Beast 16 / Speed Radical combo

Anybody running this combo with inserts? Any hole overlap issues to worry about? I haven't been able to find a good mounting template for the B16 to make this easy to figure out.

I'm currently running Markerfit plates with a speed radical/Lord SP combo, but have been thinking that the Beast 16 might give me everything that I like about the Lord with the ability to tour.

I have Dynafit Beast boots - is the rear tech fitting beast 16 compatible or do I need the special horseshoe?

Seth

I think I found the answers to two of those questions. There is a Beast thread where Spyderjon posted pics of hole overlap. In addition, the Dynafit website suggests that the mastertech fittings in the Beast boot are Beast 16 compatible.

I'd still love to hear from anybody running this combo.

Seth

Not really a goer unless you're happy with the inserts being pretty close. Here's a pic of the locations plus a Beast 14 toe as well. Jigs set at the same 310mm BSL's for all bindings & all mounted on the line. The Beast heels are mounted at +4mm so you can access the insert screws without adjusting the binding length which is a pain.

The rearmost toe inserts of a Beast 16 & a Spd Rad actually share the same inserts but the front toe holes are really too close for comfort, especially if on a lightweight/non metal ski. I probably wouldn't do it for a customer but on a decent core'd ski (especially if it had a good carbon content) I'd be tempted to do it for myself but I'm not aggressive & I don't huck.

There's a direct conflict at the front heel holes as well but by offsetting both heel bindings it's doable but you'd have to adjust the Beast heel length every time you swap.

Wow, thanks Jon!!

Currently, I'm on a single boot (bsl 320), but may want to add a lighter boot for longer tours in the future (TLT6 or similar). If I mounted the Speed radical heels at ~+10mm to account for smaller bsl of a different boot and left the B16 heel (+4mm), would that be enough separation on the foremost heel holes?

Adjusting the heels on the Beasts would not be a deal breaker - I'm doing more than that with my Lords currently when I swap.

I'm heavier (~195 lbs) but not super aggressive, nor do I huck.

Skis are Wailer 99s and RPCs - both pure w/ high carbon content.

What do you think about the toe holes (middle Beast, foremost radical)?

Seth

Talking

Yep, that's a good solution. And a good strength test for your DPS's (although IIRC their warranty says a min of 10mm separation).

And yes, the Beast boot has the new Masterfit insert so which works with the Beast binding - in fact the Power Inserts that come with the Beast binding won't actually fit that boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    ...And a good strength test for your DPS's (although IIRC their warranty says a min of 10mm separation).
    My only concern with going this direction is that I already have 8 holes per ski for the Markerfit plates that are currently on there. I may be asking too much out of these skis...

Seth

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    My only concern with going this direction is that I already have 8 holes per ski for the Markerfit plates that are currently on there. I may be asking too much out of these skis...
    Seth
    Good point, I'd overlooked that.

I think I can mock up where the holes would land now that I have your pictures to see if there are any real issues. Thanks for the support Jon. If you have any recommendations, feel free to fire them over.

Seth

I played around with spacing for Verts and B16's and this was the best I could come up with. The only way I could make it work was a shift of 2.5 cm from the line on one of the mounts, being the vertical mount being the forward most. I did this on a handful of pairs and had good luck. With that said I ended up ditching the B16's to simplify my quiver.

Not sure if this helps or not. I don't know how much different the radical mount is vs the vertical.

That's actually really helpful - thanks for posting those pictures. The radical heel is identical. The forward toe holes on the radical are just behind (if memory serves) the 5th toe hole on the Vertical. If I back up the toe of the radical, the holes will be close to the middle pair on the beast, but maybe far enough.

If I understand what you wrote, you shifted the Vertical mount 2.5cm forward, is that correct? Did that put your boot center 2.5cm forward of the line?

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    The rearmost toe inserts of a Beast 16 & a Spd Rad actually share the same inserts but the front toe holes are really too close for comfort, especially if on a lightweight/non metal ski.
    Jon,

Would you mind measuring this distance for me?

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    That's actually really helpful - thanks for posting those pictures. The radical heel is identical. The forward toe holes on the radical are just behind (if memory serves) the 5th toe hole on the Vertical. If I back up the toe of the radical, the holes will be close to the middle pair on the beast, but maybe far enough.

If I understand what you wrote, you shifted the Vertical mount 2.5cm forward, is that correct? Did that put your boot center 2.5cm forward of the line?

Seth
    You are correct if my memory is right. The vertical mount was 2.5 cm forward of the line if the B16's were on it. This was for the same BSL so keep that in mind if you will be swapping boots. I did this with inserts for both bindings on a few pairs and they have held up fine, carbon skis and no metal. The spacing is tight but I haven't had a problem on any of them.