Thread: São Paulo

São Paulo

I might be headed there on business. Anyone been there? What's it like?
    I haven't been there or Brazil.

I thought they were running out of water, but then it vanished from the news.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

one of my favorite big cities i've ever been to.
    Brazilians know how to have a good time.
    great food, friendly people, its a big city though, pretty good subway and public transport system, driving there was like a video game, stay out of the bad neighborhoods.
    get an acai bowl

Awesome food, but overall I thought it was one of the more boring large cities I've been to. Not much to see. Nightlife isn't my thing, so can't speak there. Awesome people, though.

São Paulo

If I go it would be with my wife and 5 year old so it wouldn't be some wild trip full of nightlife until dawn. Cool to hear the food and people are good.

I also wouldn't mind stopping in Rio while down there.

Been years since last trip but spent some time down south. economy took a dump for my industry so I'm out of touch

Overall great city, love the people and culture but the economic divide is big. Have and have nots. Great food, safe unless your off the track, traffic sucks, and depending on time/trip it's better than stick to one base or all your time is spent moving. Get out of town if you can, country is beautiful, coast or the hills.

Spent 3 days at a hotel outside the airport waiting for a new 777 to pick us up, 3rd times the charm, nice sitting by the pool though sipping drinks

Memory trip i show up sat morn at hotel from 2 weeks in Argentina, worn out so chill in bar watching soccer match of local powerhouse, game over so head to grab a bite and the team shows up on a bus to eat/stay, dam they can drink. Next morn nursing the hang at the pool solo and they set up the Miss Brazil swim shoot photo shoot/tv appearance, that was nice way to spend the day. The evening gown event was very nice also. Pleasurable weekend to recharge.

I spent a few weeks in and out of São Paulo, about 5 years ago. I was staying with locals, but remember being pleasantly surprised, with beautiful little tree lined neighbourhoods, parks, and street culture. The traffic is beyond belief. Lots of great beaches, islands, and jungle adventures North of Ubatuba.

Been to Rio/Sao Palo for 10 days. Be careful not to get into the wrong area in any of those cities. Mafioso on a grande scale.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Since I've never been to South America, I'm brainstorming add ons to the trip, i.e. flying to Lima for a few days to see Machu Picchu or Brasilia to see some architecture. That would require flying on different airlines that are only in South America, that I have no idea about. I have this vision that their planes are held together with duct tape and are decade old throwaways. Is it safer and smarter to just fly direct from the US to São Paulo and not mess around?

Nearby is Caxambu where I went for a meeting. Then we stayed in a posada, (ranch), in Itatiaia National Park (Parque Nacional do Itatiaia). Cool to see one of their National Parks.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    I have this vision that their planes are held together with duct tape and are decade old throwaways. Is it safer and smarter to just fly direct from the US to São Paulo and not mess around?
    use to hop around the country quite a bit, they are safe, airports are crazy and crowded. I flew GOL mostly in country, United to / from for the points.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ines_of_Brazil

United from where?

denver > houston > sao paulo (Guarulhos)

São Paulo

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    denver > houston > sao paulo (Guarulhos)
    Looks like 10.5 hours from Houston...what plane did you fly? 777 or ?

I wonder if there's a place to go halfway to break up the long trip? Panama for a few days?

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Since I've never been to South America, I'm brainstorming add ons to the trip, i.e. flying to Lima for a few days to see Machu Picchu or Brasilia to see some architecture. That would require flying on different airlines that are only in South America, that I have no idea about. I have this vision that their planes are held together with duct tape and are decade old throwaways. Is it safer and smarter to just fly direct from the US to São Paulo and not mess around?
    Please look at a map. You realize South America is quite big, right?
    After 12 hours of flying with a kiddo in tow, I'd kick up feet in SP and relax.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Please look at a map. You realize South America is quite big, right?
    After 12 hours of flying with a kiddo in tow, I'd kick up feet in SP and relax.
    Haha good point

its a hell of a long flight, longer direct to Argentina. a good muscle relaxer, couple stiff drinks and let the flight jockey wake you up at the destination. wear a bib, the drooling all over the shirt can be rather embarrassing.

I spent time outside São Paulo proper so can't say much about the city but I did drive to Rio and had an awesome time. I'd highly recommend spending a few days in Paraty if possible although I heard it's gained popularity since I was there 12 years ago.

Seems Sao Paulo is always on those TV shows, When Shit Happens or When Goodtimes Go Bad. Good Luck.
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    I'll keep my job, my money and my guns and you can keep the change.
    From my cold dead hands.

Thankfully we would be there with locals who we went to college with, and it sounds like we'll actually be out of the city most of the time, out in the country.