Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post

Strike! Strike! Strike!
    That'll get the chairs open faster.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    bro u made a thread so people could bitch and not cunt up the tahoe thread and its worked like a charm. whats the problem? let the people vent

i feel for u folks up north. your once best in class resorts can't run worth a shit, u can't drive anywhere without traffic, and u get towed from yer limited bc parking spots. id be bitching too
    Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    This is TGR, jong, not a safe space on a college campus. If I were speaking directly to patrol I wouldn't be blase when referring to hand charges. What happened was tragic, but that doesn't have anything to do with the fact that they got headwall open for many, many years right on schedule without a gaz-ex.

This. End of story. Mammoth has been getting even more snow, deals with just as much if not more wind, and you don't see them making a bunch of excuses. They're just loading up on staff and getting shit done like a proper ski area should. I don't see Squaw lowering ticket prices on days where they don't deliver, so they should expect to hear about it.

I do feel bad for the employees who are probably overwhelmed. Having said that, they need to keep their cool and direct their anger upwards where it belongs. Paying customers have every right to be angry. Also, for lockers that cost over $1k, I'd be kind of annoyed if they weren't open on time either. https://www.facebook.com/skisofast/v...4565102533650/
    Not sure where you got this information. Mammoth consistently does not get the top open until 1.5-2.5 days after a storm. They took 3 days to dig out chair 14 after this last storm - does that mean they are understaffed? (Side note: I used to help shovel at kt all the time, once or twice at headwall. That was over 10 years ago though)

On wednesday chair 22 was broken first thing. When they got it fixed (no mention of maintenance hold on the website) it went on wind hold. When it cleared wind hold we were told it was about to load, they sent a liftie up and then...turns out its on patrol hold so they can dig out and mark 16 (understaffed?). I only know this because I was close enough to hear, mammoth doesn't do mountain ops updates on a blog, app or Twitter like squaw does

And nobody complains. Squaw people would lose their minds

Quote Originally Posted by B.Gillis View Post
    ... They've definitely tried to make a few changes to attract more employees but it's just not a luxurious job for most people.
    Why on earth would ANYBODY want to be a liftie when you can buy a season pass for $300-500?

People used to work at ski resorts to get season passes. Now they're almost free.
    Still waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    That'll get the chairs open faster.
    Well considering how slow they open now, no one will be losing out too much But if the strike results in KSL selling Squaw and Alpine then that's a big win.

Official KSL Bitch AND Bitch about people bitching about KSL thread

Hudge weekend. One person at Icebar. 30 min line for the after hike beer I wanted. Fuck you KSL
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

I have a squaw pass to ski April and May (and June when it's available).

Been there twice this year so far, and share a locker.

Was good both times, but I get there really early and go reverse loading on the crowd flow.

Sorry to cherry pick you from another thread, but...

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The guy behind me in the KT line waiting for the lift to open. "They should have it open by now". Nonstop for 45 minutes. I finally told him to give it a rest.
    Name:  zn0gfl0f2gxa3ujhkken.png
Views: 1080
Size:  297.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jed peters View Post
    I have a squaw pass to ski April and May (and June when it's available).

Been there twice this year so far, and share a locker.

Was good both times, but I get there really early and go reverse loading on the crowd flow.
    ^^ This

Official KSL Bitch AND Bitch about people bitching about KSL thread

I'm mostly at KW, and rarely at Squaw or Alpine theses days.

KW took several days to open terrain during the last cycle. It is not a big mountain like Squaw. Upper mountain at KW is similar to KT. Nothing like the expanse of Squaw's upper mountain.

KW was able to open 10 and 6 on Wednesday. It was closed at the Eagle line and Lightening. They got about 8" of fluff overnight. In the morning Thursday they opened 10 and 6 early with the Eagle to top of 6 open. The road to Sentinel was closed until about 2PM. It was open oh dart at that point. Eagle popped soon after. On Friday there was no new snow. They opened chairs 2 and 3 at 2PM. Chair 4 opened at 2:45.

Reading this thread I hear about how slow Squaw is at opening and how places like KW are getting the upper mountain open. Sure, Chair 6 is a blast. But that is a far reach from even getting HW and Sibo and Granite open. Let alone Silvo.

I dunno. Sounds like too many people go there. Blame the cheap pass for sure. But this winter has been unique. Look at the amount of snow and remember how many times it rained to 9K.

KW and 88 seem to opening slower than usual this year. Kind of makes sense tho.

But I was stoked on the inbounds skiing that was had this week at KW. Fuck lines. They ran out of parking on Saturday and you could basically roll onto any frontside lift. That they were skiing great. Does not mean this place is run well. They didn't even run shuttles to residents this weekend, so most of us took the prime parking spots early.

So, do keep in mind that some of us whiners have passes at both resorts and have in the past. In other words, we pay close attention to what's getting open at both during the same storm cycles. Squawlpine is way off this year. Way off. Agree Squaw and KW are very different but Alpine is a little more similar. There's a reason even the tourists are complaining.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Not trying to pass judgement. Just sharing an observation. And to share that IMO, Vail has done little to improve operations at KW. I talk to many on the lifts who feel it is worse off. Although, whenever someone complains about the ingress, parking, ticket price, communications, shuttles, services, openings, closures, changing rules, security personnel, ski school, egress... I ask them if they heard about what was happening at Squaw this year.

Personally, I fear more Vail passholders showing up next year. Be fore warned, KW gets traversed out pretty quickly these days.

For what it's worth, this weekend was pretty amazingly great at Squaw. Amazing what having the whole mountain open does to lift lines. And props to the Squaw race coaches who put together an awesome ski week, even when the mini-mighty might terrain options were limited by the various forms of holds. Mountain ops and patrol are clearly busting their asses. We've got to figure out a way to make KSL pay attention without taking anything away from the people who put together various parts of the mountain experience.

Quote Originally Posted by B.Gillis View Post
    Have any of you guys ever worked at a ski resort?

. Squalpine did away with drug testing this fall but prior to that both resorts required pre-employment tests. I'm 95% positive they were the only resorts in the North Lake area to require that. So dropping that was huge and I know a decent amount of folks that applied there this year that hadn't worked there in years past.
    Mammoth did random drug testing for one season. Total disaster with the end result that chairs weren't being opened due to lack of liftee's. At the end of the day you would have to fire up a bong load in order to maintain sanity. Later Mammoth relaxed its tattoo policy as it became impossible to hire liftee's without visible tats (neck and full sleeves).

Silveradoclosed again today, why? According to FBpost, someone called and they are only running it for the weekend crowd.

Can anyoneverify?

Quote Originally Posted by SP_7 View Post
    Silveradoclosed again today, why? According to FBpost, someone called and they are only running it for the weekend crowd.

Can anyoneverify?
    It's on the schedule for tomorrow, no opening time given. We shall see.

Silverado and granite both opened today and we're chewed up and spat out by 1030 when I got there.
    Early birds got the powder today, I got the chunky leftovers. Still a good day though.

Solitude was closed though so that was a head scratcher.

I have yet to see Silverado and Solitude running at the same time since ksl took over.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    I have yet to see Silverado and Solitude running at the same time since ksl took over.
    Operating efficiencies.

Solitude has been down for a while--broken?

Solitude hasn't opened since the last storm. There was no update on a reason on their operations blog last Friday.

To the lift op on Headwall--my apologies. When I said "No use working hard" I was talking about me not scrambling to catch the chair and instead waiting for the next one, since there was no line. I wasn't talking about you. I know you guys work hard.

Well, it has been a couple of weeks since unofficialalpine closed down and I have to say I am frustrated and a little worried.

They were the best source I had found to find out about any and all actions related to ksl and their development plans.

Having access to key dates for meetings, etc was so important to the community. Now I feel there is a purposeful black hole regarding information the community needs to stay on top of these developments.
    The new unofficialsqualpine blog offers nothing outside of backward looking daily ski reports. Thanks, but I know what the skiing was like yesterday.

I am worried that ksl has done a good job silencing opposition and removing tools we used to communicate and unify so they can move forward with less resistance. I wish someone connected and "in the know" could get an information portal open.

There is so much more at stake here than missing a few hours of powder turns because a lift didn't open earlier.

- a concerned Truckee resident

It's not that hard to find the basic information. Follow Keep Squaw True and/or Friends of Olympic Valley on Facebook, for example.

I'd suggest following Sierra Watch and their Keep Squaw True page on social media. Or their website directly. They put out all that information. Beyond that, I suspect you'll see people posting stuff in this thread.

Edit: Doh. That's what I get for not refreshing the page before posting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.