Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fireplace tools

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    Nailed it. And don't get one of those stupid little shovels.. just get a metal dust pan. You'll also want a short metal trash can and these gloves. Between the gloves (you can pick up and hold a burning log for 20+ seconds), and stuff that would go in the fire anyway, no additional utensils should be required. You might want to check the gloves periodically... I've replaced mine twice - both times after realizing there was a hole in the glove while my hand was in the stove. I'm sure there's a better way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyGroomer View Post
    Get a longer poker but this is all you need. Like Core Shot said, hardware store should have it. Poker, cheap shovel, ash bucket, glove. Dog.
    Attachment 198883
    Nice- BT's are my dog of choice too.

In the front:

In the rear:

Obligatory

Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post
    My cape cod fire starter works pretty good.

http://www.gardeners.com/buy/cape-co...er/35-438.html
    I forgot that. My dad had a cast iron tray with a ceramic insert, poured kerosene in it. Burned long enough to dry wet wood and catch it on fire.

Your item I had not seen. Much easier to use on a daily basis.
    . . .

I don't wear black-framed glasses or ride a fixie but Java-Logs are pretty cool.

Stoker poker

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    In the front:

In the rear:
    I've been after that bottle of Hirsch for a long time. Had a few pours once and fell in love.

Great White Buffalo.
    I still call it The Jake.

As said.. get a poker, and figure out how you'll remove ashes.

Forget the tongs, just learn how fires burn and how to move logs efficiently with a stick.

Thread drift here since we seem to have resolved the tool issue...what are thoughts on using Pine occasionally in the fireplace?

No problem, lots of people burn nothing but pine. But you will need to deal with a lot more creosote buildup if it's all you burn. Mix it up with other wood and don't sweat it.

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    Thread drift here since we seem to have resolved the tool issue...what are thoughts on using Pine occasionally in the fireplace?
    Usually not a problem as long as you take most of the twinkle lights off.
    I still call it The Jake.

I use the poker more than any other tool--not just for moving logs but mainly for encouraging the fire when it wants to poop out. Gauntlets second. Rarely need the tongs. My wife uses the brush and scoop. I don't. But I have a stove, not a fireplace--works best if I leave the ashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tips^Up View Post
    Our new house has a wood burning fireplace. We're also in an area with few shopping options, so I'm looking at crap from amazon. I figure we need a poker, grabber tong thing, broom and scoop for ashes and bellow. What do you have for fireplace stuff?

Is it weird that I trust TGR more than any other review site...for basically everything?
    The best investment you can make with a fireplace is to get a wood stove insert and stop sucking cold air into your house.

We have a fireplace upstairs. Moved in over Christmas, with no fireplace preparation. I think a chainsaw is in my future.

The lock-off downstairs has a real nice wood burning stove. I gotta pull it out of there before the tenants burn us down, but I've tried to think how to repurpose it. The wife already shot down a wood-burning hot tub.

I have a poker, ash rake, shovel and broom set. I wish I got the longer ones because I have a big stove. I never thought I'd use the rake but I use it lots to move the ashes to the clean out hole in the bottom of the stove. If you get a broom get a corn broom, those nylon ones suck, think nylon and fire, the ends get slightly burned and curled and next you know it's ugly and fucked. I've never used the grabber tongs I was given. Fire proof gloves are good. I also have a chimney brush and rod fully assembled that lives on the roof by the chimney. Takes minutes to clean a chimney if the brush is ready to go. Bernzomatic and propane or map gas makes life easy.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Youtubes attracts firewood and fireplace fans, some real interesting stuff on there:

I'm trying to justify the cost of one of these cool tools (skip to 1:05 to see it in action):

There's also this easy looking way to make kindling, and I may need to pop in to some flea markets and find a tool named a Froe:

o5daBhSvqSc
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    these ^^ are great, I found one on the beach seakayak camping so I tried it out and it still worked in spite of being imersed in the ocean so I took it along using it to light my camp fires
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    No problem, lots of people burn nothing but pine. But you will need to deal with a lot more creosote buildup if it's all you burn. Mix it up with other wood and don't sweat it.
    Pine doesn't produce any more creosote than other species, that's a myth. Burning a lot of wet or green wood and not getting your pipe hot fast and keeping it that way is where the creosote issues really come from. I burn 4-5 cords a season, almost all of it is pine and I don't have any issues but I'm using a stove, not a fireplace.
    The Sheriff is near!

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Bimble View Post
    Pine doesn't produce any more creosote than other species, that's a myth. Burning a lot of wet or green wood and not getting your pipe hot fast and keeping it that way is where the creosote issues really come from. I burn 4-5 cords a season, almost all of it is pine and I don't have any issues but I'm using a stove, not a fireplace.
    Truth...season it correctly and it could be any kind of wood (within reason). Also, fuck those apparatuses that make kindling, get a maul and make it yourself unless you’re selling it commercially.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    Truth...season it correctly and it could be any kind of wood (within reason). Also, fuck those apparatuses that make kindling, get a maul and make it yourself unless you’re selling it commercially.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I got a Fiskars splitting axe. Pricey but badass. Great for busting up some kindling and bigger shit too.
    The Sheriff is near!

One more video, this one from CSAI/Chimney Safety Institute of America on how to start a fire.

I thought I knew this, from the 'that's always how we did it' chapter of life. Not so according to these guys.

Link

“The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

^^ huh.

News to me too

Yes, I'm eager to test this to see if it really works as they say.

Quotes from their website, see link:

"...This method is a “light it and you’re done” procedure. No more fiddling with larger pieces of wood falling on the struggling new fire. Notably, only a little smoke is created as the fire burns cleanly from the top of the stack."

"The real key is to make the kindling small enough to easily ignite on top of the pile. All of the wood should be dry, but this is especially critical of the wood at the top."

Last edited by Nobody Famous; 11-04-2018 at 04:52 PM.