Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Bishop BMF telemark binding

Wow. I just poached the SIA booths this week and got to try a new tele binding, the Bishop BMF. I'm not in the ski industry so excuse my lack of pro writing about gear. I'm just a consumer who is somewhat of a gear junkie.

I currently ski the Outlaw which I love the ski feel of but am looking forward to them tweaking out some small bugs in getting in and out. I understand that is coming soon. I was on Rotteffela Freerides and Freedoms prior and much prefer the Outlaw. But read on, this is pretty exciting for the telemark brethren. Might even bring some defectors back from AT bondage.

You probably recall the old Bishop Bomber from years back. The company sold not long ago to an engineer that loves to tele and wow what a job he has done with this new binding.
    Here is a bullet list rundown of what it's about:
    • Fits both NTN or duckbill boots with your choice of toe piece.
    • Full step-in function.
    • Wraps around heel, not duck butt on NTN boots. This completely eliminates that awkward pivot point on NTN's.
    • Incredibly smooth and linear flex pattern, not drastically accelerated like Free-rides.
    • Very powerful edge control on hardback conditions I skied.
    • Weight is between a Freedom and a Freeride.
    • Bomb proof construction.
    • Same or better lateral stability as a Freeride or the old Bishop Bomber.
    • Tour mode felt totally free although I only skied lift service with it. I just tried the tour mode while standing.
    • You can drop down about as far as you want. It keeps flexing unlike any NTN's I've tried that seem to just stop. I have adjusted my own style to my NTN's to be more upright all the time but this was really nice to be able to drop down further at times.
    • Did I say SMOOTH??
    • Second ski kit available just like the Freeride. Bishop has another name for it but I forgot what it is.
    • Hole pattern matches 22 Designs 6-hole template. THANK YOU!!
    • One size adjustable to any boot. No more "Small or Large".
      {*}

I'm assuming this will hit the market sometime this year. I was on a prototype that seems just about ready. Don't know anything about price.

Bishop BMF is a BAD MOTHER F** tele binding for sure.

Pics or it didn't happen?

Hold on, this could change my BFD life! Need to know more.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

interesting...
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

stoked....

'Bout time!!

During my 75 mm tele days, I was a self professed Bishop Bomber fanatic. I loved how they felt and worked for my style. Fast FWD ~ 10 yrs to the eargerly awaited Bishop NTN offering = left underwhelmed. I really wanted the duck butt attachment (performance) and the elimination of the loooong spring tubes (reliability). It will be interesting to hear more feedback re performance and reliability. I hope they sell a ton, if nothing else that owner is really cool and to obviously put pressure on Roteffella to evolve their offerings.

Pic of BMF:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BMF-R Detail Still.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	676.0 KB 
ID:	198959
    "Not all who wander are lost"

Quote Originally Posted by mn_teleskier View Post
    I really wanted the duck butt attachment (performance) . . . .
    For some, that's definitely true. I personally tend to agree with their view that the heel attachment allows for a more progressive, continuous bend.

Of course, I'd also prefer a standard 4- or 6-hole mount pattern since that jives with the BF insert pattern I currently have on too many skis.

New Bishop BMF telemark binding

Haven't you guys heard? Telemark is dead. It's official, PowMag had an article about it this issue, so it must be true.

It's true. That's why I mostly make alpine turns on my tele gear.

But I am interested in the binding.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I will buy a pair if they will fit on the original Bishop mount plate. Something tells me they won't though. Anyone know?

I see it has brakes but, looks like it lacks release function?

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Not sure what these really "bring to the table" that's sooooo different from other NTN stuff. I gotta say that I REALLY don't like those two long posts sticking out of the back of the binding. Some much for a compact design, and I really like having the smaller "footprint" of the duck-butt. Kinda keep all the power coming from a lower point of the "system", as well as from a more "focused" spot. I can only imagine the headaches of snow building up under those posts too...

Knowing Bishop, these are gonna cost an arm and a leg. I'll stick with my Outlaws. I love the way they ski, feel, look. really a step up from Rotte IMO.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetdaddy View Post
    I see it has brakes but, looks like it lacks release function?
    Rotte NTN release is shit, and might as well not exist. I had a buddy who had a leg completely ripped apart on a groomer by NTN. I got pretty banged up a couple times too, so I don't really put any "trust" in the releasability claimed with NTN.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Looks heavy. Not sure how much licensing the duckbutt attachment have eaten into their margins, but the design around looks like a lot of extra material has to be used. The Outlaw is a great binding, but would have been interested in this if they took the Rotte license and kept it lighter and more compact.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    I will buy a pair if they will fit on the original Bishop mount plate. Something tells me they won't though. Anyone know?
    I recall seeing a post from Bishop folks (on FB) that the BMFs, unfortunately, would not work with the original mount plates.

If you have big feet, the heel posts won't be sticking out that far. They made the binding so small and large feet fit on one binding. But yeah, if you're a 24.0, you're gonna have some steel tail bouncing up and down.

I was praying for a marriage of the Bomber 2.0 and the Rotte Freedom- hence my lack of enthusiasm.
    "Not all who wander are lost"

People still telemark?

Making a comeback along with acid wash jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    People still telemark?
    Allegedly.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    People still telemark?
    Usually with their poles too long and double planting the whole way across the slope.

Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    I recall seeing a post from Bishop folks (on FB) that the BMFs, unfortunately, would not work with the original mount plates.

If you have big feet, the heel posts won't be sticking out that far. They made the binding so small and large feet fit on one binding. But yeah, if you're a 24.0, you're gonna have some steel tail bouncing up and down.
    This is good to know. I ski low and heel posts aka ass impalers look scary. At least my boots are 30.0s.

telemark is not dead it just smells funny
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by ski-wpk View Post
    This is good to know. I ski low and heel posts aka ass impalers look scary. At least my boots are 30.0s.
    Some might enjoy that...
    Gravity. It's the law.