Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Rocky Mountain Underground is massively dissapointing.

Last year I sent in a letter to Backcountry Mag which won the letter of the month in the 2016 Gear Guide issue. For winning that I received a pair of Rocky Mountain Underground Carbon Apostle skis.
    I'd never won anything before and was super stoked. An added bonus was my son needed new skis and I really couldn't afford them. Like I said, huge stoke. Anyway, when I contacted RMU to express my thanks and give them my info all was cool. "We'll get them right out." A week later I got the bindings and called to get the tracking info for the skis. Again, I heard, "No problem, we'll get them right out." Uhm, OK, thanks, I appreciate it. Another week passes. A third week passes. Now I realize they are giving me skis which I hugely appreciate but comon, please send them. I don't want to be a dick and keep pestering them but they don't seem all that interested in actually sending them out. Finally, after a month and a third phone call, they get them out. Awesome, all is good.

Unfortunately, after three days on them, my son gets hurt and his season is over. He did complain about them being very hooky on anything but pure powder but I figured he just had to get used to them. Forward to this year. He still says they ski horrible so I put them on the bench. A straight edge & feeler gauge reveals a .931mm concave in the base, almost a full millimeter. No way the base can ever be made even remotely flat. definitely explains the hookiness.
    I call RMU, and explain the situation and they ask for pictures, which I send. They say they'll get back to me in a day or two but will definitely take care of it. Four days later I call back to remind them. They say they sent the pictures to their factory and someone will get back to me. Another week goes by and a feeling of deja vu is hitting. I call back and speak to Mike. I explain that I don't want to be a dick and still appreciate the skis but can he please take care of it. He responds that they're 2011 skis (that he gave away just last year), they were giveaways, and screw it, I'm not covering them. I tried to reason with him, saying they're still defective RMU skis, regardless of whether they were givaways or not. No deal.
    I've never dealt with a company that was so good at turning a positive into a huge negative as RMU.
    Last edited by Roxtar; 02-14-2017 at 03:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Obviously you can't expect full warranty on a prize.

But it is pretty stupid of a company to give away a few years old, shoddy product. In would imagine the cost of a pair of skis more than makes up for the marketing from the mention in the magazine and your word of mouth.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Obviously you can't expect full warranty on a prize.
    Why not?

If I buy a raffle ticket and win some skis, should I expect a warranty?

If I win a new Ford on the Price is Right, should I expect it to include the normal manufacturer's warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post

If I buy a raffle ticket and win some skis, should I expect a warranty?

If I win a new Ford on the Price is Right, should I expect it to include the normal manufacturer's warranty?
    yes and yes.

I just can't imagine a company acting like this. The whole point of donating product for a giveaway is to promote your company.
    Seems pretty counter productive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Why not?
    You didn't buy the warranty.
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

So then what did he buy?

Nothing.
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

No doubt there is some legal precedent covering this. Ten to one he's legally entitled as much as a retail customer. But, it's stupid it got this far. I don't care how strapped this company is for cash, this is dumb. As mentioned above, the whole point of letting your product used as a promotion, is publicity. And, this is now, very bad publicity. Just fuckng pick a new pair off the rack, say, excuse us, and suck it up. Now it's here in a forum on the intawebz. Bad move. I mean, what's the damage to their bottom line? A few hundred?

I try to bite my tongue whenever the subject of RMU comes up but I am a skier and not a diplomat so here goes. I had a pair RMU North Shore a few years back. In fact, a local shop owner had set me up with them to me in exchange for being a brand ambassador. I ski them for the year and if i like them i can have them for cost at the end os the season and if not i can just give them back. I ski lots , know lots of skiers, often talk about skiing etc., buddy figured I'd be perfect to spread the word on a rising brand. Anyways I get the skis and day 1 is at Shames in deep soft snow on 35 to 40 degree slopes. No prob with the skis, I even liked them but frankly, just about any skis would have been good on that day.

Unfortunately, the skis did nothing but disappoint from then on. Lower angle powder, variable conditions, hill skiing, steep consequence filled situations, everywhere and everything i skied from that day on those skis let me down. Not only did they let me down, but i grew to consider them a liability. Zero torsional rigidity, soft to a farcical degree, they didn't initiate nor finish turns well etc. etc. etc. etc Just fill in your own descriptors of bad ski performance and it applies to those things. There is simply nothing even remotely positive that can be said about those skis. It's almost as though someone sat down and purposefully designed and made the worst ski possible. Complete and total pieces of sh@t. I get new skis every year and never in my skiing life have I found a pair of skis so offensive. Zero redeeming qualities.

So a month or so later, I walk back into the store and tell the shop owner, sorry, I can't keep skiing these things, they are garbage. In fact I go on a rant on how horrible they are. He sees I'm very serious about this matter, apologizes, takes them back. He gets me onto something else. Cool. A couple months later I walk into the shop to shoot the breeze and lo and behold the RMU rep for B.C. is in the store. He gets wind that I'm the guy that returned the skis. He starts trying to set me with another pair. Even insinuates that they would be totally free. No way dude, and I go off on another rant about how horrible they are. To this day I can't even look at an RMU sticker without feeling my blood pressure rise and going on a rant (much like I am doing now). They are just that bad.

While my story is not one of shoddy customer service like the OP's, I am agreeing with his son in the sense that RMU skis are horrible. The single biggest pieces of garbage I have ever skied on. If you are considering buying a pair of RMU's may I suggest you simply duct tape a couple 2 x 4's to your feet because it's going to amount to the same thing.

RMU = complete and total sh*t! Forget their crappy customer service, the real issue at play here is the fact that there skis are beyond bad. In fact they did the OP a favour by not replacing them or otherwise making amends. At least this way your son can get on something that is not horrible to the point of being dangerous.
    Last edited by Angle Parking; 02-05-2017 at 07:03 PM.

heh I came here to say that a pair of Professors I got to demo for half a day were planky turds..

surprising enough we do not have a yearly RMU fanboi thread

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    I try to bite my tongue whenever the subject of RMU comes up but I am a skier and not a diplomat so here goes. I had a pair RMU North Shore a few years back. In fact, a local shop owner had set me up with them to me in exchange for being a brand ambassador. I ski them for the year and if i like them i can have them for cost at the end os the season and if not i can just give them back. I ski lots , know lots of skiers, often talk about skiing etc., buddy figured I'd be perfect to spread the word on a rising brand. Anyways I get the skis and day 1 is at Shames in deep soft snow on 35 to 40 degree slopes. No prob with the skis, I even liked them but frankly, just about any skis would have been good on that day.

Unfortunately, the skis did nothing but disappoint from then on. Lower angle powder, variable conditions, hill skiing, steep consequence filled situations, everywhere and everything i skied from that day on those skis let me done. Not only did they let me done, but i grew to consider them a liability. Zero torsional rigidity, soft to a farcical degree, they didn't initiate nor finish turns well etc. etc. etc. etc Just fill in your own descriptors of bad ski performance and it applies to those things. There I simply nothing even remotely positive that can be said about those skis. It's almost as though someone sat down and purposefully designed and made the worst ski possible. Complete and total pieces of sh@t. I get new skis every year and never in my skiing life have I found a pair of skis so offensive. Zero redeeming qualities.

So a month or so later, I walk back into the store and tell the shop owner, sorry, I can't keep skiing these things, they are garbage. In fact I go on a rant on how horrible they are. He sees I'm very serious about this matter, apologizes, takes them back. He gets me onto something else. Cool. A couple months later I walk into the shop to shoot the breeze and lo and behold the RMU rep for B.C. is in the store. He gets wind that I'm the guy that returned the skis. He starts trying to set me with another pair. Even insinuates that they would be totally free. No way dude, and I go off on another rant about how horrible they are. To this day I can't even look at an RMU sticker without feeling my blood pressure rise and going on a rant (much like I am doing now). They are just that bad.

While my story is not one of shoddy customer service like the OP's, I am agreeing with his son in the sense that RMU skis are horrible. The single biggest pieces of garbage I have ever skied on. If you are considering buying a pair of RMU's may I suggest you simply duct tape a couple 2 x 4's to your feet because it's going to amount to the same thing.

RMU = complete and total sh*t! Forget their crappy customer service, the real issue at play here is the fact that there skis are beyond bad. In fact they did the OP a favour by not replacing them or otherwise making amends. At least this way your son can get on something that is not horrible to the point of being dangerous.
    sounds like a bad tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Suncloud View Post
    sounds like a bad tune.
    Maybe he could hum a few bars to be sure?

I'll be in your neighborhood in a few days.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    heh I came here to say that a pair of Professors I got to demo for half a day were planky turds..

surprising enough we do not have a yearly RMU fanboi thread
    Same. Demoed the north shores. Hooky as fuck. Planky turds indeed

cool
    great base, needs a refresh

That's too bad. Are they not made in the Neversummer factory?
    Base grind should fix a concave base in a pass or 3.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

What length is your kid skiing? If he can step up to a 188, 99 underfoot, I have a pair of Bro Models, minty base and 1.5 mounts, that are his for shipping. Cuz that's the way Pat ran PM Gear, and that flame will continue to burn...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Base grind should fix a concave base in a pass or 3.
    If its concave by almost a mm, and base material depth is 1.2mm. Not looking good...

They used to be, but not any more. They moved their production to Quebec, same factory J Skis uses (and I think the original PM Gear skis). Don't know exactly when the switch happened so dunno what factory built OP's skis.

Current NS built ski brands are Icelantic, Fatypus, and High Society.

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Just here to say that I got a couple year old pair of RMU SCRM's that I really like. Never had a problem. Actually impressed how these skis take a pretty good hit and keep ticking. Different ski than the OP but I've been digging them for inbounds days around CO.

If they feel "hooky" did you try detuning them?

Free skis? And you bitch about them? Just sell them and move on.

You say you won Letter of the Month for Gear Guide 2016 Issue?
    Assume you are talking about a magazine?
    You should get them involved.
    They awarded prize, and will have more clout with RMU than just you do.

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Free skis? And you bitch about them? Just sell them and move on.
    Well, they did send him a several-years-old model that was completely unsellable due to a massively concave base. Seems like RMU decided they just didn't want to honor their original contest prize and dicked around until they had a ski they needed to trash anyway. I'd be pretty pissed too. Pretty shitty move by RMU imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Well, they did send him a several-years-old model that was completely unsellable due to a massively concave base. Seems like RMU decided they just didn't want to honor their original contest prize and dicked around until they had a ski they needed to trash anyway. I'd be pretty pissed too. Pretty shitty move by RMU imo.
    I won a monthly giveaway from Backcountry magazine that was supposed to include skis, bindings, boots, etc. They even emailed me saying that I won. Day later, they said there was a mistake and I just won the weekly prize (which there was no info on their page about) They sent me some gloves, a hat, and a shitty old cloud veil hoody. Did I cry about it on the web? No. I just don't buy or read their magazine anymore. Moved on.