Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    I've always been impressed by the crossover because the few times I've tried I've toppled over.
    Maybe give it another shot the next time you transition in a steeper spot? That's where the crossover for your uphill ski really shines, IMHO. You can keep your uphill hand on your uphill pole for both skin rips, you have more space on the downhill side, and you don't have to lean downhill (or weight your downhill pole) to remove your uphill skin.

I'm by no means an expert at transitions (or anything touring-related), but I'm slowly learning. And I don't ski enough, so I have to consciously think about what I'm doing and how I'm doing it or I'll be terribly inefficient. Right now, the most inefficient thing I have going is the stupid removable tongue in the Vulcan (which I've mostly abandoned) and my fitness.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Don't take anything I say too literally. I love snacks when ski touring, gummy bears and dark chocolate preferably. I also post hole occasionally.

I've said it before, but i'm a lot faster using the cheat sheets. Mostly because if my wife didn't use them, I'd always be pulling her skins apart.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    I think your list needs some revising or clarificaion. Here's my perspective on a few of your points.

I post hole occasionally in steep technical areas for short pitches (how the hell else are you supposed to do that WITHOUT postholing?) Perhaps you meant no postholing "in the skin track"?

Never put the back of your pack in the snow. pffffft, I do this all of the time with a good waterproof toploading pack in dry snow (maybe you meant "front" where the straps are?)

I have nothing against trannys, they are people too.

I occasionally kneel in the snow, no big deal with waterproof pants and I'm always wearing kneepads.

Good thread. One thing I will add is keeping some kick wax in your pack for approaches/exits on flattish or rolling terrain. Waaayyyy easier than taking skins on and off and much more efficient glide.
    How do you apply the kick wax?
    Do you have to do it in one direction only?

And does it glide well for the downhill?

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I've said it before, but i'm a lot faster using the cheat sheets. Mostly because if my wife didn't use them, I'd always be pulling her skins apart.
    😁

Bro, does your wife even lift?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    How do you apply the kick wax?
    Do you have to do it in one direction only?

And does it glide well for the downhill?

Just the same as my xc skis. Crayon it on then smooth it with a cork, direction doesn't matter. This method works best at sub-freezing temperatures, otherwise waxing can get pretty tricky / messy.

The dreaded transitioning for two...
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Just the same as my xc skis. Crayon it on then smooth it with a cork, direction doesn't matter. This method works best at sub-freezing temperatures, otherwise waxing can get pretty tricky / messy.
    Thanks. And will the skis glide well on downhill?

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Thanks. And will the skis glide well on downhill?
    Yes, as long as you choose the right wax for conditions and don't over apply, they will glide very well.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    YMMV, but I'm very, very inflexible and even I can grab the tail without a crossover. For me, it's more about hip strength (glute med, TFL) required to kick your heel up and out (so you can reach your tail without bending over much) than it is about flexibility. But it's just easier (for me) to cross the uphill ski if it's not totally flat. Really not trying to diminish your experience -- if you can't do it, then who am I to say you should be able to! I'm just reporting my experience as an incredibly inflexible person. (Like, I work on stretching daily, but every doc/PT I've seen has said I'm the least flexible person they've ever met.)

But yeah, if the skins are super sticky, plant the tail and finish the rip. I always feel like a JONG doing it, but it does work.
    One of my big gotchas - medial glute strength, and more so after a climb

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    The dreaded transitioning for two...
    LOLOL watched this in a parking lot today, two people WITH cheat sheets on a Pomoca skin. Plus full GTX on a blue bird inversion day.

Also 3PinGrin, the front of the backpack is the part that faces away from you. The back is the back panel that sits against your back. Source: employee for one of the biggest backpack brands.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I love snacks when ski touring, gummy bears and dark chocolate preferably. I also post hole occasionally.
    Let me guess, long walks in the woods, too? I've seen your Tinder profile I think.

Since the OP is a splitboarder like me, here's some specialized tips that haven't been covered.

Tour with skiers on fat skis, following a track set with narrow skis is hard.

Tour with skiers who transition like skimo racers but are patient (these are rare). Then, when they're done transitioning they can hand you bindings, grab your water, etc.

Buy hard boots. Go faster uphill, but realize transitions are now slower cuz you have to jam plate bindings in and out of your pack. Quick skier friends are even more helpful now. You wanna transition fast with hard boots because you're feet get cold faster.

Enter a skimo race to really make you want speedy transitions. Get smoked by tweens, tech bros, even seventy year olds. Beat some people to the top, then watch most of them ski away as you're banging ice off your inside edges.

At this point trying a pair of really light skis will be tempting. Don't.

Have fun!

Seriously, not much to add other than learn to split ski well, and hard boots are a hell of a lot more efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by claymond View Post
    Since the OP is a splitboarder like me, here's some specialized tips that haven't been covered.

Tour with skiers on fat skis, following a track set with narrow skis is hard.

Tour with skiers who transition like skimo racers but are patient (these are rare). Then, when they're done transitioning they can hand you bindings, grab your water, etc.

Buy hard boots. Go faster uphill, but realize transitions are now slower cuz you have to jam plate bindings in and out of your pack. Quick skier friends are even more helpful now. You wanna transition fast with hard boots because you're feet get cold faster.

Enter a skimo race to really make you want speedy transitions. Get smoked by tweens, tech bros, even seventy year olds. Beat some people to the top, then watch most of them ski away as you're banging ice off your inside edges.

At this point trying a pair of really light skis will be tempting. Don't.

Have fun!
    lolololololol
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.