Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34
    The Independence Lake/Disney Project would've been one for the books- not much documentation left on that one. I worked on the EIR from the FS side of the fence, fall of '76 vintage I think (until winter drove us out of the woods). Plan was for a Disney themed mini-Whistler village on the flats where the outlet streams are. Lifts going up the South face of Mt. Lola and the North face of Carpenter Ridge would be served by a steam train around the lake at lake level, with covered open sided cars to transport skiers.

As I recall the crux move that killed it was the state/county would require the 17 mile stretch of 89N be a 4 lane "freeway" (bridges included, at Disney expense), or the state was no go on the project. The end.
    "if you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind..."

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Y’all know there’s planning for fees for tourists to enter the basin by passenger vehicle?
    Wat? Linky plz.

LR, I'd love to see it!

wolfy, that story is ridiculous. 4 lanes! more info: https://www.dizavenue.com/2016/07/th...ly-talked.html
    sproing!

Oh yeah! The train idea. I remember reading about that now.

IIRC, they wanted to do a cog railway or similar all the way up the existing Mineral King Road and have it be snowbound. Not surprising that Disney was involved with SB too in terms of the snowbound/true Euro-style village too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Wat? Linky plz.

LR, I'd love to see it!

wolfy, that story is ridiculous. 4 lanes! more info: https://www.dizavenue.com/2016/07/th...ly-talked.html
    http://tahoetransportation.org/blog/...ing-solutions/

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

Y’all know there’s planning for fees for tourists to enter the basin by passenger vehicle?
    How in the hell would that even work, logistically? Especially in the winter? A Fast track station on highway 80 and 50? That would be interesting in a snow storm.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    How in the hell would that even work, logistically? Especially in the winter? A Fast track station on highway 80 and 50? That would be interesting in a snow storm.
    Idk

Look at the link that I sent, there’s a pdf file. Tolls are another option on the short list.

The TTD wants $1.53 billion for a 23 year transportation plan in the Tahoe Basin. I'll put tolls and this plan in my pipe dream pipe and smoke it.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    The TTD wants $1.53 billion for a 23 year transportation plan in the Tahoe Basin. I'll put tolls and this plan in my pipe dream pipe and smoke it.
    Likely not a pipe dream

They gotta do something to improve roads, traffic, and transportation. The area has some big traffic and transportation problems that need $$ thrown at them to develop solutions.

From a natural hazard standpoint, what happens if there’s a wildfire in the basin near a development, over Labor Day weekend or a dry thanksgiving time, during a red flag wind event? wintertime reasonable worst case: large EQ during a big winter (roofs overloaded) in the middle of a big winter event over a holiday weekend.

Where and how are people going to get out of there and how are first responders going to get to the affected areas?

I'm fine paying a few extra bucks every time I drive into the basin. With gas costs what's a few extra dollars on top of it? Just so long as they do it right and don't make the traffic shit show even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The talk about connecting AM to Homewood was just talk, never any actual plan. There was planning for a lift to the head of Ward Canyon (High T), that never went anywhere. Nowadays the idea is ludicrous--the money is in building luxury condos.
    That worked out pretty well for KW.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    If people want to protect wilderness how about using the money to lobby for a Castle Peak Wilderness?
    Made me laugh. I can just imagine the ‘mechanized backcountry users’ revving vintage two strokes in support of this notion

Would be a meaningful place for wilderness designation though, you’re right

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

As for tolls I feel like 50 and 80 could handle something like that. I can only imagine the joy of facilitating that on 89 or 431 in the winter

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    As for tolls I feel like 50 and 80 could handle something like that. I can only imagine the joy of facilitating that on 89 or 431 in the winter

Through the link that I posted, the short list is:
    -cordon pricing – basin entry fee (it looks like those “scored” highest in earlier evaluations),
    -vehicle miles traveled (VMT) fee,
    -tolling,
    -zoned transportation user fee, and
    -vacancy tax.

That link describes their next phase of evaluation of that list of 5, “third tier screening,” which will look at the following:
    -revenue potential
    -admin effectiveness
    -political feasibility/public acceptance
    -fungibility across used/jurisdictions
    -impacts to regional economy

Still waiting for that Gondola/Tram from Silver Lake to Kirkwood

How about a gondola to SF?

Possibly, but then what about Nevadans? I know they love to avoid taxes but come on!

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    How about a gondola to SF?
    They’re working on it in increments, that little gondola elevator at the sales force building is a proof of concept test.

Made me laugh. I can just imagine the ‘mechanized backcountry users’ revving vintage two strokes in support of this notion

Would be a meaningful place for wilderness designation though, you’re right

Don't laugh too hard. The Truckee Donner Land Trust is working on acquiring Frog Lake and purchased lower Carpenter Valley. The Trust has openly discussed purchasing the land necessary to create a Castle Peak Wilderness. As far as snowmobiles go the road to Castle Pass is already closed to snowmobiles. The trail to Castle Pass is the PCT and is closed to bikes.

As far as what I said about the money being in real estate--I should have said that investment money is going into real estate development. Doesn't mean that the effort has always been profitable.