Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Will I be able to rent a car in France?

Rented a car a few years ago and got one of those camera speeding tickets (7:00 AM on a deserted road in the Alps on the way to La Grave when I realized I had left my ski boots behind--ended up driving back to get them a little too fast).

Received the notice a month or two after I got back, and could barely make sense of the bureaucratic French (was hoping to find a way to contest it, but the notice was about 4 pages of dense text). Never paid it--when I show up to rent a car in France will this keep me from doing so? Any way to figure this out in advance (when you reserve a car they don't run everything through the computer until you're actually in France)? And if I have to pay the fine (god knows how expensive it will be now) how do I do that?
    [quote][//quote]

I have a cousin in France and I could ask him to look into it.
    PM if you don't get a clear answer here
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

Thanks. A clear answer here is always a roll of the dice, but sometimes it works...
    [quote][//quote]

Dexter, if you've ever seen Papillon you'll know the French prisons are no joke.

I had an uncle who was captured in North Africa during the big one and lost a leg in a French prison.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Are you sure you didn't already pay it? IME (Italy) with a couple of camera speeding tickets (my wife who was driving refused to believe the GPS which told us we were in a camera zone) and a ticket for driving in some restricted area--but we have no idea where that was, maybe Cervinia--they ticket the rental car company, the rental car company takes it out of your credit card--you have no say in the matter unless you dispute the charge and good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    in the Alps on the way to La Grave
    humblebrag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

My understand of French law is that if you are core enough to ski Le Grave, speeding tickets are automatically suspended and a French prostitute will be waiting for you at the rental counter.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

No matter what happens with the ticket, you're sure to experience some first rate engineering and all the driving excitement of a puddle of grits.

I still call it The Jake.

If you have a problem, call Jerry Lewis. The frogs love him
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

It was surprise me if they did criminal background checks on every rental car application. Anywhere.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    It was surprise me if they did criminal background checks on every rental car application. Anywhere.
    I'm still unable to rent a car in the UK due to an overdue library book fine from late 90's

Just wear a beret with a Gitane hanging out of your mouth at the rental counter and you'll pass as a frogger or just use a different rental agency than the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I'm still unable to rent a car in the UK due to an overdue library book fine from late 90's
    That seems awfully book-dependent.
    I still call it The Jake.

Go find an Airb&b close to the court you can appeal to, hire a lawyer who is heavy into Satre and good food and wine, and entertain yourself in the courtroom listening to his argument whether or not you, you know, we're really even there to do the crime, because, where are we when we are? and, really, isn't it just a boojwah fantasy to even say what a crime is? Then pay him by taking him and friends to some great little places to eat close by, debating, I don't know, politics and/or soccer over your meals. Voila!

Thanks. A clear answer here is always a roll of the dice, but sometimes it works...
    So far not so good
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Satre
    Falling off the chair lift at philosophy?

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Just wear a beret
    Do you really think that Dex would be seen dead...... not wearing a beret while in France?

Haha, I did the same thing in Switzerland in 2011. Whenever I return I expect to be accosted at the airport and forced to pay some huge fee although I have no idea what would really happen.

I once many years ago rented a car with an expired, punched, and invalid dl. The agent gave it a look, took my money, and told me where to pick up the car.

But, that was Argentina. The a-factor was on my side that time for once.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I once many years ago rented a car with an expired, punched, and invalid dl. The agent gave it a look, took my money, and told me where to pick up the car.

But, that was Argentina. The a-factor was on my side that time for once.
    I rented a car in Bariloche that handled so evilly that I had a closer look around, under it.

It was clearly a very, very badly done cut and shut.

When I called the rental agency and complained they just said, "Yes, So?"

The A-factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerome View Post
    Haha, I did the same thing in Switzerland in 2011. Whenever I return I expect to be accosted at the airport and forced to pay some huge fee although I have no idea what would really happen.
    Me too but in 2008. Same kind of question to the group: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...elp?highlight=

As it turned out, the ticket was for 59 in a 50 on camera. I got hold of the proper officials somehow, don't remember how, and they forgave the ticket. I've been back a couple of times since, rented cars, and haven't had any problems. I think it may depend on how much over the limit you were and/or whether you're unlucky enough for them to check. From the responses I got, you could be rolling the dice once there.

I have first hand experience of Swiss speeding tickets in rental cars. Never paid one, received many. Never had an issue renting from the same company...
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Do you really think that Dex would be seen dead...... not wearing a beret while in France?
    In France? What is this 'in' business? My beret never comes off, motherfucker.
    [quote][//quote]

In France? What is this 'in' business? My beret never comes off, motherfucker.
    http://videos.sapo.pt/t190riK23KaPeOd3N5Bq
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Me too but in 2008. Same kind of question to the group: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...elp?highlight=

As it turned out, the ticket was for 59 in a 50 on camera. I got hold of the proper officials somehow, don't remember how, and they forgave the ticket. I've been back a couple of times since, rented cars, and haven't had any problems. I think it may depend on how much over the limit you were and/or whether you're unlucky enough for them to check. From the responses I got, you could be rolling the dice once there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck_Schmuck View Post
    I have first hand experience of Swiss speeding tickets in rental cars. Never paid one, received many. Never had an issue renting from the same company...
    Very interesting. I was doing something like 120kph in a 100kph zone. They airmailed me two tickets. I probably still have them somewhere. That was in 2011 when I was off work and was a full time ski bum so I thought I'd save myself $60. When I go to France this spring, I'll assume it won't matter, and someday when I return to Swiss land someday, I'll look into it in advance.

A bunch of scofflaws on this board.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang