Devs in a size between 184 cm and 194 cm. A 189 cm Dev (probably 186.5 cm true straight pull) mounted at -6 cm from true center would be my dream unicorn ski as a Wasatch resort daily driver.

I skied them last year about 6 days on the line, and remounted them this year -2cm. I'm an old directional skier, and -2 fits my style better. They're not my powder ski, but I think the tips float a little better with a rearward mount.

I am directional, and just went OTL when I bought my 184s this past Fall ($280 shipped from STP). If I did it again I'd probably go -1, but it's tough to imagine them skiing better, they are fantastic overall.

Devastator mount point

I'm 6'3", 185 and OTL on 194's. Never felt the need to mount back but I like a more forward stance and the 194 still leaves a lot of ski in front of you on the line.

I'd def go for a 189-192 length instead of the 194
    Last edited by benfjord; 02-05-2017 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    I am directional, and just went OTL when I bought my 184s this past Fall ($280 shipped from STP). If I did it again I'd probably go -1, but it's tough to imagine them skiing better, they are fantastic overall.
    Ya I'm now thinking -1. Good info from all. Thanks!

Smokin deal, btw. Nice find!

Anyone have any feedback on the Marker Griffon Schizo binding? That might be my solution and I found a good deal on some at the same place that has the Devs. I'm slightly concerned about their weight, though.

I own both 194 and 184, highly recommend -2cm mount

Bump...

Any other 194 owners mounted on or behind the line? Picked up a pair last spring and got about 10 days on them in a variety of conditions, mounted on the line and feel comfortable there except when the entire length of the ski is engaged.. Basically either in pow or in full laid out carves I feel like I have to squat super low and drive off my heels a bit. Considering going back 1.5cm just looking for a bit more input before doing so.. only backwards skiing I do is messing around on groomers
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

I have both 184 and 194 mounted -1, I mounted the 194 at -1 because I liked the 184 there. Never tried the ski on the line so can’t really comment further.

I am interested in this as well. I have a pair of 194's that I got on super closeout a couple of years ago and am just getting around to mounting them. From what I have read here so far, I am going to go at least 1 cm back. Any other data points would be useful. Also, I thought I read somewhere that 4FRNT recommended NO de-tuning of tip/tail but cannot not find any reference to that now. What say ye about that? Thanks.

My 184 devs are on the line, and I dig them there, but I enjoy skiing switch from time to time and have other skis for pow, so YMMV.
    In terms of detune, just ski them as is and detune as you see fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Devastator mount point

^This on tuning, try as is and bring pocket gummy stone. FWIW, Unlike my rocker camber rocker type skis that I detune aggressively at the contact points to the tips and tails, I keep these edges fairly uniform but a little duller towards the tips and tails, because it’s truly a full rocker skis. I’ve found I don’t like either the 184 or 194 to be really sharp if the snow is at all soft, and if it’s really firm I’ll use a different ski.

Mine came rediculously sharp and the more I hit the entire edge with a gummi stone the better they skied. At first they were retarded ly locked in off piste. Started off just hitting the tips and tails a bit.. after day 5 of lightly hitting the entire edge they started to feel right. And still had rediculous grip on hard snow, definitely drinking the reflect tech Kool aid these days

Most of the Reflect Tech skis ski best on the line with a centered stance. If you’re a racer type how can’t get off your shins then -1 is probably good, but you lose a little of the pivoty goodness IMO.

Haven’t skied the Devastators since I was on a pre-prod pair though so YMMV on the newest ones.

Im down with the centered stance.. I guess to specify my question:

Does the 'hoji' formula for the renegades also apply to the devastators, basically (bootsole-287)/2 to determine mount point

I’m on the rec line with EHPs both sizes and 196 Rens if that is helpful.

I ski Hoji, Ren, and Raven on Hoji recommend line and love them all. The devastator however felt horrible on the line. Someone earlier mentioned that they had to get super low to ski them. I felt the same way. I put my 184 devestators -2 and they ski great. 194 at -1.5 and they're fine there. I did feel like the 194 was considerably better on the line than the 184.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by rip View Post
    Im down with the centered stance.. I guess to specify my question:

Does the 'hoji' formula for the renegades also apply to the devastators, basically (bootsole-287)/2 to determine mount point
    I don’t think it will work because the radius is on a different spot on the ski if I’m not mistaken.

I'm a old school directional skier. I ski 4frnt rens 192 modified from 196, ravens 190, and devs 194 all way behind the line (~27-28 inches end of heel to end of tail). (looking for some last year hoji's to try...)

For the devs, this is about -7 to -8 cm behind the line typically, but I do move them forward or back depending on what I am feeling. If one is not going to use for skins, demo bindings are great. Not so much to continuously change your mount point, but more to dial your mount point in for your preferred mount. I use the tyrolia demos (din @12). They can be found for $100+ on sale.

1st mount: I started the devs on the recommended -2 and after 2 runs moved the demo all the way back. Way better for me. 2nd mount: remounted where my current front mount is just in front from of my previous most back mount. I got them where they can hit the threshold of 'too far back'. They typically stay in the middle.

I like the devs a lot for in a lot of conditions. They are bad ass on groomers and seriously "lock in" for me. Not very good for moguls or tight stuff.